News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Official Coronavirus Discussion

Started by peAk, February 27, 2020, 07:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

The realities of being quarantined are setting in. It's not that bad actually, could do with a little more to keep me busy. I spent 7 out of the last 10 years as a homemaker basically so I've got that, but with my wife home to it feels like there isn't much to do.

Worst thing is when we left I didn't have room or time to bring any of my guitars, or any projects to work on for that mater.

Thinking about doing an online class. I know that a lot of you guys are into the IT world. I've done some intro to CS classes, using python.

Before this all got rolling I had been planning on finding something that would allow me to work from home, probably part time, maybe full time, but would have a little flexibility because the kids are my main job.

Anybody on here have a suggestion about where to go with this? I have a background in math, it comes pretty easy to me. Brain works in methodical logical ways. I've heard front-end developer, web-design, and a few other suggestions. just can't decided where to go next.

somnif

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 24, 2020, 03:16:50 PM
The realities of being quarantined are setting in. It's not that bad actually, could do with a little more to keep me busy. I spent 7 out of the last 10 years as a homemaker basically so I've got that, but with my wife home to it feels like there isn't much to do.

Worst thing is when we left I didn't have room or time to bring any of my guitars, or any projects to work on for that mater.

Thinking about doing an online class. I know that a lot of you guys are into the IT world. I've done some intro to CS classes, using python.

Before this all got rolling I had been planning on finding something that would allow me to work from home, probably part time, maybe full time, but would have a little flexibility because the kids are my main job.

Anybody on here have a suggestion about where to go with this? I have a background in math, it comes pretty easy to me. Brain works in methodical logical ways. I've heard front-end developer, web-design, and a few other suggestions. just can't decided where to go next.

If you're interested in that route, HumbleBundle has several coding-oriented things up at the moment:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/software-development-oreilly-books
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/coding-starter-kit-no-starch-press-books
https://www.humblebundle.com/software/learn-to-code-bundle

alanp

Quote from: davent on March 24, 2020, 10:22:35 AM
In Ontario today a new list of essential businesses allowed to remain open, the usual player like grocers, hardware stores, pharmacies... liquor stores, beer stores, weed stores...

Liquor stores are considered non-essential here in NZ and have to close. Supermarkets will sell their current stocks of beer and wine, and then when they run out, they've run out. I'm told there were serious queues at the bottle shops for RTDs and as much beer as people could fit into their cars while they could get it. The liquor wholesalers are closing as well.

I'm not worried. I have a cupboard full of homebrew pale ale and stout.

I'll admit to getting a bottle of bourbon and of scotch before we hit Code 4, though. People are weird... they'll drink beer until they can't hold onto the ground, but whisky? Wow, you better be careful with that!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 24, 2020, 03:16:50 PMThinking about doing an online class. I know that a lot of you guys are into the IT world. I've done some intro to CS classes, using python.

I have a background in math, it comes pretty easy to me.

IMO if you have a background in math, just doing web design is a bit of a waste.

Check out Andrew Ng's Machine Learning class. Get the certificate if you need it for resume purposes. You'll actually understand the math (linear algebra and a little multivariable calc) in the class and the programming is actually useful in real-world applications. Stanford had or has a class for statistical learning that will solve many of the same problems from the stats side, but it's less and less useful these days.

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on March 25, 2020, 12:05:56 AM
Quote from: davent on March 24, 2020, 10:22:35 AM
In Ontario today a new list of essential businesses allowed to remain open, the usual player like grocers, hardware stores, pharmacies... liquor stores, beer stores, weed stores...

Liquor stores are considered non-essential here in NZ and have to close. Supermarkets will sell their current stocks of beer and wine, and then when they run out, they've run out. I'm told there were serious queues at the bottle shops for RTDs and as much beer as people could fit into their cars while they could get it. The liquor wholesalers are closing as well.

I'm not worried. I have a cupboard full of homebrew pale ale and stout.

I'll admit to getting a bottle of bourbon and of scotch before we hit Code 4, though. People are weird... they'll drink beer until they can't hold onto the ground, but whisky? Wow, you better be careful with that!

Strangely, liquor stores are considered essential business here.  Many will deliver as well.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

Number of spam/junk messages filtered to the spam folder of my email account is way way down.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

Day 2 of the NZ wide lockdown. Work gave everyone a sheet of paper each to show policemen who pull us up at stupid o'clock in the morning to ask why we aren't locked in our homes.

Went to the supermarket after work to do the week's shopping and, if you didn't know about the Chinavirus, you'd think that Wanganui was the shadiest town in the history of ever. Lots of people with bandannas over their mouth and nose, some with sunglasses, some not, some with hoodies zipped and pulled up to their nose, others with scarves over their faces...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

peAk

I'm not going to lie, this situation has me super stressed.

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

Day 5, dryer belt breaks....dammit. Parts on order. Looks like a pretty easy job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesmokingman

washer/dryer repair is suspiciously easy ... like I just haven't run across one of those "I need a repair man for this" sort of moments.

So this is the end of week two of wfh for me ... and the beginning of wfh for the rest of the office. boredom has definitely set in

I've noticed "senior hour" at Publix and WalMart is a joke. You're just giving those vultures an hour's head start on their hoarding. I watched more than one of them leave the store, cart full, load the car, then go in for round two ...
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

jimilee

Quote from: thesmokingman on March 27, 2020, 08:39:42 AM
washer/dryer repair is suspiciously easy ... like I just haven't run across one of those "I need a repair man for this" sort of moments.

So this is the end of week two of wfh for me ... and the beginning of wfh for the rest of the office. boredom has definitely set in

I've noticed "senior hour" at Publix and WalMart is a joke. You're just giving those vultures an hour's head start on their hoarding. I watched more than one of them leave the store, cart full, load the car, then go in for round two ...
I watched a video, looks easy. My biggest concern is / was that they are in a laundry closet and I didn't want to drag them out. I'm a small guy with a bad back from 30+ years of schlepping gear. Turns out I can't take it apart where it is.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

My now 30 year old Maytag washer needed the solenoid valve replaced a few years ago. The service man and counter man where i was buying the new part both were "don't ever get rid of that machine". Forty dollars for the part, and going by the stopwatch the machine was back together and ready to roll in under 7 minutes.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

Quote from: davent on March 27, 2020, 10:41:15 AM

My now 30 year old Maytag washer needed the solenoid valve replaced a few years ago. The service man and counter man where i was buying the new part both were "don't ever get rid of that machine". Forty dollars for the part, and going by the stopwatch the machine was back together and ready to roll in under 7 minutes.
dave
No kidding. I bought a set of 25 year old whirlpools last year because they are easy to work on. Got them from a man that refurbished them full time.

pickdropper

I should've taken a picture, but I once fixed our drier by replacing a broken switch with a momentary footswitch.  I got tired of the cheap manufacturer ones and the footswitch had a high enough amperage rating, so in it went.  It was still working perfectly when we moved.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper