Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

It's not a pedal but it is a Tele

Started by TNblueshawk, August 20, 2012, 12:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonaldB

brokenwings

alanp

That is beautiful. Have you posted it in the Home Depot section on tdpri.com? They'd love it.

The wenge used in the neck looks quite ridged, is that cosmetic, like figured maple?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

TNblueshawk

Quote from: slimtriggers on August 20, 2012, 04:28:46 PM
Really nice!  Beautiful job on that finish.  I have a wenge neck on my Warmoth Strat and I love the feel of it. 

Oooo, tell me more! Anything you don't like about the neck? I assume you just wipe it off and no care is needed to the neck?
John

TNblueshawk

Quote from: midwayfair on August 20, 2012, 05:54:32 PM
Wow!  :o

Love P90s. What manufacturer did you use for the pickups?

Jon, those were custom wound by a guy who hangs on BYOC, Scootercaster. He is in Tampa, FL. His shop is Granville Guitars. Also an amp guru.

Thanks again for the comps guys!
John

TNblueshawk

Quote from: alanp on August 21, 2012, 03:01:01 AM
That is beautiful. Have you posted it in the Home Depot section on tdpri.com? They'd love it.

The wenge used in the neck looks quite ridged, is that cosmetic, like figured maple?

Actually is is slightly ribbed when you press down and feel it on the headstock. But it is sanded down smooth on the neck. That was one reason I sidn't put a decal on it as I wasn't sure I could get it to take. If it was a cheap neck I would have gone for it but that neck wasn't cheap so blamk it is.
John

gordo

It's a shame you couldn't get the finish any smoother  :D

Wow, that's just spectacular.  I'd be scared to touch it!!!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Bret608

You already told us who made the pickups, which is cool because like Jon I was about to ask.

Tell us more about how those P-90s sound in there! I've been thinking about this combination quite a bit.

slimtriggers

Quote from: TNblueshawk on August 21, 2012, 03:42:43 AM
Really nice!  Beautiful job on that finish.  I have a wenge neck on my Warmoth Strat and I love the feel of it. 

Oooo, tell me more! Anything you don't like about the neck? I assume you just wipe it off and no care is needed to the neck?

Nothing I don't like about it.  When I saw it for the first time in person I was worried the open grain would be weird.  It turns out I really liked the feel of the natural wood grain.  I haven't done anything to it whatsoever, no finish, just raw wood.  The back of the neck is a little darker and smoother from playing over the years, but no cracks or splits.  It has held up beautifully!

mshuptar

Absolutely awesome! And those gold P90s are beyond rad. Really cool!

TNblueshawk

Quote from: Bret608 on August 23, 2012, 10:55:07 AM
You already told us who made the pickups, which is cool because like Jon I was about to ask.

Tell us more about how those P-90s sound in there! I've been thinking about this combination quite a bit.

Well, after playing them a bit I am thrilled with them. Now, if you want jangly then forget it! These things are beefy, but that is the sound I prefer most of the time so I'm stoked. I don't know if he wound them for that type of sound or how much is the neck/guitar and the rest of it but they are thick. He put 11,003 turns on each one (I figure it was those last 3 turns that did it  :P) and just reversed the polarity on one. They are as quiet as a church mouse whether it is both, the neck or the bridge.

If I do want a little more brightness I switch to the bridge which seems to be a unique combo of thick and bright if you will.

I've never played a Tele with "normal" single coils so I really can't compare but these sure do sound good. But again, like anything, it's about what you like and what you are looking for.

Only down side is now my Blues 90's in my Gibson Blueshawk sound weak and now I want to replace those!
John

TNblueshawk

Quote from: slimtriggers on August 23, 2012, 11:21:55 AM
Quote from: TNblueshawk on August 21, 2012, 03:42:43 AM

Nothing I don't like about it.  When I saw it for the first time in person I was worried the open grain would be weird.  It turns out I really liked the feel of the natural wood grain.  I haven't done anything to it whatsoever, no finish, just raw wood.  The back of the neck is a little darker and smoother from playing over the years, but no cracks or splits.  It has held up beautifully!

Thanks for the report Ted. I'm surprised how smooth the neck is already. I love the lack of a finish on there. Every guitar I have played as had some kind of lacquer on the neck which as you know can get sticky at times when you sweat etc... I may stick with the unfinished necks from here on out.
John