News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

POST YOUR PEDALBOARD / GEAR!

Started by pandadandan, December 13, 2010, 05:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pk1802

I posted this pic in a build report thread of mine, so I figured I would post it here as well.

I use a small, clean, tube amp with a direct out and speaker attenuation for an almost silent stage rig (playing in a church with in-ears). I let my pedals handle all of my dirty tones, and the amp does a great job of taking on the character of the various pedals.

Pedalboard is an IKEA Gorm Shelf. Signal Chain in order(not topographical order...)

DR 2000 Series Wireless Unit - I picked it up for about $30 shipped. The box was beaten to heck, but everything inside was factory fresh. New twist ties and plastic wrap. I will eventually move it to the underside of my board to leave room for some more pedals.

TC Electronic Polytune - Great tuner. Nuff Said.

Dunlop 535q Wah - Modified for actual true-bypass and I added some LEDs for funzies. It already had a red fasel inductor inside, but one day I want to buy a yellow fasel and set it up for red/yellow/series/parallel switching. More out of curiosity than anything else.

DOD FX-17 Wah/Volume - The wah on this thing is not my cup of tea, but it's the teeniest volume pedal I've ever seen. Sadly most gearheads ask about where they can get one instead of noticing my DIY pedals. I keep it by my tap switch for delay swells and such, but it's before my ODs in the chain because I like how it sounds there better.

MXR Classic Overdrive - From what I understand, this is just a Tube Screamer. I picked it up before it's actual release day from GC because it was cheap and "limited edition". I like it a lot. Inside the pedal there was a dipswitch to switch between tonestacks, so I moved the switch outside the pedal.

Hotcake/Shortstack - Built on jtn191's Shortstack board. I really really like this thing. It's a fantastic low-cutting overdrive. It stacks great for heavily (analogish) delayed sounds because it really cuts through the darker delay trails.

MB Yellow Shark(Honeybee OD) - I really like this guy too. I'm told it may get kicked off my board when I build ROG's Supreaux Deux, but we shall see. Right now I'm using it for that Supro-ish sound. It gets a lot of use from me on single note neck pickup licks on the high strings.

BSIAB 2 - My second build (started ~2008, finished ~2010). I don't remember who's board I built this one on, probably gaussmarkov's because I was reading through his website around the time I built this. I added a "second channel" switch. Basically I can switch between two sets of Vol and Gain knobs. The tone and mid knobs are universal to the two "channels," however. I'm considering attempting a 1590a build because I don't use both channels very often, and I need the space.

Madbean Collosalus - I've always been a huge MXR Flanger fan. When I was 17 I tried to build the project from Shredaholics. I was never able to find a SAD1024 and eventually gave up. So for me, the Collosalus was a longtime victory waiting to happen. I'm currently building a MB Current Lover that will occupy the gap on my pedalboard between the Collosalus and the DL4.

Line 6 DL4 - I picked this one up off the internet, broken, for basically the cost of shipping. I fixed her up good as new. Well, except for the fact that I stripped all the paint off...You can get more for them on ebay this way. I'm going to do the usual mods and ditch it on ebay for much more than I paid for it, and then start heading towards a TC Flashback x4 with the money.

Line 6 Verbzilla - or the pedal that made me money when I bought it. I love this thing for textures and swells. I would never leave a reverb pedal on all the time, it's just not my thing.

Marshall Echohead - When I first started looking into delay pedals I came across this one on craigslist for $20. I literally left $20 under this dudes welcome mat and took the pedal off his porch. Best craigslist transaction ever. The tap tempo pedal is connected to the Echohead. It doesn't do tap divisions, but tapping .8ths is pretty simple. It has a fantastic sounding Analog delay mode, and reverse delay for more textural sounds.

LPB-1 - This was my first build. I built it when I was 16(I'm 22 now). I bought the parts from Fry's Electronics and built it from a schematic on perfboard. I opened it recently and cleaned the wiring up some. My wiring is not very clean now, but it was apparently much worse. It's at the end of my chain so I can use it as a pure volume boost(set for about 5-8db) for lead breaks(church sound guys are usually deaf and cannot hear when lead breaks start). In front of my OD's I was getting different levels of boost when used in conjunction with each OD, but at the end, I get a pretty uniform boost level no matter what I am running before it.

The 1590a at the end of my chain. - Is literally an input jack wired to an output jack. The position of the LPB-1 doesn't work very well for plugging a straight guitar lead into it, so I made a little output box. Eventually I will put it underneath my board with a closed circuit input insert, so that in the event my wireless goes down, I can just plug a cable in and continue rockin'.

I have a couple other pedals that don't get used on this board:

EHX Freeze - I just got this, not a fan. If I don't find a way to use this soon, it will set a personal record for the shortest time between purchase and reselling of a pedal.

Violet Rams head muff clone - Too crazy for church(with the exception of the occasional lead tone). I have it boxed in a BB, so I'm building a 1590a version so that I can include it on my board and not worry about size.

Way Huge Red Llama clone - Not enough applications for church music and I'm not a huge fan of it, so I'll probably give it to a buddy or ditch it on ebay.

Eric Johnson FF clone in a 1590a - It doesn't play well with my wireless. Any recommendations on how to fix that?

Modded Boss DS-1 - I can sell it on ebay, but the going rate for even keeley modded DS-1s is about what I paid for mine. I'd rather just keep it or give it to a young talented guitarist when I see one(which is what I usually do with extra pedals.)

I also have countless PCB's that I am building, slowly but surely. I think I am addicted to buying PCB's. I feel like I never have time to build, but I always have time to buy PCBs.

rollo greb

Four madbeans on this one.

The lilac sparkly thing in the top right is a kingslayer. The purple 1590a is a fatpants. I love these two together! Almost never turn them off unless I'm using other drive pedals.

The white one is technically a madbean since there is a cave dweller pcb in it. This was a crazy idea of mine to build a deep blue delay and cave dweller in one box, with a switch to choose between the two, using dual gang pots where necessary. To top it off I added a taptation circuit in there with modulation. Turned out better than I could have imagined!

The pinkish one with the blue knobs is a loophole (I'm really into looping what with the boomerang as well). I added the vibrato to it and it works great (thanks Jakefuzz!)

Other DIY stuff on there: Blue one is a lunar module rehoused to add the two other controls. Green one is a meathead and a random number generator with a switch to choose the circuit, takes care of my crazy fuzz needs. Unfinished one on the left board is a BYOC reverb.

icecycle66

Opening day line up:

Six or five string bass > Turbo Tuner > Gstring > Boss Bass Eq > Madbean Low Rider > sfx MicroThumpinator > Jon Patton Blue Warbler > Red Panda Bit Crusher > The Wahfather > Madbean Green Russian > Telray Power Wah > Boss Bass Overdrive > Tonpad Ross Phaser > (Back to the Gstring) > Deep Blue Delay > 1776 Rub-a-Dub reverb >Carl Martin Comp/Limiter > amp

jimilee

Here's my rehearsal pedalboard as of late.
TU-2->BYOC Blues Breaker->Tonepad Phase 90->Chimaera BFD->Little AngelChorus->Cave Dweller->DeProfundis->BBE Sonic Stomp. This changes weekly usually,but this has been the setup for at least 2 weeks.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Rockhorst

@ rollo greb:
Ah! A fellow Boomerang user!

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on April 01, 2013, 08:02:12 PM

TU-2->BYOC Blues Breaker->Tonepad Phase 90->Chimaera BFD->Little AngelChorus->Cave Dweller->DeProfundis->BBE Sonic Stomp. This changes weekly usually,but this has been the setup for at least 2 weeks.

Are the pedals just loose in the bag?  I think it would be much easier if they were attached to something.  I built a board out of a $7 ikea shelf once and it worked fine.  Not as nice as a pedal train, but functional on the cheap.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Quote from: pickdropper on April 02, 2013, 07:23:49 AM
Quote from: jimilee on April 01, 2013, 08:02:12 PM

Are the pedals just loose in the bag?  I think it would be much easier if they were attached to something.  I built a board out of a $7 ikea shelf once and it worked fine.  Not as nice as a pedal train, but functional on the cheap.
Nope, there is velcro involved. It's a pedal board Gig bag. I have another pedal board that's twice as big and wooden, this is just more convenient for rehearsal.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

Quote from: icecycle66 on April 01, 2013, 07:29:29 PM
Opening day line up:

I'm pretty honored to have something on there. :)

jimilee

REPTAR

jkokura

Haven't posted a board in a long while, and this one is different enough that I thought I'd upload it!

The Tonepress may be replaced soon. I use it because it's a special edition, and I like red pedals. The Engineer's Thumb will likely go in it's place, although I'll want mine on another board I think.

The Polytune is a good upgrade from a TU-2. I like the interface quite a bit.

The Hero Drive is a Tim clone. I like it. I like it a lot.

The El Capistan may be replaced in the future by the Hamlet+. I'm really looking forward to that build, and I think you guys will like it too. But for now, the El Capistan does stuff I can't get out of a PT2399. I also sometimes use a Dirtbag and will potentially use the Aquaboy Deluxe in there when I get mine finished.

I haven't used the Favourite switch yet, just got in the mail this week and snapped a shot once I had it installed. But I look forward to being able to have two settings for the El Cap at my feet, along with the Tap Tempo. If strymon had enabeled the Tap switch to operate as either a favourite switch OR a Tap Tempo switch, I wouldn't have needed the Favourite switch. I don't use Tap Tempo unless I'm playing lead, and this pedalboard isn't really for playing lead, but rhythm.

Overall, I really like it.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

sdb guitars

Here's my "in progress" pedalboard:

DIY'd a few years ago from a Harbor Freight "road case style" tool case.  At 18" x 13", it's not quite wide enough to fit all of what I want, so I'll likely build something else.

Signal chain will probably be, when finalized:

Volume pedal from junk yard '60's Hammond tonewheel organ
'89 Dunlop "Original Cry Baby"
Veritas Transparent Boost/OD (simple booster, similar to Emerson Custom EM Drive)
Teleforce Beam Emitter (bufferless TS clone, kinda like Eternity "Burst")
Dirty Red Delay (Sea Urchin with modified part values)
Dirty Red Delay... "I'd Tap that," (JMK modular delay with modulating TapTation, part values mixed up with Sea Urchin and De Profundis)
Prince Charming In A Can (Rump Roast)
Tuner

I have 7 or 8 more pedals that just won't fit at this time...  I think I need a pedalboard at least 24" wide. LOL
SDB Guitars - turning exotic woods into sawdust and fireplace scraps since 2001
Luthier, SDB Guitars - http://www.facebook.com/sdbguitars

ryanisradd

Here is my current board setup, I slimmed down from two boards to one for a while.
Signal chain goes: boss tu-2 >torpedo fish (mad bean pepper spray, Albini's specs) > bass micro synth> fuzz factory clone> Mothra (madbean mudbunny triangle spec)> rude man (madbean range master)> chadderbox effects loud/louder boost> moog ring modulator> EB volume> western CF-2 (madbean pork barrel)> boss enhacer> big box MN3005 memory man with analog man impede ce and delay time mods> deluxe memory man w/tap temp 1100> stereo memory man (for looping) > mr black eterna> mr black supermoon

Its quite the space station and really fun to get lost in!
Affiliations: I work for Chase Bliss Audio making things with lots of DIP switches.

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

micromegas

Mesa Boogie Mark III: red stripe / two 6L6 / no EQ / Imbuya's cabinet (that's really fancy I know...)
Eventide Timefactor
Tc Electronics minipolitune
The guitars:
        1993 G&L Legacy with suhr v60lp's and a DSV in the bridge
        1989 Ibanez AM400

Everything second hand except timefactor and minipolitune:

Sorry, no pedalboard yet... only a few pedals laying around...
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io