News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Addiction and How to Deal With It

Started by peAk, March 27, 2014, 06:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

So since December when I got into this hobby, I started purchasing PCBs. At first it was just like maybe 3 or 4 more than I was actually building but now it's gotten out of control. I probably have 35 different pcbs that I need to build that I haven't even started. I didn't want to miss out on anything that sounded interesting especially when fabbed pcbs go in and out of stock all the time, so I would jump on anything and everything that sounded appealing.

On top of that, periodically, I would go through the BOMs that I had at the time and order all the parts (plus extras) for those builds. Well, now...four months later, I am like.....crap, I am in over my head. I don't know and/or remember what components I have, don't have a clue which pcb will be the next one to work on, and I got about 4-5 builds that need to be boxed, yada yada yada

Just to be clear, all my stuff is organized in bins but I don't have any inventory spreadsheets yet filled out. So this isn't a case where I am dealing with a mess, more like....my heads a mess...LOL.

Obviously, there are probably many of you that deal with this so I was just looking for some sound advice on what's the best way to "get it together" and stay focused. I feel like it was way easier to focus in the beginning when it was just a few pedals on the mind than it is now.

Part of me feels like..."okay, do not buy another board until you build everything that you have" but I am not sure if that realistic.

Some people will probably just say that this is the nature of the beast with this addiction but I have to believe that people have went through something similar to this and balance things out.

Thoughts?

pryde

That pretty much sums up my situation except its been going on for 3 or 4 years  ;)

Piles of parts, pcbs, boxes, etc.

I don't worry about it too much. If I get an itch to build I will start populating a pcb and hopefully everything is here. If not I order it (along with anything else I think I "might" need). Excessive and wasteful? You bet.

aion

It depends on what's bothering you about it.

If it's the disorganization of everything: what I'd do is get a handful of ziploc bags and start sorting so that each bag has a PCB and all the parts to make it. (For the resistors, either put tape labels on the legs or leave the resistors in their bins - but don't put them in there loose unless you're really, really confident in your ability to read the color codes OR you're willing to measure them one by one when you pull them out.) This is a good way of getting an idea of your inventory, too - take notes of the parts you don't have or can't find, and make one big order once everything's sorted.

If it's the empty PCBs that bother you: start stuffing and soldering like a machine. Don't even think about boxing them up yet, or even testing - just solder everything you can. A stuffed, soldered PCB feels like it's barely one step away from a functional pedal (even though a lot of times the boxing and wiring is more work than the PCB itself) so it'll be a load off your mind.

If it's the lack of functional pedals (the fruit of your labor): there are two different tactics. The first is to just rank them in the order that you're most excited about hearing them, and start from there. This will get you the most payoff the most quickly, but some toward the bottom of the priority list may never get built. The second tactic is called "snowballing", where you rank them from smallest and simplest to biggest and most complex. The smaller ones (fuzz faces, boosts, etc.) will go much more quickly, so you'll feel like you're making a lot more progress as the number of unbuilt circuits drops. You're saving the hardest for last, but you've built up momentum by that point, so you'll have the resolve to build them. (You'll also have more experience, which means you'll be less likely to mess up the hard ones!)

jkokura

I think I had a period where I got tonnes of PCBs that were sitting in a little card organizer waiting to be used, but most of them were 2nds of PCBs I bought, like I bought 2 copies of builds I was doing. I eventually cleaned them out and sold off many of them. The real kicker is how many PCBs I've gotten that I've populated but never boxed up to be used. That list is HUGE.

Anyway, my point is, that's very normal. I'm a bit more of an organizer than you, so I have had a better time staying on top of all my stuff, but I don't think you're out of the ordinary compared to the rest of us.

Here's some good focus questions to help you get started on organizing.
1. What builds do I want to finish in the next 3 months? = organize yourself to get these builds done asap. Order parts, set out time to finish enclosures, assemble and test and finish those puppies by July.
2. What builds do I want to accomplish before the end of the year? = organize yourself to get these builds done later on this year. Make a list of things to order, spend some time designing graphics and such, set a goal to finish X pedals per month and consider how many hours a week you'll need to spend
3. What PCBs do I own that I want to build eventually, but am okay not getting to this year? = creating a system to organize your PCB collection into 'will be used soon, will be used eventually, keeping until I'm sure I won't build it'
4. What PCBs do I own that are extras/never will build projects? = get them up for sale to generate some cash to buy the parts to finish the projects you have on the slate.
5. What am I missing from my part organization system? = an answer to a product or a procedure that will help you get yourself more organized and ready to keep at this hobby for the long term.

In many cases, it's very helpful to create a budget for yourself. Maybe it's $20 a month, or perhaps it's $50 - depends on the person. This budget can help you set a timeline for yourself, or in other words, using up your allotted funds gives you a bit more control over the 'I want it so I'll get it' feeling, and helps you focus on the projects in your lap right now. In many cases, you may have found yourself with X number of PCB purchases, but you should have spent the money buying those 5 PCBs on buying 3 enclosures to help you finish the projects you have on the slate.

One key here might simply to get out a sheet of paper, and use a pencil so you can adjust it, and give yourself time to create a chart of the projects you want to accomplish or have available for you to accomplish. A whiteboard or spreadsheet could easily be used.

I use a spreadsheet with multiple tables on it. In one table I list the projects I have that I want to do, and then I have another table for projects coming up, and a last table for projects on the go. I have columns that will help me control the process of the builds. So, there's one for "parts" in which I can say things like, "needs part ordering," or "only missing enclosure" or things like that. There's another category for the enclosure that might read "needs graphic design" or "finished, needs drilling" or "ready". I'll have another column for the PCB which might read, "ordered," or "populated" or perhaps "tested and ready."

Once a project is fully completed, I delete it from the list. When a project is deleted from the list because it's finished, I then move a project from the 'coming up' table, and I consider what project from the 'I want to do this' table into the 'coming up' table. That way, I keep control over every project that I have on the go, and I also keep tabs on the status of each of the projects available.

Another key is that I rank them too, so a project I really want to do (rated a 5) might jump up the list quickly, but there are projects that are rated a 1 or 2 that might stay on the 'I want to do' table before jumping into the 'coming up' table. Sometimes they eventually get deleted because I find that I don't want to do them anymore, and I either sell of the PCB if I bought it or it just goes to the wayside.

Anyway, enough rambling about my process. Hope what I do helps you or others on keeping the hobby from getting out of control.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jubal81

Lately I've gotten to the point where I 'just feel like soldering' so I'll sit down with some empty boards and populate them leaving out whatever parts I'm missing. Then I go back and check missing parts for making an ordering list.

It sounds like you're really in this for the long haul, so it's important to get organized. I use the 'coin envelopes in a box' system, but I keep the most common parts in a storage box. Great system that's cheap to put together and I can usually stuff even big boards in about an hour since everything is right at hand.

Also, color coding makes things easier. Yellow = resistors, red=caps, diodes=blue

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

muehring

You could make kits for yourself.  Throw all the parts needed for the build in a bag.  Write the name on it and throw it in the corner.  Then it's ready to go whenever.  If you're missing parts make a list for next time you order.

Tremster

It was like that for me, too, and still is, mostly.
When I lost track of which pots and ICs I had ordered specifically for some projects and found I had too many of this value but none of that which I needed, I started making a spreadsheet of everything, resistors, caps, diodes, transistors, pots, ICs, jacks, switches etc. etc. and force myself to update it after a pedal is finished. With caps and resistors it's probably not 100% accurate because there's no real danger of running out of them, but at least with transistors, pots and ICs.
And slowly I find that I order fewer PCBs and not just everything that someone on here is selling. Interesting fuzzes, modulation, yes, but yet another low gain drive or boost, no.
And really, I swear to myself every time I can't get a pedal to work, which sadly happens too often, that I WILL quit the whole hobby right after the current to-do pile is done with. And the to-debug pile is growing.
Currently waiting for three PCB delieveries ......

jimilee

It was that way for me too, now when I build, I just start soldering and when I don't have a part, I make a list and start soldering on something else.  When I come across a good deal on the forums, such as hardware or pcbs, I buy it. That helps with lots of extra parts too.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

AllenM

I am in the same boat :) I have about 40+ pcbs I bought over the last year but kept putting off ordering parts until I could save enough to buy in bulk to save on some shipping. Now that I have all my parts I was staring at all these projects trying to decide where to start.

First step was to organize all my parts in my bins and parts boxes so I could locate them easily. Then I printed off the BOM page for each PCB and started pulling the parts and marking off the BOMs so I would know if I was missing anything. For resistors I came up with the idead to use blue tape sticking one end of the resitor to the tape with the resistors in order (R1 - R15 for example) then fold it over and label the ends for start and end (hope that makes since). I place each PCB, parts and a paper label of the project in a plastic baggie. Now when I am in the mood to build I just look thru the kits and grab a few and start soldering.. then test.. then put them in to the need to box pile.

Now I just need to streamline by boxing procedure. With this setup I can knock out 3 pr 4 pcbs in a sitting.

SO hopefully in a week or two I will start posting finished projects :)

AllenM

TNblueshawk

I'm a tad anal dare I say about how I went about it. I've built just shy of 60 pedals as a home hacker. How stupid. But then that is what a hobby is after all. You don't do it because you have to or you NEED every single thing you build kind of thing. I love the crap out of this DIY thing. I was doing DIY prior to 2011, just not electronics or music related DIY.

Anyhoo.... the way I finally landed on going about things was I'd take a gander at a handful of PCB's. Decide which ones I wanted to build next. I typically did between 3-8 (don't do 8 at one time. You will lose your mind). I would then buy box of those huge plastic bags that zip. I put some good tunes on, crack open my first beer and go through each BOM and toss in all the parts I have for that build. I write down the stuff I'm missing. Dont' just toss in caps, diodes, resistors etc.. but I put in the 3PDT, jacks, pots, LED, bezels etc... everything. Zip it up and set it aside. Grab the next BOM, wash rinse repeat.

Now you got say half a dozen bags all bagged up along with a list of things you didin't have.

I always figure now is a good time to do an inventory check of things I'm low on so I can get the most bang for my buck on shipping. Order your crap and build. Whether I do the PCB or enclosure first flip flops. I've done both and or at the same time kind of thing.

What I don't do however is start something and not finish it. I believe that is how folks get in trouble. The down side is that if I have a build that doesn't work I simply can't go on to the next one until I get it working (95% of the time). If I can't figure it out I ask for help. I guess it is the OCD nature of me that I can't start another one. I guess it has both positive and negatives to it.

I've done the old build one PCB, do one enclosure (drill, sand, paint, decal and epoxy) but what I found is I can save a little time doing say 3-4 enclosures at one time so drill, sand etc... 4 at one time. To each his own It's whatever you enjoy more. Also, I'm not sure anyone really enjoys offboard wiring as an aside

Now, what to do about new projects you see and you think dang if I don't buy that board now it won't be around. I can't help you there really. It is one of those things you just have to check yourself I guess (or your wife, if married, checks you for you  :o)

A place like Bean's I will usually let it ride and get it when I'm ready but if not it might be around later in his store and or Haberdasher will etch it for me if it disappears  ;D The ones I'm never sure about are the cool cats who come up with stuff who are doing one off circuits if you will and a group buy. If you snooze you lose. But even then if you post you are looking to buy xyz someone likely has a board around. I remember asking about a Magnus Modulus board a few years after the craze wore off. I could have bought a dozen of those things. I thought I'd be lucky to find one though.

Anyway, don't stress it. Just do your thing, develop your style of how you like to do things based on your DNA and go for it.
John

twin1965

I started making pedals in the mid 90's. Gave up for a number of years. Sold everything except my pedals and some populated boards. Fell off the wagon about two years ago!

I control the urge now by planning what I want to build. I write a list and go by the order. I build things that I don't already have or unusual effects that I want to try. I don't hoard components any more. I keep a small stash and order what I need. I put all the components for that build together in a zip bag and label it.

I usually have a 'binge" build and make several pedals in one go! I got six pedals to do in the coming week. Just need to find the time.

One good thing about this addiction: it won't kill you!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

TNblueshawk

Quote from: twin1965 on March 27, 2014, 08:17:32 PM
One good thing about this addiction: it won't kill you!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Unless you get into amps like I have  :P
John

juansolo

Deal with it?  :o

Embrace the addiction!  ;D

It'd cost you a shit load more if it was cigarettes and you'll live a lot longer than if it was heroin.

My logic is flawless  :P
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Jean-Rock

Quote from: juansolo on March 27, 2014, 09:12:44 PM
Deal with it?  :o

Embrace the addiction!  ;D

It'd cost you a shit less more if it was cigarettes and you'll live a lot longer than if it was heroin.

My logic is flawless  :P
+1

Some people play golf or hockey, others collect guitars or anything else.......we build pedals, what a great hobby ! Enjoy!  :-)
Jonny Rock the "French Canadian"

Affiliation : Jonny Rock Gear

http://www.jonnyrockgear.com

twin1965

Quote from: TNblueshawk on March 27, 2014, 08:21:24 PM
Unless you get into amps like I have  :P

True. Not got to building amps - yet!