News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rainbow Machine

Started by monkeyssj1, May 10, 2012, 11:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyssj1

I'm assuming this is out of the question... but if it's not... rainbows  :o  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRtm8GaarLA

raulduke

I'm pretty certain its DSP based mate so its a no-go I'm afraid.

Awesome pedal though.

midwayfair

Quote from: raulduke on May 11, 2012, 02:04:46 AM
I'm pretty certain its DSP based mate so its a no-go I'm afraid.

Awesome pedal though.

Even if it wasn't, unicorn ejaculate is unobtaniom. I heard EHX bought it all up in the 5000s BC.

TheCobbenator

This is the most ridiculous thing I've maybe ever heard in a production pedal. Finally a perfect mate for my fuzz factory. Together they'd make the most perfectly matched useless duo of all time! Like two Aqua Mans.

What I'm trying to say is that I want one way too much!

jaidee

The JetCity video demo on YouTube includes a lingering gut shot which allows just about all components to be clearly identified - the pot values can even be seen clearly marked on the PCB.

The heart (or brain) of the Machine is the FV-1 chip produced by Spin Semiconductors.  Looking at the Spin website, I note that the FV-1 is "a complete reverb solution in a single IC" (!)

There are 8 programs built into internal ROM and the facility to have an additional 8 user-programs stored in an external EPROM.

As far as I can see (but I'll stamd corrected by anyone with keener eyes or more knowledge than me) there does not apear to be an EPROM in the Rainbow Machine - the other chips look to be two 074s and a 4049.

The FV-1 looks like an interesting chip, ripe for DIY development - don't know what the price is, though.

monkeyssj1

it would be a really cool project to emulate or try to replicate

culturejam

Quote from: jaidee on May 11, 2012, 04:07:45 PM
The JetCity video demo on YouTube includes a lingering gut shot which allows just about all components to be clearly identified - the pot values can even be seen clearly marked on the PCB.

The heart (or brain) of the Machine is the FV-1 chip produced by Spin Semiconductors.  Looking at the Spin website, I note that the FV-1 is "a complete reverb solution in a single IC" (!)

THANK YOU!

I suspected this was the case since the pitch shifting is the same exact range as the FV-1 spec sheet.

There may very well be a madbean FV-1 project of some sort on the horizon.  ;)

QuoteAs far as I can see (but I'll stamd corrected by anyone with keener eyes or more knowledge than me) there does not apear to be an EPROM in the Rainbow Machine - the other chips look to be two 074s and a 4049.

I don't see one either. But we can only see the top of the board. There well may be an SMD EEPROM on the bottom. It is also possible to have Spin put your programs on the internal ROM, but the minimum order for that is a couple thousand units. Not sure if EQD is *that* big yet or not. It's certainly possible, I suppose.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

culturejam

I also don't see a crystal oscillator in that image, but I know it has to be there somewhere. ;)

juansolo

I have one... Possibly the most pointless thing in the world ever. But made of purest awesome.

There are actually some useable tones in there if you are much more subtle with it, this demo shows it's range better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNerqcvR3Rs

But what's the fun in that?
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

monkeyssj1

alanp

The FV-1 chip sounds like an interesting little thing. Has anyone tried anything with it on a DIY level? I imagine that it'd be usable out of the box without having to program it, with how the PDF talks about how easy it is to integrate into an analog circuit.

http://www.spinsemi.com/Products/datasheets/spn1001/FV-1.pdf
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

DutchMF

Banzai sells the FV-1 for E13,45 , which is about $17,50? Probably available from other, cheaper sources as well, so let the ridiculoussness begin!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

culturejam

Hey Juan, would you post this photos over at FSB:
http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17733

Just upload them directly, please.  ;D

jkokura

Other than the FV-1 I see a 074 and a 4049. What's the last chip?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

This would be the most coolest thing to fool around with but the most useless for my playing situation.  Bring it on!!!
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer