News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

You ever get that one guy...

Started by flanagan0718, October 01, 2020, 07:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

So as most of you probably do, I offered to build some one a custom pedal. It was an Acapulco Gold and a Foxx Tone Machine in the same enclosure. It had a master bypass switch with two individual by pass switches for the fx. Now this guy is a real pain in the A$$. He was messaging me multiple times a day, asking for this and that, or if this or that was doable. Finally I finished the pedal tested it and sent it over to him.
Once he got the pedal he tried it out and said it didn't work...ugg! Ok, I sent him a return label and got the pedal back...works just fine. I then replaced a bunch of parts (shotgun attempt really) and tested the pedal for 5 days, on 3 different amps, with and without other pedals in the mix. Everything was good...or so I thought. Sent him the pedal, double boxed and TONS of packing material, and again. He said it didn't work. I am now sending him a single AG and fuzz in separate enclosures. Plus another return label for the original pedal I built him.
This guy has been a thorn in my side since the initial contact. I have since decided to no longer offer custom builds (unless it's a friend of mine or a mutual contact) because of this guy. I have had difficult customers, and everything that comes along with them. I work customer support for fishman...But "THIS GUY" has burnt me out! Anyways sorry and thanks for listening to my rant. Just needed to vent.

Anyone else run into this? What did you guys do?

-Mike-   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TGP39

Mike,
     You are too nice.  As soon as I get the pedal back and discovered it was functioning as designed, I would have given his money back minus shipping, told him I'm not Interested in doing business with him and sell the pedal on Reverb or something.   There is a small fraction of society that is not capable of fair and reasonable transactions.  As soon as you discover one, cut the cord immediately.  I don't want their money, I don't want their emails and I don't want to do any business with them. 
You are a seasoned pedal builder.  You know what you're doing.  You deserved better.  This is a hard lesson, but one I think will help you in many future scenarios.   And don't let the few weeds ruin your love of gardening. Just yank them out and move on. 
Steve. 
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

Betty Wont

All of THIS^^^^so much. I quit doing custom work because of "him" too. 20 emails a day (or night!) with changeups, wishlists, and gear run-downs. I ghosted a custom seeker recently that insisted I "whip him up" an analog echo with "10 or so BBD" for 2+ seconds of delay, on his budget of $100.

thesmokingman

I remember ending my pedal building for others on the most sour of notes for exactly this sort of reason. Sold them a cardinal v1 I built for myself that I was parting with to build the v2. Call the next day that the pedal didn't work. I want my money back, profanity laced tirade, etc.
In the end they threatened to ruin my reputation to anyone who'd listen if I didn't immediately refund them and I encouraged them to do so because I was quitting as of that phone call. I happened to be at the grocery store shopping for my family at the time this call came in, the whole thing just hit me wrong, and I don't think I even bothered to offer to troubleshoot or fix it. 
Eventually they got around to someone who knew me and also worked on pedals. They got the pedal from them and lo and behold it worked just fine ... if you plug in the power. They assumed a battery was included (I don't usually include battery connection on things I build for me) and didn't even crack it open to check because they just wanted to return it.
I always felt like a jerk afterwards for not making it right but in that moment that wasn't even on the menu of possibilities.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Govmnt_Lacky

Mike,

Did you ask the guy step-by-step how he was using the pedal? Honestly, I had a guy once notify me that one of my builds wasn't working (I test EVERYTHING thoroughly before shipment) and the guy was plugging his guitar cable into the OUT jack. Had another guy return a pedal 2 times only to find out that he was using a center POS adapter.

Bottom line... you'd be surprised at what people can do.

matmosphere

That's tough man, sorry to hear it. I've only ever built for friends and family for fear of just this type of thing. I don't know that I'd think it's worth it.

I'm guessing Government Lacky nailed the problem here. Dude probably couldn't figure out how to plug it in or something.

Hope he doesn't give you a hard time about the other two you send him.

EBK

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 01, 2020, 08:08:59 PM
I've only ever built for friends and family for fear of just this type of thing. I don't know that I'd think it's worth it.
Same.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

alanp

All of this is why I applaud Bean, Scruffie, JMK, and all the vendors on here for selling boards.

The idea of providing support gives me the shivers. Especially given that old quote...

"Engineering is a race between engineers to build a fool-proof product, and the Universe to build bigger fools. So far, the Universe is winning."
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

flanagan0718

Hey guys, I'm both glad and sad to hear it's not just me. I went through everything I could with this guy. He is the worst! He is really nice which is why I'm trying to work with him but I am loosing my mind here. I should have just cut it off the first time I got it back but hindsight is 20/20 right. I will get the other back and list it on reverb or something only because I want this thing out of my sight and house. I actually told him that he was the reason I decided to stop custom builds. Not my best moment but I was fed up at the time...and still am. Thank for the input guys. It helps to hear how others handle this kind of stuff.
I told this guy in the 10 years of me building and modding pedals I have never had one that was DOA or didn't work properly. It's so irritating.
-Mike-

mauman

Quote from: TGP39 on October 01, 2020, 07:26:18 PM
  ...And don't let the few weeds ruin your love of gardening. Just yank them out and move on. 
Steve.
+1 to Steve. Some people are just jerks.  Everything I do now is custom, and I occasionally run into a difficult customer.  Assuming the pedal is working as designed, I give them one free mod/adjustment, and if they're still not happy I either charge them for the changes or they get a refund less shipping and I politely end the relationship.  It's perfectly legitimate to fire customers.  But that's rare, and I really enjoy working with the 99.9% of great customers who are excited about custom work, it more than makes up for the occasional jerk.  Mike

cooder

Quote from: TGP39 on October 01, 2020, 07:26:18 PM
Mike,
     You are too nice.  As soon as I get the pedal back and discovered it was functioning as designed, I would have given his money back minus shipping, told him I'm not Interested in doing business with him and sell the pedal on Reverb or something.   There is a small fraction of society that is not capable of fair and reasonable transactions.  As soon as you discover one, cut the cord immediately.  I don't want their money, I don't want their emails and I don't want to do any business with them. 
You are a seasoned pedal builder.  You know what you're doing.  You deserved better.  This is a hard lesson, but one I think will help you in many future scenarios.   And don't let the few weeds ruin your love of gardening. Just yank them out and move on. 
Steve.
Yes this and of course it's all hindsight now. Agree with all the comments and don't let it ruin your fun and passion. On your terms.
You are more than considerate anyway.
BigNoise Amplification

Willybomb

QuoteI had a guy once notify me that one of my builds wasn't working (I test EVERYTHING thoroughly before shipment) and the guy was plugging his guitar cable into the OUT jack

This exact thing happened to me.  I sold my "Beastmode" and "Megatron TMK2601" builds to a fellow who messaged me to say that Beastmode would pass signal when bypassed but didn't work when engaged.  Turns out he'd plugged the amp into the input on the pedal.  I'd tested it before sending it, so I knew it wasn't the pedal.

I've done a few consignment builds and I hate doing them, mostly because I won't send anything out that has a flaw that I would accept for a personal build.  So, I decided to charge through the nose for those builds to compensate me for the stress involved.

What I enjoy doing far more, is doing a random gift build for a friend or a child of a friend who might have started playing and is showing some dedication or aptitude.  I'll find out what they're into from their parents and build accordingly.  "Tiger Drive", "Darth Punk", "Genuine Fake", and a few others have been designed and gifted in this way.

matmosphere

Quote from: Willybomb on October 02, 2020, 01:00:22 PM
QuoteI had a guy once notify me that one of my builds wasn't working (I test EVERYTHING thoroughly before shipment) and the guy was plugging his guitar cable into the OUT jack

This exact thing happened to me.  I sold my "Beastmode" and "Megatron TMK2601" builds to a fellow who messaged me to say that Beastmode would pass signal when bypassed but didn't work when engaged.  Turns out he'd plugged the amp into the input on the pedal.  I'd tested it before sending it, so I knew it wasn't the pedal.

I've done a few consignment builds and I hate doing them, mostly because I won't send anything out that has a flaw that I would accept for a personal build.  So, I decided to charge through the nose for those builds to compensate me for the stress involved.

What I enjoy doing far more, is doing a random gift build for a friend or a child of a friend who might have started playing and is showing some dedication or aptitude.  I'll find out what they're into from their parents and build accordingly.  "Tiger Drive", "Darth Punk", "Genuine Fake", and a few others have been designed and gifted in this way.

Yeah, this —^^^^^— I love giving people pedals as gifts. On a few occasions I've been with friends when I was testing a new pedal and they liked it so much that I just gave it to them.

My brother (a DC comics but) has a whole board of comic book character pedals that I've made him over the past couple of years.

thesameage

I have certainly been a pain in the ass, but after being on the other side of things learned to dial that back and be normal.

But yeah, I also stopped doing pedal repairs after one of "those guys." I fixed an old big box muff that just had a loose wire that had become desoldered. Those pedals suck and the wire eventually came off again a few months later. He wanted a refund, yadda yadda. And while it's not the biggest deal, there was something about dealing with him that just turned me off of building/repairing for customers. It just clicked. I like to do this kind of thing for fun and I'm not really making much off of it and I have weird people coming into my house... just no.

thesameage

Quote from: flanagan0718 on October 01, 2020, 08:19:15 PM
Hey guys, I'm both glad and sad to hear it's not just me. I went through everything I could with this guy. He is the worst! He is really nice which is why I'm trying to work with him but I am loosing my mind here. I should have just cut it off the first time I got it back but hindsight is 20/20 right. I will get the other back and list it on reverb or something only because I want this thing out of my sight and house. I actually told him that he was the reason I decided to stop custom builds. Not my best moment but I was fed up at the time...and still am. Thank for the input guys. It helps to hear how others handle this kind of stuff.
I told this guy in the 10 years of me building and modding pedals I have never had one that was DOA or didn't work properly. It's so irritating.
-Mike-

I agree with what others have said... you're being really nice about this, but just cut your losses on it. Refund him and move on. You've done what you could.