Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

01.23.13 - Zero Point documentation

Started by madbean, January 23, 2013, 09:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garfo

Quote from: njkke on January 24, 2013, 08:27:49 PM
MLCCs in Europe? I've found nothing on Musikding and Banzai 
In Banzai would be Blocking capacitors I guess.I buy them form one of those too.

RobA

Quote from: madbean on January 24, 2013, 09:06:05 PM
[...]
Also, remember the 2.5mm requirement in only for four of the caps on the Micro build, and none of them are 1uF. It's explained in the doc.

Yeah, I was thinking more of the width on the 1µF. I was considering stretching the leads on the little film caps to fit. But, I think there might just be room to fit the 50V 5mm guys in there. I'll see when the board gets here.

BTW, I just looked at the docs for the SDX. It looks like that one is going to be fun.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

murdog47

Reg is missing from BOM and mouser nut link is bad. On the SDX  ;)

garfo

True story!!!it's the same as in the ZDD version, right???
Quote from: murdog47 on January 24, 2013, 10:07:51 PM

neiloler

Quote from: madbean on January 24, 2013, 09:17:50 PM
All documentation has been uploaded. Let me know if anything is amiss.

Yes, there seems to have been a major error: where is the included documentation to nominate you, Brian, for the Nobel Prize?
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

murdog47

Quote from: garfo on January 24, 2013, 10:33:22 PM

78L05, tracked it down on the schematic.

lincolnic

Question: are C11 and C22 on the SDX tantalum for any specific reason? Would a mini electrolytic work as well?

Stomptown

Quote from: madbean on January 23, 2013, 09:05:42 PM
I'm still working on this but will have something up by tonight. I made a couple last minute changes on the BOM to improve the input/output sections, so that took a bit of time today in the workshop. The delays are sounding great! I know people are going to dig them.

I will update here once I start posting the docs.

I also plan on doing a full pictorial type tutorial on building the ZPSDX. Considering the complexity I think it would be helpful. That will happen as the week goes on. Lastly, I will get demos done for the guys and up on youTube.

Hey Brian, I seem to remember you saying the zero point could be wired for tails. Are you including a how to in the full pictorial doc for the SDX that you plan on releasing?

RobA

Quote from: lincolnic on January 25, 2013, 05:52:45 AM
Question: are C11 and C22 on the SDX tantalum for any specific reason? Would a mini electrolytic work as well?
I can't answer why tantalum specifically on this design, but in general power supply filtering uses three types of capacitors for their specific characteristics at different frequencies of noise and signal. It's common to see spec sheets and application notes call for large electrolytics near the supply with midrange tantalum (2-10µF) followed by smaller ceramics (~100nF) near the individual chips' power supply legs. The tantalums usually have lower ESL and ESR than electrolytics, so they can respond better to higher frequency needs in the power supply. But, if you want to avoid using tantalum caps, there are newer electrolytics that do the job at least as well. I did some experiments a bit ago looking at how various caps worked in charge pumps and found that both the Nichicon PS series and Panasonic FR series caps worked better (had less voltage loss and noise) than tantalum caps . The Nichicon PS series are pretty small in size, not tiny, but they are small.

So, you can replace tantalums with electrolytic caps, but you do need to be careful about which electrolytics you use.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

madbean

The datasheets recommends tantalum for the +5v filtering and the actual space on the PCB allotted to them is quite small so I do recommend them in this case. But, it is not a must. I've used electrolytic many times for filtering the PT2399.

Stomptown - I will put the Tails mod in the Mod section. I decided against it on the PCB for space reasons. But, the mod is super simple and can be put together on a bit of vero in 5 minutes. I'll do that later today.

garfo

Ei murdog,i was comparing the regs on sdx and sea urchin and first uses78l05, and the second 7805.Do you know if they do the same job?thank you in advance :)
Quote from: murdog47 on January 25, 2013, 03:26:43 AM
Quote from: garfo on January 24, 2013, 10:33:22 PM

78L05, tracked it down on the schematic.

lincolnic

murdog47

Quote from: garfo on January 25, 2013, 06:01:42 PM
Ei murdog,i was comparing the regs on sdx and sea urchin and first uses78l05, and the second 7805.Do you know if they do the same job?thank you in advance :)
Quote from: murdog47 on January 25, 2013, 03:26:43 AM

I believe the 7805 and 78L05 need to be turned 180 degrees to replace each other. I will double check and get back to you :)

madbean

Should be 78L05 for everything. That's the regulator in a TO-92 package.

madbean

I've updated the ZPSDX doc to show the regulator in the BOM and also fixed the one broken link.