Main Menu

The Totally Epic Klon Thread of Awesome About Swearing

Started by madbean, October 16, 2012, 04:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saxoftenest

Quote from: Loztboy on October 17, 2012, 12:27:36 PM
Did you know the new KLON is SMD based?
Reduction = intensification of unicorn tear influence on tonez!  ;D

Seriously though, has there been any research done comparing through-hole and SMD components in stomp boxes? Considering Bill's comparison demo, I'm hard pressed to make the argument that there's an aural difference. The three Bill demoed sounded more alike than some of my side-by-side comparisons of Klones where I individually measured every component to ensure they were all within a 1% tolerance.

pickdropper

I haven't watched the video yet.  Is the whole thing SMT?  If so, I'd be very curious what diodes he's using.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Quote from: saxoftenest on October 17, 2012, 04:03:17 PMThe three Bill demoed sounded more alike than some of my side-by-side comparisons of Klones where I individually measured every component to ensure they were all within a 1% tolerance.

Sax, was you Youtube compressor in the effects chain and turned on?

gtr2

The diodes are not smd.  Not that I care.  I'm klon'd out...

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

eldanko

Quote from: saxoftenest on October 17, 2012, 04:03:17 PM
Quote from: Loztboy on October 17, 2012, 12:27:36 PM
Did you know the new KLON is SMD based?
Reduction = intensification of unicorn tear influence on tonez!  ;D

Seriously though, has there been any research done comparing through-hole and SMD components in stomp boxes? Considering Bill's comparison demo, I'm hard pressed to make the argument that there's an aural difference. The three Bill demoed sounded more alike than some of my side-by-side comparisons of Klones where I individually measured every component to ensure they were all within a 1% tolerance.

I've heard at least a couple commercial builders assert that component leads = signal loss, thus less overall material the better.

That being said, I too find it nearly impossible to believe that this makes ANY difference at all audibly, and certainly not in a band setting...

Quote from: gtr2 on October 17, 2012, 04:14:09 PM
I'm klon'd out...

Josh

This.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

raulduke

I see no (logical) reason why SMT components would sound any different to Through Hole components.

Though I doubt this will stop the TGP'ers etc. from thinking so.

Quote from: gtr2 on October 17, 2012, 04:14:09 PM
Not that I care.  I'm klon'd out...

Josh

+1 to this too.

G.G.

yeah, I can barely hear the difference between diode varieties so I would expect there would be no way I would hear a sonic difference based on the length of leads and solder traces. And personally I would be more interested if it actually did sound different in some way rather than something new that sounded nearly identical to a previous version.

plesur

The writing on the PCB next to the diodes made me smile though.  ;)

Comfort Player

Quote from: plesur on October 17, 2012, 05:52:35 PM

Hard to make out, does it say "These are Essential " ?
Silence..... I Keeeeeel youuuuuu....

jkokura

What does it say?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

eldanko

Quote from: Comfort Player on October 17, 2012, 06:10:24 PM

Hard to make out, does it say "These are Essential " ?

That's what I see ;-)
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

saxoftenest

Quote from: midwayfair on October 17, 2012, 04:12:04 PM
Sax, was you Youtube compressor in the effects chain and turned on?
:D Good point!

gordo

Kinda in the same camp as guitar cable marketing.  I'm not about to say that direction or price DOESN'T make a difference (either because I'm a wus and can't make a stand, or I'm accidentally wrong).  It would be interesting to do an A/B comparison with exactly the same pedal built using SMT and thru-hole.  I'll ticked if SMT sounds better because I have a tough time with those diddly little parts. :-\
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

juansolo

It's comedy that he made a rig and swapped every single component one at a time with the SMD counterpart to make sure they sounded the same.

Seriously!?

Other than tolerances in components, a resistor is a resistor. It's mounting method won't make a blind bit of difference. The TL072 in a DIL and in the SMD is the same bit of silicon, just in a different package. Of course it sounds the f**king same. I don't know whether it's for the TGP crowds who lap this shit up. But it does make him sound like an idiot.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

crashguitar

In before SMD = mojo!

Chad