News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lectric FX SH3

Started by blackhatboojum, May 17, 2022, 10:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhatboojum

Thanks to @jjjimi84 awesome demo post and my recent chats with @thewintersoldier, I decided to give this classic phaser a go, even though I wasn't a fan of it in the past.  I gotta say that Lectric FX knocked it out of the park with this circuit design. I dunno how you pcb designers are doing it but, keep up the great work. This is the second EHX style build I've done that captures the classic sound but, doesn't add the typical EHX noise. That's always been my biggest beef with EHX. The effects sound killer... until you put them in front of a high distortion amp. The recent renditions of the electric mistress and small stone from EHX have not worked for me at all.  They introduce so much hiss and white noise in front of my amp that I won't use them.  That has not been the case with the last 2 diy circuits I've built though. 

I'm actually really relieved that I like this phaser so much because this build totally kicked my ass. I ordered the wrong parts, didn't order parts I needed, and I could not get my water slide to apply right. It took me 8 tries to get something that looked halfway decent aesthetically. On top of that, I put the wrong value resistors in 3 places when I populated the board. Fortunately I caught it early and corrected the issue before I powered it up. My last 2 builds went so great that I guess it was time for me to make a bunch of mistakes.

Despite all of my incompetence, it come out pretty well and sounds even better. I have to give @Harry Klippton a special thanks and shout-out on this one as well. Will, took it upon himself to design me a logo for my builds and I'm going to proudly display it from here on out.

693BD7AF-DBCD-4F64-9A4A-30F3C78FA25F

4FEF7A1B-EA53-4BD1-9185-A1B7D83C3E56

The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

cooder

Nailed it, very nice and tidy!
And yes great logo, also great to get it going after the hurdles.
BigNoise Amplification

Thewintersoldier

Clinton with another banger! Glad you dig after all, one of the best phasers by some of the best guys in diy. It's also really cool that we all prop eachother up and make builds like this a possibility. And trust me, we all fumble here and there, get confident and Monk a build we have no reason to. Decal looks killer, build is solid. I'm sending some goodies your way this weekend to help with some fun builds we talked about and one we haven't lol.
Who the hell is Bucky?

harryklippton

Nice work Clinton. Your graphic nails the ehx look too!

blackhatboojum

Quote from: cooder on May 17, 2022, 10:21:44 PM
Nailed it, very nice and tidy!
And yes great logo, also great to get it going after the hurdles.

Thanks!  Definitely one of my more rewarding builds considering the issues I created for myself.

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on May 18, 2022, 04:01:01 AM
Clinton with another banger! Glad you dig after all, one of the best phasers by some of the best guys in diy. It's also really cool that we all prop eachother up and make builds like this a possibility. And trust me, we all fumble here and there, get confident and Monk a build we have no reason to. Decal looks killer, build is solid. I'm sending some goodies your way this weekend to help with some fun builds we talked about and one we haven't lol.

Many thanks Chris!  I'm definitely all in with the stuff from Lectric and Madbean.  These guys are nailing it all around.  Quality pcbs, excellent sounding effects, and great build documentation.  Now, if I could only read the documentation properly lol.  Huge thanks for sending some stuff my way!  I'm looking forward to it.

Quote from: harryklippton on May 18, 2022, 05:53:39 AM
Nice work Clinton. Your graphic nails the ehx look too!

Huge thanks!  The end result wasn't my initial plan but, it worked way better than my first design.  Kind of a happy accident in the end. 
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

Bio77

Clean build!  Looks killer  8)