Main Menu

Whetstone kits

Started by Drew Hallenbeck, February 10, 2021, 07:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Drew Hallenbeck

He's got three more of these listed right now in case anyone is still interested.
Just search blackout effectors on eBay and you'll find em!
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

Bursarboy

Gordo:

Thank you so much for the gutshot & other pics!!!  Still waiting on some parts, but that is a massive help!

T

peAk

Just finished mine up. I tried to keep the look close to the original.

I really dig the pedal and feel you can do a lot with it. I agree with what was said on the Aion website about his version. He omitted the fix position because...while he said the idea sounds good in theory, it just doesnt really do much. I tend to agree. Maybe I just didnt find a sweet spot?

Other than that small observation, the pedal kicks ass.

I don't have much to add that gordo didnt already say. I will say that I had to drill out the DC jack some because it was just a little too small. Everything is pretty tight overall so I recommend dry fitting the switches and pots, place them in the enclosure, then solder them. If you solder everything outside the box and anything is a little off, you may have trouble fitting it in. Lastly, depending on what knobs you use, you will probably need to hack some height off the switch or your knob will look silly. Nothing new there.

DLW

To the folks that are having difficulty with the fixed position doing anything.... disconnect wire #4. Viola

madbean

Quote from: DLW on February 27, 2021, 04:50:36 PM
To the folks that are having difficulty with the fixed position doing anything.... disconnect wire #4. Viola

Yeah the whole fixed position is weird. Clearly this version shows it connected to ground. Yet, you can see examples of other Whetstones were it's simply left open (which is why I left it that way on my version).

Here's an example of what I am talking about.

gordo

Yupp the fixed position did nothing for me and I couldn't make it sweep. Sounded like an ehx setting but didn't amount to anything.   Nice job with the shrink wrap boots, wish I'd done that.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Bursarboy

Thanks for another nice gutshot, peAk.  Still waiting on parts from Mouser, but I'm going to leave that 4th wire from the selector switch off.

T

peAk

Quote from: DLW on February 27, 2021, 04:50:36 PM

You. Are. The. Man.

That totally made the "Fix" setting what I was hoping for. So many great tones to be had here.

Thanks tremendously for that bit of advice

jimilee

Nice, I would've gotten mine yesterday, but the post office couldn't be bothered with delivering it to my door. Now I gotta wait until Monday when they deliver to my apartment complex office. I hate those guys, I really do. They used to be great. Thank Luis DeJoy.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

peAk

Quote from: jimilee on February 28, 2021, 08:38:29 AM
Nice, I would've gotten mine yesterday, but the post office couldn't be bothered with delivering it to my door. Now I gotta wait until Monday when they deliver to my apartment complex office. I hate those guys, I really do. They used to be great. Thank Luis DeJoy.....

Ever since Covid and now this Texas winter freeze, USPS is at a new level of awful.

harryklippton

Quote from: jimilee on February 28, 2021, 08:38:29 AM

My mail here was bad long before DeJoy or covid, but it's definitely getting worse and my regular carrier is awful. There's a 50/50 chance he'll even come on any given day. He's also stopped bothering to put the flag down on myailbox when I put out outgoing mail.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

peAk

Quote from: jimilee on March 01, 2021, 02:16:17 PM
Quote from: gordo on February 23, 2021, 07:30:37 PM
They are.
Are the switches the sub mini switches?

Yes Jimi

The switches will sit lower than your pots so I recommend a dry fit into the enclosure before soldering. You can back up the bottom jam nut on the switches to raise the base some as well as not soldering them all the way down to the PCB.

If you are not careful, your PCB will lean and you may not get enough of your switches thread to poke out to get the nut on.

Hopefully I am making sense

jimilee

Quote from: peAk on March 01, 2021, 03:34:45 PM
Quote from: jimilee on March 01, 2021, 02:16:17 PM
Quote from: gordo on February 23, 2021, 07:30:37 PM
They are.
Are the switches the sub mini switches?

Yes Jimi

The switches will sit lower than your pots so I recommend a dry fit into the enclosure before soldering. You can back up the bottom jam nut on the switches to raise the base some as well as not soldering them all the way down to the PCB.

If you are not careful, your PCB will lean and you may not get enough of your switches thread to poke out to get the nut on.

Hopefully I am making sense
I thought they were, I was just trying to decide which switches to order. He included spdt switches, and I have some on on on just no on. Love my switches gots just what I need. His shipping is pretty fast too.