Author Topic: Hypercube Fuzz  (Read 1067 times)

Thewintersoldier

• Electron Doctor
  • Chris
    • View Profile
Hypercube Fuzz
« on: March 21, 2023, 10:12:49 AM »

Hey kids do you like octave? How about octave fuzz? I love the superfuzz, it's a great circuit, so you already knew that boss was gonna enter the fuzz market hard in the 90s. The FZ-2 was a reimagined version of the superfuzz that became a legend thanks to electric wizard. Here is my build of this sought after now expensive box.

The fz-2 is an over engineered version of the vintage superfuzz. At it's core is the vintage circuit but instead of a simple switch or knob to go between a scooped or flat mids tone, they made three modes and gave you a high and low tone knobs for ultimate sound control. The modes are then broken into mid forward, scooped and a clean boost mode.

The Aion hypercube is a stacked board design with an on/on/on switch to allow all three modes in a 125b enclosure. The layout was simple and didn't require low profile caps. For the jfets I used smd j201 instead of the originals. All in all a straight forward build with the only specialty part being the headers and pins.

For the enclosure I went with a matte black tayda enclosure and UV print. For the hypercube I used the tesseract which came out really well. Thanks to SYLV9ST9R for brainstorming the hypercube text at the bottom. If you want a little more of a challenge and want to get that crushing octave fuzz sound then give this one a try.

Who the hell is Bucky?

jessenator

• Electron Doctor
  • (un)Professional Hobby Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Hypercube Fuzz
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 11:31:41 AM »

This build makes this cube go curvaceous. Slick work, Chris.

jimilee

• Global Moderator
  • Electron Doctor
  • Jimi Lee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 11:57:05 AM »
Oh man, you are killing it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

• Electron Doctor
  • Chris
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 08:32:47 AM »

This build makes this cube go curvaceous. Slick work, Chris.
Oh man, you are killing it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Guys, it was a fun build and sounds killer
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 10:24:49 AM »
That looks killer!  What do you think about the the extra engineering on this vs the classic Super Fuzz?

zombie_rock123

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 11:18:23 AM »
The blue knobs & artwork look awesome!

Is this the circuit that has the 1.5 mode mod on the Behringer clone that people talk about?
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Thewintersoldier

• Electron Doctor
  • Chris
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 12:36:54 PM »
That looks killer!  What do you think about the the extra engineering on this vs the classic Super Fuzz?
I think this is better than the original. The input buffer and added tone shaping make for a better sounding pedal. It's quite than the last superfuzz I built and that one got sold.

The blue knobs & artwork look awesome!

Is this the circuit that has the 1.5 mode mod on the Behringer clone that people talk about?
It is the same one. I don't know that that secret mode sounds all that great though, not trying to break the switch on this to try it out lol.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 02:38:20 PM »
I had one of these back around '94 and liked it. I had no idea at the time it was a Super Fuzz offspring. I could actually use it with chords and such more than any SF derivative I've built as long as the gain wasn't too high. Love the build!

Thewintersoldier

• Electron Doctor
  • Chris
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 07:07:55 PM »
I had one of these back around '94 and liked it. I had no idea at the time it was a Super Fuzz offspring. I could actually use it with chords and such more than any SF derivative I've built as long as the gain wasn't too high. Love the build!
Thanks dude, when I first plugged it in with a single coil tele I was shocked at the sounds I could get, and how quiet it was. Humbuckers were a totally different beast!
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 10:23:26 AM »
Yeah, I can imagine! Made my Mustang sound huge, even more so when stacked with a Rat. I sold the thing when I was trying to lighten the load for cross-county move.  :(