News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Official Coronavirus Discussion

Started by peAk, February 27, 2020, 07:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Haven't been to my dentist in 2020 but my hygienists and dentists have been masked for years of appointments.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

matmosphere

Quote from: alanp on June 26, 2020, 12:48:40 PM
What amazed me was how hard the media was pushing the 'Stay home, avoid large gatherings' Covid-19 thing, and when George Floyd happened, they immediately changed to 'Look at all these brave protesters doing the Right Thing', and now they're right back to 'Avoid large gatherings.' Maybe I'm being far too cynical.

There is a lot to unpack with that Alan, and I think it might be more complicated than it looks from the outside. We have some issues that really need to be addressed in this country, and the shit usually doesn't hit the fan on a convenient timeline.

Everyone knew that those protest were not the greatest idea from a public health standpoint, but they needed to happen, and were (hopefully) incredibly effective.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to know anymore.

Meanwhile, back to the pandemic I guess.... (sigh, dammit)

CodeMonk

In Nevada, our Governor, Steve Sisolak, made wearing masks mandatory when in public on the 24th.
On the 25th, I went a picked up a new laser printer (My HP LaserJet M102 doesn't let you set toner density so its useless for making boards, the only reason I really need a laser for) at Staples. The few people I saw, maybe 3 or 4, wore masks. Went to Home Depot, and maybe half the people wore masks.
Earlier today, went to Walmart and Lowes, and maybe 50% of the people I saw were wearing masks.
Cases of infected have jumped up pretty rapidly since June 1st, although comparatively low compared to other states in the USA.
( https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/state-timeline/new-confirmed-cases/nevada/14 )
And most of the cases are in Las Vegas. They have roughly 5 times as many cases in Clark County alone than the rest of the stats combined.
I'm in Washoe county right on the border of Washoe and Lyon counties so here, we are doing pretty good so far.
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

jimilee

I feel like it's only a matter of time before it grows to all of the states again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

Quote from: jimilee on June 27, 2020, 07:37:03 AM
I feel like it's only a matter of time before it grows to all of the states again.
It's been in every state constantly for months now, hasn't it?  ??? I mean, I know some governors are better at pretending than others, but still. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

Quote from: EBK on June 27, 2020, 07:56:53 AM
It's been in every state constantly for months now, hasn't it?  ??? I mean, I know some governors are better at pretending than others, but still.
Yes, but what I was talking about the insane increases. It seems to have dropped from 100+ a day to about 40 or 50 here in Chattanooga. We're opening things up completely, so I wouldn't be surprised if hospital beds weren't full by the fall.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

CodeMonk

My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :

matmosphere

Quote from: jimilee on June 27, 2020, 07:59:15 AM
Yes, but what I was talking about the insane increases. It seems to have dropped from 100+ a day to about 40 or 50 here in Chattanooga. We're opening things up completely, so I wouldn't be surprised if hospital beds weren't full by the fall.

Honestly, if things don't change pretty soon I worry they will be full way before then

somnif

AZ is currently sitting at 89% ICU capacity (as of this morning), with 3591 new cases and 45 deaths in the last 24 hours. Wheeeeeee....

matmosphere

Quote from: somnif on June 27, 2020, 12:48:47 PM
AZ is currently sitting at 89% ICU capacity (as of this morning), with 3591 new cases and 45 deaths in the last 24 hours. Wheeeeeee....

Stay safe man, that is not cool.

I'm finding myself getting more paranoid again. I ordered some parts from tayda with expedited shipping, got them in four days then decided I didn't want to touch the package for a few days  :-\

somnif

Quote from: Matmosphere on June 27, 2020, 01:04:44 PM
Stay safe man, that is not cool.

Yeah, and to compound matters I had fairly major dental surgery this week, so my immune system is kinda working overtime as it is.  :-\

I'm spending a lot of time just hiding indoors, only shopping at the one store I know for a fact is actually enforcing mask wearing (whole foods, plus it's in walking distance, bonus)

CodeMonk

Quote from: jimilee on June 27, 2020, 07:59:15 AM

Washoe County, Nevada had 108 cases yesterday.
That's a new record here.
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :

Bio77

Quote from: Matmosphere on June 27, 2020, 01:04:44 PM
I'm finding myself getting more paranoid again. I ordered some parts from tayda with expedited shipping, got them in four days then decided I didn't want to touch the package for a few days  :-\

Most of the surface contamination worry has been downgraded.  This has really alleviated a lot of my anxiety over the whole pandemic.  I have some molecular biology in my background and consequently have been trained to remember what my hands have touched and what surfaces are likely to be contaminated.  It was a lot of extra mental CPU usage that I don't have now.

WSJ had a great article summing up the consensus view of the virus (link below).  Basically, you want to avoid sharing indoor air with people, that's how the virus is moving.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-exactly-do-you-catch-covid-19-there-is-a-growing-consensus-11592317650?mod=hp_lead_pos5

I have a pdf copy I can email if people are interested and can't get it.

jkokura

National News in Canada indicates that the Second Wave has arrived in South Korea. I'm not sure what differentiates 2nd from 1st, because most of the world is still in deescalation from the first wave, while the US seems to still be escalating.

Here in Canada our numbers are fairly terrifying. A little over 110,000 cases, and about 9000 deaths. That's somewhat worsened because outbreaks got started in some provinces in the Seniors residences. Here where I live, the population most affected was seniors over 60. Of 180 confirmed cases in the 60 plus group, we had 13 deaths.

It seems also that there's more news reports indicating that survivors are continuing to experience complications. I am very tired of trying to explain to people that they DON'T want to contract this virus. It seems there's a widespread idea out there that if enough of us get this virus it will just die off and go away. That idea ignores the reality that the more people who get the virus the more potential for mutation and then resurgence, as well as the reality that some people will just never be able to breath the same again after it.

I got permanent lung damage from a bad case of Pneumonia in my 20's. I'm healthy, and don't suffer awfully from it, but if Covid were to compound on top of that for me...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

EBK

Quote from: jkokura on June 28, 2020, 08:45:04 AM
It seems there's a widespread idea out there that if enough of us get this virus it will just die off and go away. That idea ignores the reality that the more people who get the virus the more potential for mutation and then resurgence, as well as the reality that some people will just never be able to breath the same again after it.
I remember reading about a total asshat walking around the U.S. Capitol Building simply saying "herd immunity" when asked why he refuses to wear a mask.  I think he may even have a medical degree (truly frightening).  I can't remember which state he represents.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber