News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Diptonizer / Honeydripper

Started by dbharris, October 25, 2012, 07:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbharris

Been wanting to build one of these for like 2 years.  Big thanks to Madbean for the awesome Honeydripper project and build docs.  Fired up first time, like all of bean's boards.  I wanted to do a little nod to the original, so bright yellow finish with hammered black on the sides, and yellow LED of course.

This was my first attempt at waterslides it came out pretty good all things considering.  But definitely more shrinkage than I anticipated LOL.  I must thank PPG and DuctTapeRiot, if not for their generous contributions to the BYOC forum I would not have been able to make a decent looking decal.

It sounds awesome!!!  My one issue is that the sweep control is really only effective in the last 80% of the pot rotation, but I am loving this pedal.

Mods: R5=220K, C2=1n, R21=10K, D1/D2=Bat41 asymmetrical, D3/D4=NOS 1n60.

(maybe I am crazy or maybe there is a slight error on the schematic, when I was taking voltages with only the charge pump IC in, I was not getting 18v at pins 7 of both CA3080s, but I was getting it at pin 6???)

Haberdasher

really nice!

I had to angle my stomp too when I built mine.  very tight squeeze.

my sweep range is similar to what you describe, i have to have it pretty far up to get results most of the time.

can you elaborate a little about the changes you made to r5 r21 and c2?  what is the advantage?

thanks
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

nzCdog

juansolo

Yep that's just how the sweep works. It's the same on my big clone.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

dbharris

@Haberdasher the mods that I made were all suggested in the build docs as parts to play around with.
R5 is really just changing the output, 180K seemed like it dropped volume a little bit.  330K boosted it a lot, and 220K boosted it a little above unity.  I really think closer to 200K would be right around unity, but I was tired of swapping parts around by that point.

R21 is what Brian says effects the intensity of the sweep (or something similar).  In the build docs the suggested range was 1K-10K and he preferred 2K.  I agree that the intensity is "sharper" with lower values, but I felt with 10K I could get a more even response across the usable range of the sweep pot.  I guess this resistor is more of a change in feeling when you play than tone if that makes any sense.

C2 was also suggested to play around with, it is in the fuzz/od part of the circuit.  I would encourage everyone to socket this cap, it really lets you fine tune the pedal for your specific guitar and amp.  I play an epi les paul with a seymour duncan jazz in the neck and screamin deamon in the bridge, into a Mesa Lone Star Special (basically a hotrodded balckface fender style amp).  Anything in the pf range was just too bright for my taste, even 3n3 sounded good to me, but I felt like 1n was a happy middle ground.

Thanks for the comments about the sweep range guys, as long as it is not an error in my build I am happy.  I couldn't care less if it has to be set fairly high as it won't really be something I adjust often.

As a general not, if you put a Ross style compressor in front of this pedal I found it makes for some good results.  A little bit more consistent filtering/sweeping and it changes the tone quite a bit (brightens/sharpens).  Might be fun to try if you have one laying around.  I dunno if similar things would happen with other kinds of compressors.