News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dumble ODS preamp with submini tubes

Started by jubal81, February 28, 2021, 07:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjimi84

I am blown away by this, really incredible.

Quote from: Willybomb on February 28, 2021, 04:49:21 PM
Put me down for a pcb if you ever decide to sell them!

This. All day long

Bret608

Oh man, that is flat-out nuts! Love it and it would be awesome to hear a sound clip or something.

Bio77

thomasha

Looks amazing inside and on the outside!

Would love to hear how it sounds.

Martan

Very cool. Were the tube legs long enough to run those leads to the board without jumpers?

jubal81

Thanks, guys!

I'm Really excited about this one. It's one of those projects where you get a bit lucky with stuff and everything just comes together.The clean 'channel' is very beefy and punchy with some nice natural compression. The overdrive is a bit tricky to dial with with all the controls, but it sounds amazing. It's like taking Marshall lead tone and adding just the right amount of Tweed raunchiness. Hit it with a mid boost and you're in distortion nirvana.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

PapaKev

mwelch

How does it sound? 

I have built a few sub-mini tube pedals and never got them to sound right.  They were VERY midrange and treble with not much Bass.  Also, not much breakup.

Mike

TGP39

It's so obvious how well thought out this entire build is.  Fantastic job Jason. 
Is the faceplate acrylic?  Did you use your Beamo to design it?
The skills necessary to pull this off is mind blowing. 
Just amazing. 

Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

diablochris6

Very cool. Great design and layout work there!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

matmosphere

Quote from: jubal81 on March 03, 2021, 11:23:11 AM
Thanks, guys!

I'm Really excited about this one. It's one of those projects where you get a bit lucky with stuff and everything just comes together.The clean 'channel' is very beefy and punchy with some nice natural compression. The overdrive is a bit tricky to dial with with all the controls, but it sounds amazing. It's like taking Marshall lead tone and adding just the right amount of Tweed raunchiness. Hit it with a mid boost and you're in distortion nirvana.

Okay, I had been resisting saying this, but if you decide to do a run of birds then sign me up. Hell, I'd probably consider spending money for a built one (and, with the exception of the Trio, the last time I bought a pedal was probably 2013).

jubal81

Quote from: TGP39 on March 09, 2021, 01:58:55 AM
It's so obvious how well thought out this entire build is.  Fantastic job Jason. 
Just amazing.
Thanks!The faceplate is reverse-etch acrylic material. I designed the graphics in Illustrator and used my Beamo to engrave and cut. That's a nice little machine.

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 09, 2021, 04:24:08 AM
Thanks, guys!

Okay, I had been resisting saying this, but if you decide to do a run of birds then sign me up. Hell, I'd probably consider spending money for a built one (and, with the exception of the Trio, the last time I bought a pedal was probably 2013).
I'm not going to make PCBs available because it's a really complicated build with a lot of SMD. If you'd like me to build you one, shoot me a PM.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

dan.schumaker

Quote from: jubal81 on March 09, 2021, 06:31:42 AM
Quote from: TGP39 on March 09, 2021, 01:58:55 AM
Just amazing.
Thanks!The faceplate is reverse-etch acrylic material. I designed the graphics in Illustrator and used my Beamo to engrave and cut. That's a nice little machine.

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 09, 2021, 04:24:08 AM
Thanks, guys!

I'm not going to make PCBs available because it's a really complicated build with a lot of SMD. If you'd like me to build you one, shoot me a PM.

I didn't know you had a Beamo as well.  How are you liking it?  It is a great little machine, I find that it is just about perfect for what we do!

jubal81

Only had it for about 10 days, but it's working great. So far I prefer it over the glowforge I'd been using at the makerspace.
The small working area is the only bummer.
- David Fair

dan.schumaker

Quote from: jubal81 on March 09, 2021, 08:25:51 AM
Only had it for about 10 days, but it's working great. So far I prefer it over the glowforge I'd been using at the makerspace.
The small working area is the only bummer.

I wish it had a slightly bigger working area as well, mainly if I want to make amp faceplates.  I had my first issue with mine this week, the auto-focus switch went out on mine, so I am waiting a replacement from Flux.  But other than that, I am at about 10 months of good service on mine!  If you ever run into issues, or need some tricks and tips, shoot me a message!