News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Official Coronavirus Discussion

Started by peAk, February 27, 2020, 07:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSkellington

All Italy is in lockdown. We can't go out except for necessity.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

culturejam

Quote from: EBK on March 09, 2020, 05:16:03 PM
There is finally a confirmed case within 10 miles of me.  I need to stock up on beer very soon (not Corona beer).  Priorities.

I bought a 1.5L vodka last week and put it in my "bunker box" of supplies.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Aentons

Quote from: JackSkellington on March 10, 2020, 01:50:05 AM
All Italy is in lockdown. We can't go out except for necessity.

Do you mean out of the country, or out of your house?

SirEgno

As always it's the Italian way. We have a Ministerial Decree that obliges us to minimize travel outside the home, but there are a lot of exceptions. Work necessities, health, and there are no controls. In case of a control I need an self-declaration of where I'm going and why.
Yesterday I went to the office to pick-up a shipping (electronic parts  8) ), from Lodi to Milan, about 35km and no-one asked me anything.

JackSkellington, where are you from?

Quote from: culturejam on March 10, 2020, 06:44:39 AM
Quote from: EBK on March 09, 2020, 05:16:03 PM
There is finally a confirmed case within 10 miles of me.  I need to stock up on beer very soon (not Corona beer).  Priorities.

I bought a 1.5L vodka last week and put it in my "bunker box" of supplies.
I have about 10 beer crates in my cellar. I'm ok for another couple of week. ;D

JackSkellington

I'm from Italy. ;)
This is crazyness. You hear professional in the tv says that alerted zone in China are solving somehow the contagion problem with the isolation, so now we know that's a solution. When somebody ask if we have to do the same thing the answer is... no. We have to do it, but just a bit, less extreme. Nonsense. Maybe we can't do it for many reason, but there's no logic in the speech we hear. It's like if they tell us to wash just the left hand.

I hope what we are doing now in Italy can help us, but I'm not a really good feeling about it.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

madbean

My daughter packed off to DC yesterday for her 8th grade field trip. There were some thoughts they might cancel it but in the end they decided to go with the school principal accompanying. I'll admit I am a little nervous but I want her to have this experience. I am starting to suspect the school to close down for a few weeks in the near future, which seems to be happening in some other states already (mostly colleges).

somnif

Quote from: madbean on March 10, 2020, 04:54:43 PM
My daughter packed off to DC yesterday for her 8th grade field trip. There were some thoughts they might cancel it but in the end they decided to go with the school principal accompanying. I'll admit I am a little nervous but I want her to have this experience. I am starting to suspect the school to close down for a few weeks in the near future, which seems to be happening in some other states already (mostly colleges).

I teach a college course, and while we haven't had any talk of shut downs, we have been getting updated attendance policy emails from HR. Basically boils down to "If a student says their doctor told them to quarantine, they're off the hook". We still need a doctors note saying it was done under advisement, but we won't drop/fail students for it.

Given I teach a hands-on, in-class lab, we're all trying to figure out just what the hell we'll do if the school does close up campus. Not like we can mail a bunch of desert landscape to our students to frolic around counting plants, nor do we expect them to keep dissection kits in their closets. (Granted my state has had fewer than 10 cases so far, and none within an hours drive of us yet, but at least plans are being made).

On the plus side, weird virus is weird, and kids are actually just about the safest group in this lunacy. Unless they need to poop, of course, that is now only for the rich and racketeers. (We haven't had anyone stealing TP at work yet, but that's probably because facilities stocks the stalls with industrial grade single ply)

thesmokingman

once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

EBK

Oh my! At 0:55 in that clip....
::)

BUT, I will say, if wearing two garbage bags and a some grocery bags calms you down, then please wear them!  I don't want to be near anyone who is not calm.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

benny_profane

COVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2 has just been officially declared a global pandemic by WHO. This would mark the first pandemic in history to be able to be controlled if public health measures prove to be effective.

pietro_moog

benny_profane

Quote from: pietro_moog on March 11, 2020, 11:24:04 AM
Take a look

This is a patent for the genetic sequence of the virus that causes SARS (also a coronavirus). There was an outbreak in 2003 and this is from the research of that outbreak. It's owned by the CDC to ensure public access to the information.

Please do not spread misinformation by jumping to conclusions about things that you do not understand.

EBK

I didn't see any attempt to spread any misinformation ("Take a look" didn't tell me anything about the patent or readily imply anything sinister).  Is the patent being used elsewhere for such a purpose?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Scruffie

Quote from: EBK on March 11, 2020, 12:29:11 PM
I didn't see any attempt to spread any misinformation ("Take a look" didn't tell me anything about the patent or readily imply anything sinister).  Is the patent being used elsewhere for such a purpose?
I believe he is referencing this post...
Quote from: pietro_moog on March 07, 2020, 04:21:46 PM
All i know about this Virus is that is a bioweapon planted by the US military in China at the war games of Wuhan.
Davos (the oligarchy) was preparing this since last year. The Virus first appeared in Italy in place very close to a US military base.
Works at Lectric-FX

benny_profane

Quote from: EBK on March 11, 2020, 12:29:11 PM

That patent (and others gleaned from a google patent search) are being used across the internet to suggest that the COVID-19 pandemic is a purposeful release associated with the CDC and USG. That patent is clearly about the 2003 SARS epidemic and related to open-access of the virus' genetic information.

Sowing baseless mistrust in public health institutions is irresponsible.