News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Prototyping & Testing Rig Kit released

Started by madbean, October 08, 2021, 03:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

This is what I've been wanting to build to go with my JMK Test Rig unit for complete circuits!  I'll be ordering one once they're back in stock.  Just in time for the design of V2 of the Kansas City Prairiemaster (complete with some sort of resonant filter).

harryklippton

I just put my kit together and it went smoothly. When it came time to affix the breadboards, I considered dual lock for a minute cuz that's what I had on hand, but I decided I didn't like how high it made the breadboards stick up and I wanted a firmer surface underneath. So I used an exacto to cut thin strips off the adhesive backing of the breadboards and stuck em down. If they ever need replaced, there's a lot less adhesive surface that way.

I'm gonna look for some mini grabbers to solder on to some jumpers with pins on the other side for hooking things up but I'm not sure how well that'll work out.

I also wanted to store it in the swanky black box the kit came in, but the lever on the 3pdt is just slightly too long to let the lid close nicely

madbean

Quote from: harryklippton on December 13, 2021, 07:37:28 PM
I also wanted to store it in the swanky black box the kit came in, but the lever on the 3pdt is just slightly too long to let the lid close nicely

That's a fine idea and something I had not considered when sourcing everything. I think there will be a V2 at some point. One thing I plan to add for a future version is a power on/off switch. I'm actually kicking myself a bit now for not including that as a feature in this version.

Jaga

Could you please include a headphone out for V2, this would be a killer feature, because the amount of gear that should be switched on and plugged in would be the minimum possible :)

harryklippton

Got my first chance to try out the prototyping rig to test a build and it was great. My mini grabber to jumper pin leads worked exactly how I had hoped.

Big Monk

Quote from: harryklippton on January 08, 2022, 06:35:46 PM
Got my first chance to try out the prototyping rig to test a build and it was great. My mini grabber to jumper pin leads worked exactly how I had hoped.

I've done this a few times with my Protoboard. Good way to "Rock before Box".
My name is Derek Scott. I can tell that we are gonna be friends.

"Beneath the bebop moon, I'm howling like a loon..."

Hirti

I also finished mine yesterday. I haven't used a breadboard in like 15 years. It was so much fun  ;D Built a LPB-1 into a Mythos Golden Fleece (Electra style circuit).

PedalJerk

Hey, Brian!

I just recently purchased the ProtoRig from you, but it appears that the audio probe has an issue. When I removed the threaded collar from the probe tip, there is no hole or any method that I can see of pushing the connector wire lead through from the plastic handle end. Am I missing something stupidly obvious? Everything else assembled and works perfectly. Thanks in advance for any reply.

harryklippton

Hey Brian, I've been screwing around with my protoboard a bunch lately and wanted to give you some user feedback and suggestions if you ever do a revision in the future.

First one is that I've been doing a lot of plugging and unplugging of my in and out cables to the 1/4" plugs and thought hmm wouldn't it be cool if the jacks and the switches mounted to like a 125b that could drop over the top of the components at the top just to make things a little sturdier.

I was also thinking having a road rage built in would be pretty handy, and then I ran into another problem. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, which is very possible. I was screwing around with PNP circuits and having a hard time getting them to work when I realized that the in and out jacks are probably grounded the wrong way around when I swap the power connections to my circuit, which I have on another breadboard that's not the one glued to the protoboard. Would it be possible to have basically a polarity switch to flip to positive ground that also switched the jack orientation? Does that make sense? I barely know what I'm talking about. I solved my PNP circuit issue buy skipping the protoboard and just connecting a battery and jacks to my breadboard