News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Polytrog, Chartlatan and SludgeHammer released

Started by madbean, March 09, 2022, 03:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Between beard pulling and procrastinating I wasn't too sure if it would ever happen. But it finally did!

Also, this will be the last release before an across the board price hike for mbp. Just a heads up. It's been like ten years since I've done a major price adjustment and the time has come (in a few weeks).

fig

I'm lookin' for this place called Lee Ho Fooks

madbean

Also want to mention that even though a much needed price adjustment is coming soon, along with that will come an increase in quality overall. A lot forthcoming projects are going 4-layer PCB which has the benefit of very tidy layouts and often lower noise. These are more expensive to manufacture, but I feel that it's a good jump to make. AFAIK, most other DIY shops don't offer this. Also, some special runs will be manufactured at ENIG spec, which includes a very thin layer of gold plated pads (like I did on the Laureate). So, I think (hope) most will be satisfied with the tradeoff.

Thewintersoldier

Brian, I would pay anything for your projects, simply the best. I know what you put into them and the quality is unparalleled in your final product. Worth the price. We have All seen my polyphase enclosure design but I did my worm design tonight. In all fairness, I had the bulk of it done before the release. I'm pumped. Bring on all the projects!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

You know, there aren't too many shops that have the projects you do, they're pretty much clones. Each have their place, don't get me wrong. You're like the wampler of the diy world. Everything has your little spin it. Unlike JHS, the schematics are available and everything is upfront and honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Honestly, I don't see a problem with pricing.  Costs for everything are up these days and you're still in line with everyone else doing this.  You need to be compensated accordingly.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Bio77

Agree with the above. You rule, Brian!

I was wondering, did you happen to try a GL5537-1 in the Charlatan?  The spread is 20-30K to 2M. 

gordo

Side note...Bio, I'm hoping to get to the new house in April to get my wife setup to WFH there so will touch base when I know the schedule and hopefully we can hook up for a beer!
Gordy Power

JTM100

Order placed.
Nice work!

What happened to the Soothsayer?
El Jefe at Tex Mex Effects

matmosphere

I think I'm going to have to make a bass driver, always been curious about that one.

And good on the price increase Brian, I think it's important for people to place appropriate value their work, especially these days when so many make livings selling on Etsy and similar platforms.

Quote from: jimilee on March 09, 2022, 06:14:40 PM
You know, there aren't too many shops that have the projects you do, they're pretty much clones. Each have their place, don't get me wrong. You're like the wampler of the diy world. Everything has your little spin it. Unlike JHS, the schematics are available and everything is upfront and honest.

I'm 100% with you on this. I don't like cover bands but I get the appeal.

madbean

Quote from: JTM100 on March 10, 2022, 11:02:11 AM

Honestly, I felt like it wasn't good enough. I'm confident I got everything right as far as the circuit. There were a few things I didn't care for, or thought might be done a little differently. It came down to just not liking the type of compression it offers. It behaves more like a slow, soft limiter. Even with the spec'd vatcrol it's sluggish to compress the signal. I may take another look at it later but I'm not going to put something out I wouldn't use myself.

JTM100

Quote from: madbean on March 10, 2022, 11:48:31 AM
Quote from: JTM100 on March 10, 2022, 11:02:11 AM

Honestly, I felt like it wasn't good enough. I'm confident I got everything right as far as the circuit. There were a few things I didn't care for, or thought might be done a little differently. It came down to just not liking the type of compression it offers. It behaves more like a slow, soft limiter. Even with the spec'd vatcrol it's sluggish to compress the signal. I may take another look at it later but I'm not going to put something out I wouldn't use myself.

I know how frustrating it can be after spending time and $ on a project that doesn't work out.
Thanks for having such high standards.

Have you tried an original?
Your description of the Soothsayer doesn't seem to match.

Also, my experience with the XVive vactrols is that they are not like the originals...
El Jefe at Tex Mex Effects

madbean

Quote from: JTM100 on March 10, 2022, 12:50:28 PM
Have you tried an original?
Your description of the Soothsayer doesn't seem to match.

Also, my experience with the XVive vactrols is that they are not like the originals...

Well, that's the real question: if the Xvive RI is to blame. I did confirm that the dark resistance was at least 50M and the VTL should be around 100M. But, it could be the response time is incorrect and that's the cause of the problem (it has to be really fast due to the 2200uF cap). If that is the issue, then there's no point in releasing it b/c I haven't been able to get my hands on a VTL5C6. But, I will see if I can get one and if I can find a source to buy a lot for the project then I could release it. I already have the boards and the 2200uF caps. Everything else about is okay and I included some mod ideas for the shortcomings I found (just the general output and clean to compression balance).

ryland

I have had a couple DEFX projects that absolutely wouldn't work with the Xvive RI parts.  Once I replaced them with other 'close enough' vactrols, everything worked great...so I would certainly be suspicious of them!

gordo

Thats a drag cuz Xvive has done some nice stuff.

I followed the build doc thread for the Worm and didn't realize it did quite so much stuff.  I'm quite stoked to build this beast anyway, but I just thought it was a cool trem.
Gordy Power