News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

idea for parts containers

Started by 9Lives, April 01, 2012, 01:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

what do yall use to keep your components and different parts in? I'm using some type of box I stole out of my wifes craft stuff. It's a cheap jewl box that one wrong move I'll have components everywhere. I wanted to use my tool box but didn't know if the metal would damage the ic, and trannys. Any ideas or anyone know of a better solution? These type of things are harder to come across than I imagined.

irmcdermott

this is what i use...

**please pardon the mess, i'm currently going through a re-organization of my work bench.

mgwhit

Those are fantastic!  Where can you find those?

irmcdermott

Not sure where you are located, but most hardware stores carry something like them.

Those particular ones I actually picked up at a Kmart because they were on sale. Looks like they may be on sale again...

This is the 60 drawer ones on my bench.
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000045098511P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

And the rest of what you can get from them...
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/s_10151_10104_Tools_Garage%20Organization%20&%20Shelving_Parts%20Organizing?sbf=Brand&sbv=Stack_On

9Lives

ya dude those are nice. That's what I'm looking for. As for the mess.. You should se mine. I have those ones that sit horizonal on the desk and there just all kinds of s%"# flowing over. When I need space I just push.. Were renovating our house and I just want a permanent work space.. Doesn't look like I'm quiting this hobby anytime soon.

mgwhit

Actually, I never could find anything like that at any of the hardware stores I tried.  Maybe I just wasn't communicating very well.  Those are perfect -- and perfectly priced, too.  I'm going to K-Mart tomorrow!  My wife is going to be so thrilled.

jkokura

Here in Canada those things are found at Canadian Tire.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

sgmezei

Quote from: jkokura on April 01, 2012, 06:09:04 PM
Here in Canada those things are found at Canadian Tire.

Jacob

That's where I got both of mine.  ;D

irmcdermott

Quote from: mgwhit on April 01, 2012, 05:44:54 PM
Actually, I never could find anything like that at any of the hardware stores I tried.

I've seen them in Lowes and Home Depot in the aisles with all of the screws, nuts, bolts, etc.

TNblueshawk

I've got 5 of these and growing...from Home Depot

Put my IC's in this thing...from Home Depot

John

mgwhit

I found two of the 60 drawer models at K-Mart yesterday.  Gonna spend this evening cleaning up my work area.  Thanks!

jkokura

I also use the smaller parts pins for ICs and trannies and such. I should take a good few pictures of my current setup...

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

pryde

Harbor Freight has a fair selection of plastic part bins if you have one in your area.

jkokura

Grabbed a Pic.

2x60 drawer units keep my resistors and caps. Up above I have a couple other smaller drawer units for knobs and other stuff. On the left in one cubby you can see there are 6 different parts containers, 1 each for ICs, transistors, Diodes, sockets, regulators and such. I think I got them in the fishing aisle. There are also 3 large and deep ones in a cabinet below that holds all my Pots, large switches and Jacks. Above that door is a drawer with all my hand tools I use regularly. Finally, you can't see it well, but there's wire underneath that cubby in spools, and a book shelf to the right that holds boxes of spare tools, enclosures, and all sorts of stuff, as well as a hanging shoe cubby thing from Ikea that hangs from closet rod and holds projects in progress and finished pedals and paper work and stuff.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

bigmufffuzzwizz

Thanks for the links, I ended up on amazon finding some really good deals. Some of you got stacks and stacks!! My workshop isn't even big enough to allow that many 60 drawers... :-\
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals