News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need Bender Help - From Defenders Of The Fuzz

Started by frankie5fingers, June 28, 2012, 06:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie5fingers

Hi All.  I have a Pastyface on the way, but in looking at the build diagram, I see 4 variations and of course, I can use some of old NPNs (AC217?) and build it as a negative ground.  I really don't know which way to go.  In over 40 years I can't say I'm familiar enough to make the call.  I won't waste a post asking for the characteristics of each, but maybe this info will help:
I haven't been happy with any of the fuzz builds I've done - all NPN.  Fuzz Faces with a variety of trannies, from the AC217s to BC108/9 and all in between.  I would up with BC108s and still wound up giving it to my son.  No matter which trannies I tried, it was simply too muddy, soft and indistinct.  Then I tried a Bazzfuss and another variation - the Whisker Biscuit, thinking the more trebley circuit would provide a little morechunk.  Those sit in a box.  What I want is Jimmy, not Jimi.  I like the Pagey grind, the bigger, wider, meaty tone that I'm told is a Tonebender.  I understand fuzz is fuzzy, but I heard every note Jimmy played, and it wasn't too noisy or out of control.  I'm not trying to nail a Jimmy Page tone per se, but that's one good example.  Finally, do I go NPN or PNP?
So... too long winded, but I hope the info helps.  Which version am I describing?
Thanks for sticking with the novel and (hopefully) for the response.
Frank

whitebread47

I don't know about the other versions, but I built mine to Soulbender specs and it does 'Jimmy' quite well.  The tone knobs helps for better presence and I adjust the fuzz to taste.  Of course, to get that sound that it seems you're seeking, I have to get the amp cooking and just hit the front end of it with the Bender.  It won't have as much punch and at lower volumes, as the fuzz has to be turned up for that kind of gain, which unfortunately sacrifices clarity the further you go. I believe that sound is the amp/fuzz interaction.

Mine is PNP, using 2n404a's (can't recall the gains on each). 

FWIW, I am picky about my fuzz.  The only three I've ever really found personally useful to me are the Mudbunny (Green Russian spec) for the balls out fuzz tones, the Pastyface (Soulbender spec) for the Page-like voicing, and Phoenix Custom Electronic's Lady Stardust (essentially a Tonebender with external impedance, range and bias controls).

Hope this helps.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

Sigesmundninja

This doesn't answer your question really, but maybe you could breadboard the cosmopolitan? It gives you lots and lots of different fuzz tones that satisfy me when whenever my fuzz-faces, bender (and muff-fuzzes for that matter) don't do the trick.

jeffaroo

im on the same quest for Jimmy Page sound
I was told to use OC75 or OC76
Q1 60's range  Q2 70's range  Q3 100's range
its impassible to get perfect gain besauce temp changes it
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

night-B

Gain matters but don't have to be precise, you won't hear any difference between 100 and 110 of hFE for exemple. I usually sort my GEs in 50-100 100-150 and 150-200 range... Plus as you told, as you heat the trannies with your fingers, the value changes!

Julien

frankie5fingers

Well...since the original post, I built the Soulbender spec.  I ordered some OC76s from GB, had them matched at 70,70 and 90 hFE.  I also added an outboard pre-gain pot (per Jake Fuzz' suggestion) and mounted the bias knob outside as well.  It nails all I wanted and much more.  The pre-gain pot is a great addition; dialed down it's a woolly high gain OD and can run the range to thick fuzz.  As you can tell, I really like it - I'd never found a fuzz that could hold a spot on any board till this one.  A few months old and I still can't find fault with it, well worth the research and the wait for the mojo parts.