News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aristocrat help, possible wiring issues? I'm a noob

Started by Rocktifier, January 04, 2011, 10:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocktifier

Aristocrat

Just put together my aristocrat and when I went to test it, I got bypass signal but a horrible buzz when i turned either of the switches on.  This is the first time I've tried using the 3pdt wiring boards from smallbear and I think I may have wired something wrong.
I unboxed it to checked for solder bridges and rechecked my wiring to make sure I did what I thought i was supposed to.
I subbed 1n914 for ma856 and 1N4001 for 1S1588
Please ignore the unconnected blue wires for my LED's

If the pic is not clear enough here's how I wired the board to the 3pdt board:

#1 - Out.1
#2 - G.1  
#3 - In.1          
#4 - tip          

#5 - resistor - #6
#7 - LED -
#8 - #4 of second 3pdt switch

(second 3pdt wired the same)

9V and G.3 are running to DC jack

perhaps its a grounding issue? I did't run any grounds from the input jacks

[attachment deleted by admin]

jkokura

It may be grounding, but it could also be any number of other things. If the bypass signal is fine, then it's fair to say the problem is between the switches an the board or on the board.

The build documents are pretty clear about how to wire it. Did you follow the documentation?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Rocktifier

I followed documentation (although it's only for the single sided etched version) and remember I'm using the 3pdt boards from small bear which of course changes how the switches are wired.  I guess I'm wondering when the 3pdt board has a spot for ground, is that connected from the ground spot on the board or the jack or both?

Update:  Since unboxing my project, I get what sounds like the bybass signal with lots of hum whether the effects is engaged or disengaged.

eniacmike

if your project is unboxed there is no ground connected the jack. that is why you are getting hum outside the box.

I am pretty sure you need run a ground wire from your jacks to any ground point along the way and ground your enclosure.

I use the small bear 3pdt bypass boards all the time.. if you need extra spots for grounds put them on the top right hand lug of the 3pdt switch.

see where it shows the top right lug and says the internal ground plane connects this to number 2. run a wire from your jack to that lug and put it back in the enclosure to ground your other jack.

your pics are a little too dark and blurry for me to really make anything out.

Rocktifier

grounded the input jack and it fixed the buzz. 
Usually the output is grounded too, right?  When I ground it, turn the unit on and unplug the input cable, the LED's stay (using a battery for power).  Isn't everything supposed to shut off when input is unplugged to save battery life?

Rocktifier

I've noticed that when the output is Not grounded and I unplug the input cable, the pedal Does shut off.  What's up with that?

gtr2

I think it looks like you have a battery jack wired up from the above picture.  This is the way it should be wired so when you unplug your input your not leaving the effect draining the battery.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Rocktifier

Guess i should have been more clear. 
Do I ground the output jack?
When I do, the unit does not shut off when using a battery and unplugging the input

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

Quote from: hammy9 on January 18, 2011, 01:55:20 PM
Guess i should have been more clear. 
Do I ground the output jack?
When I do, the unit does not shut off when using a battery and unplugging the input

I'm not sure how this is happening. You need to take a look at the wiring diagrams and make sure you actually have wired things correctly.

In order to get the circuit to turn off when you unplug the input cable, you need both a switching DC Jack, and a Stereo 1/4" Jack if you're using a Battery Snap as well. You need to wire the red battery snap to the switching tab on the DC Jack, the Black to the ring of the input jack, and the power to the board goes from the sleeve of the DC Jack (the tip is grounded).

The Output should never come into play, whether or not it's grounded isn't the issue - the Output jack must be grounded in order for you pedal to work properly. Chances are however, that the Output jack is grounding through the enclosure, and you adding a wire to the sleeve tab is only only necessary if the circuit is outside of an enclosure. So again, I don't know why you keep having issues with the Output jack, and it has to be grounded but it should have no bearing on the circuit turning on or off.

Hope that helps.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

Sorry, I didn't read far enough up in the post..  Jacob is right as usual  ;)

FWIW I usually just ground the output to the case, but you have another issue..
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Rocktifier

Thanks, that's clear enough.  I seem to have everything working well now  ;)