News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Laser engraver or CNC for powder coated enclosure?

Started by Kroars, November 22, 2021, 04:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: madbean on November 28, 2021, 12:37:44 AM
Quote from: Kroars on November 27, 2021, 06:10:28 PM
Madbeans- I'm starting to think you may be correct.  Sounds like I need to change my $500-$1000 budget to a more realistic $2000-$3000 budget.  Any particular fiber lasers in mind? I'd only be using it to etch/engrave aluminum enclosures either powder coat, paint or bare aluminum.

Thanks!

I'm not really able to give advice since I have no experience with one. I've been checking out some youTube on 30W Fiber lasers and its been informative. Omtech seems like a possible choice (for USA, at least).
https://omtechlaser.com/collections/fiber-laser-markers

I guess I need to learn a bit more. I'm curious if a 20W one would be enough for what I would need. I've even seen some videos on lasering single sided PCBs. That would actually be pretty awesome.

...of course, what I really want is a UV Printer but I don't have $30k :)

We have one of the cheaper fiber lasers at work (ours looks somewhat similar, but it was $7k, I think).  It does work, but the software kind of sucks a lot.  It's possible that things have improved in the last few years.  Basically, when you are shopping make sure you check out the software as well as the hardware.  As much as possible, at least.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pickdropper

Oh, and make sure everybody around it is wearing eye protection.  The lasers on those cheap fiber lasers are not behind protected glass like most CO2 lasers.  You can cause permanent damage without protection.  They usually include a pair or two of the glasses.
Function f(x)

dan.schumaker

If you are looking in the $2000-3000 range, I really like my Flux Beamo.  I've had it since they launched it and it has performed very well for me.  It cuts through powdercoated enclosures like butter.

https://flux3dp.com/beamo/

madbean

This "EM-Smart" from Cloudray is kind of appealing. 20W Raycus laser, but also a real benchtop form factor. And, a much lower price point than some others. It doesn't seem as easily adjustable for laser focusing though. The "split laser" builds have a little rotary handle on top to adjust laser height vertically and this is something different.

https://www.cloudraylaser.com/collections/em-smart/products/cloudray-20w-em-smart-portable-fiber-laser-marking-machine-with-safety-goggles

LFlab

Quote from: pickdropper on November 28, 2021, 04:35:50 AM
Oh, and make sure everybody around it is wearing eye protection.  The lasers on those cheap fiber lasers are not behind protected glass like most CO2 lasers.  You can cause permanent damage without protection.  They usually include a pair or two of the glasses.

Also, be aware that glasses are not going to help against a direct hit or a good reflection. Closed box, and a lid with a switch to kill the laser is the way to go.

pickdropper

Quote from: LFlab on November 30, 2021, 09:32:54 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on November 28, 2021, 04:35:50 AM

Also, be aware that glasses are not going to help against a direct hit or a good reflection. Closed box, and a lid with a switch to kill the laser is the way to go.

I agree that closed box is better.  But, with that requirement, those open frame fiber lasers are out of the running altogether.
Function f(x)

LFlab

If you can make a pedal, you can also make a wooden box :)

gordo

I'm assuming that if I know about it everyone does.  Lightburn is an amazing bit of software for all things laser and VERY reasonably priced.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

culturejam

Quote from: gordo on November 30, 2021, 11:55:03 PM
I'm assuming that if I know about it everyone does.  Lightburn is an amazing bit of software for all things laser and VERY reasonably priced.

I agree. But does it work with fiber lasers?
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gordo

Way over my head so I'd leave that to in-the-know peeps.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on December 01, 2021, 12:28:08 AM
Quote from: gordo on November 30, 2021, 11:55:03 PM

I agree. But does it work with fiber lasers?

I think it depends on the laser.  One of the reasons I like Epilog is that they use standard Windows printer drivers, so you can print from many different programs (I use Adobe Illustrator).  If all of the cheaper lasers adopted that approach, it'd be a massive improvement, I think.
Function f(x)