News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Snarkdoodle and fat bastard (not a madbean build)

Started by small fish, January 07, 2011, 03:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small fish

After seeing some incredible nice builds here, I´ll show my "try-outs"  ;D
The diamond plate one is a snarkdoodle, the other one is a fat bastard.
I liked the comic-book-guy theme and transferred it to the only pedal which would match  ;)
The eye of the figure contains a 2mm led, it´s not very bright but I wanted to test it...
The snarkdoodle is a first try of working with diamond plate. I wanted to build a chunk-chunk (to get that "rectifier-feeling") with this, but drilling holes with this material is a bit difficult (the drill moves around, yep, bad equipment). Hope you enjoy them!
(I won´t post gut-shots, coz they´d look horrible  ;D )

The snarkdoodle

the fat bastard
Guitars are made of trees! Paper is made of trees!
Recycle your paper, so there are more trees left - to make guitars!

nzCdog

Cool man... I thought about trying treadplate on one of my pedals, but now that you mention the drilling... :-\
Nice builds :)

small fish

thx for your comment. the drilling, actual, isn´t as difficult as mentioned but it´s a bit tricky to flatten the "diamonds", so that you can install the pots and the switch correctly. I asked a friend of mine and he told me bout some special tools, which you can use. went to the hardware store and they were offered for about 85 Euros (appx. $100) each! I tried evilbay and got some used to make some efforts with them. the plate has to be complety locked in it´s place, otherwise you´ll get some nasty holes...
I f you´re considering of buying some: they´ll have several diameters for the drilling-hole and the piece above, which will flatten the metal. You first must (!) drill the original hole before you can switch to the counterbore / spotfacer, otherwise you won´t be able to drill the hole for the pot, coz the counterbares are not made for that....you see, I had to learn a little bit about "metal" to complete that (actually I´m selling fish... ;D )
here´s some pics:

the "counterbore"

what it does

what it looks like

the housing for the chunk chunk

needless to say, that you have to work exactly, coz the plate is just above the 1590 and is held by the pots and the switch - and exactly THAT isn´t easy  :P
btw, it´s the second pcb I´ve completed and only hear some osc. and squeels, but no sound....got some practice to do  :'(
hope it helps  :)
regards
Guitars are made of trees! Paper is made of trees!
Recycle your paper, so there are more trees left - to make guitars!