News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Official Coronavirus Discussion

Started by peAk, February 27, 2020, 07:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dont-tase-me-bro

Joe rogan had an infectious disease guy on - he lays out what science suggests will come in the US soon.  Very interesting show

I thought this would save me money.

jimilee

My daughters school canceled school next week and bumped up spring break to the week after, so Chattanooga is out of school for at least 2 weeks, maybe longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Agree with Bean that cool heads need to prevail.  I work for a major financial exchange and while we're doing Pandemic staffing maneuvers to see how it would affect day to day operations it's mostly business as usual.  With the recent flurry of trading activity our main concern is hard drives melting down due to intense activity.  Drives were never meant to deal with this sort of duty cycle.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

dan.schumaker

All non-essentials (ie. Not manufacturing or manufacturing support) are working from home for the next two weeks at my work.  I'll find out tomorrow how manufacturing support will be the next two weeks, I'm thinking working from home a few days for the next two weeks.

I'm worried about what this will look like the week after people get back from spring break.

somnif

My university is still working out ways to go digital if necessary. We just had our first confirmed case in my county (import, not local transmission) so the worry ratchet up a notch.

The trouble is I teach a hands-on, technique based class. Hard to test you on "Can you do a Gram stain" unless you actually can do a Gram stain. But I'm sure something will be worked out.

Annoyed they cancelled the book fair though, first time in years I actually have spare time enough to attend and it isn't happening.  :-\ C'est la vie.

And Remember:

thesmokingman

walmart is inexplicably out of dry goods like beans, rice, spam, and the like ... like we're going to lose electricity and running water. cashier told us they sold nine pallets of asswipe in minutes. I'm over here just doing my daily normal. I may end up being wrong and irresponsible but I just don't have the fear.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

somnif

Quote from: thesmokingman on March 12, 2020, 07:20:33 PM
walmart is inexplicably out of dry goods like beans, rice, spam, and the like ... like we're going to lose electricity and running water. cashier told us they sold nine pallets of asswipe in minutes. I'm over here just doing my daily normal. I may end up being wrong and irresponsible but I just don't have the fear.

Just stopped by the grocery store and found this:

I feel bad for all the dorm dwellers who will be starving soon.

alanp

I'm getting increasingly annoyed by a guy at work, who honestly does not seem to understand how the stock market works, and that your "money" in the stock market, is tied to the value of the shares you own. If the shares you own go down in value, you have less "money", and if they go up, so does your "money". I'm using quote marks because it is not actual, hard, spendable money until you sell those shares, at which point the money is tied to a set price at one point in time.

If I had spare money, I'd be buying shares in all the long term companies I can that have been dropping. Every single freakin' time an emergency happens, people sellsellsell, and what do you know, after things recover, the share prices go back up... weird, it's like stock prices fluctuate, who knew?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

peAk

Pretty much all schools in Houston closed for at least the rest of the month.

Rodeo canceled (Thank God, such a stupid event)

I'm with Brian, no point in blaming and conspiracy theories. Let's keep this thread informative.

Bio77

According to the wife, toilet paper, and dry goods are gone in SoCal.  Good news, still plenty of beer!  However, I will stock up tomorrow to be sure  ::) Funny to me that cough medicines and ibuprofen/acetaminophen are still available, those seem like more obvious things to hoard.  Also weird is the bottled water is sparse.  I don't think the virus will affect the faucet.

All the colleges are closed, I expect the elementary and high schools to close soon, my guess is a phone call tomorrow night. I'm lucky I have a high school kid to watch the younger kids, if this takes longer than expected.

I know the EU travel ban was reported to be for 30 days, but American Airlines isn't booking flights until after October.  My guess is that's the CDC plan, but the administration is trying to ease the public into it.

matmosphere

Fortunately I'm back to being a stay at home parent again. There's only one case five or six hours away in the entire country I'm in and a few that are suspected about four hours away. However the government has taken the step of closing schools, malls, movie theaters and large gatherings to make sure when this thing hits here that it doesn't spread like wildfire. The locals are pretty levelheaded and all seem to agree it's a good idea and that the government is being smart and the people are handling things well, so that's reassuring.

Kicker is my wife got a wicked case of influenza A and has been sick all week, so while I've wanted to go stock up on crap I haven't had much of a chance.

juansolo

Nothing's really changed here in northern England. No real evidence of panic buying yet. That said, I think it's only a matter of time with the sheer amount of 'news' happening regarding the situation.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

EBK

Quote from: alanp on March 12, 2020, 08:49:44 PM
I'm getting increasingly annoyed by a guy at work, who honestly does not seem to understand how the stock market works, and that your "money" in the stock market, is tied to the value of the shares you own. If the shares you own go down in value, you have less "money", and if they go up, so does your "money". I'm using quote marks because it is not actual, hard, spendable money until you sell those shares, at which point the money is tied to a set price at one point in time.

If I had spare money, I'd be buying shares in all the long term companies I can that have been dropping. Every single freakin' time an emergency happens, people sellsellsell, and what do you know, after things recover, the share prices go back up... weird, it's like stock prices fluctuate, who knew?
Because I am not retiring anytime soon, I am actually quite selfishly happy the markets are doing poorly.  I keep pumping the same money into my funds, but I'm getting more shares for my dollars.  Had to explain this to someone just yesterday.  Yes, it could be difficult for someone who is drawing money out of an account, but if you are still paying in, it is a good situation to be in.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

TheDude

I live in Ohio and work both in elementary education and college athletics. Everything in regards to those two is shut down, or will be by 4pm this afternoon (Mar-13). TP stock is low at the grocery stores but not wiped out. Panic is low but concern is high.

As of right now, the effect of this is hitting high school and college senior spring sport athletes the hardest. (I know, not necessarily the demographic that is of the most concern here, but one I directly deal with). For our seniors, its the end of their playing careers, and they had absolutely no say in it. Only the ones with enough money who can afford a 5th year will get to come back. Its devastating for them that something they put so much time and effort into just be taken away. For us on staff, its heartbreaking knowing we likely will never get to work with these young men in that capacity again. I'm at a loss. This better be the biggest casualty to come from this pandemic, because that will mean these measures actually worked.

Sent from my LM-X410PM using Tapatalk

The dude abides

matmosphere

Quote from: TheDude on March 13, 2020, 03:44:21 AM
I live in Ohio and work both in elementary education and college athletics. Everything in regards to those two is shut down, or will be by 4pm this afternoon (Mar-13). TP stock is low at the grocery stores but not wiped out. Panic is low but concern is high.

As of right now, the effect of this is hitting high school and college senior spring sport athletes the hardest. (I know, not necessarily the demographic that is of the most concern here, but one I directly deal with). For our seniors, its the end of their playing careers, and they had absolutely no say in it. Only the ones with enough money who can afford a 5th year will get to come back. Its devastating for them that something they put so much time and effort into just be taken away. For us on staff, its heartbreaking knowing we likely will never get to work with these young men in that capacity again. I'm at a loss. This better be the biggest casualty to come from this pandemic, because that will mean these measures actually worked.

Sent from my LM-X410PM using Tapatalk

Hope things calm down a little stateside for everyone. I worked in a high school until this year and I just can't imagine what it'd be like to deal with schools being closed for a month in the middle of the school year. Although I do recall this is the big stretch of no holidays where I was so I guess some silver lining, right?

Where do you live in Ohio, I grew up in the burbs of Dayton and am still pretty connected to there. Sad for the UD team to have such a good year and have it taken away.