News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

What is succotash? I know that Sylvester the Cat has a catchphase of "Suffering Succotash!"
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

Quote from: alanp on May 13, 2018, 10:07:51 PM
What is succotash? I know that Sylvester the Cat has a catchphase of "Suffering Succotash!"

Corn and Lima beans (or other beans I suppose, often from a can), usually with other stuff mixed in (my grandma always added tomatoes and bell peppers in hers). Was a popular food during the great depression era (1930s), when she was growing up, which is why I suppose she liked it.

davent

This succotash used frozen corn and frozen edamame beans (small and green), if i had limas would have used those.

In butter sauteed some onion and garlic, threw in heated through beans and corn, stirred in some greek yogurt. Mixed in chopped cilantro then topped with a mix of diced cherry tomatoes/sliced scallions and more chopped cilantro. Finally crumbled feta over it, salt and pepper.

Will make it this way again if i remember too, was a tasty combination.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

chromesphere

Dave, why do I click on this thread at lunch time EVERYTIME....why?  My reheated leftovers look even more miserable then ever before....

Awesome food as always mate, I nearly took a bite out of my screen :)
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

chromesphere

So, obviously not quite the same level as Dave's food...

This is a favorite "heading for winter" (southern hemisphere here ;-) ) weeknight meal of mine.  Its easy to make.  It's hot, temperature and spice, hearty and comforting.  Mines obviously a little different from the recipe, i add winter vegetables because, well, their good for me.  I also hold back on the chilli as it tends to upset my guts.

Bonus: Recipe included.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

stringsthings

Watched "Beat Bobby Flay" the other day and they made this:  Cacio e Pepe.
It's a simple but really delicious Italian dish that only has a few ingredients:  pasta, pecorino cheese, black pepper, butter.
I bought a nice piece of pecorino calabrese at the local kroger and added a bit of grated parm.  I made it yesterday and today.
Used some olive oil yesterday and added too much.  Left out the olive oil today and really nailed it. Yum!
It's basically an Italian version of mac and cheese.  No garlic! what?

( pic from the net )
All You Need Is Love

alanp

Boris' latest cooking video was hilarious. Hungarian blins. Kinda. If you squint right.

And if you're completely allergic to the fact that a lot of recipes that call for yeast, or baking powder, or baking soda, sometimes substitute fizzy  drink.

I recommend pikelets instead.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

stringsthings

Just made one of the best pasta dishes that I've ever tasted!

Pennette Ala Vodka
Recipe courtesy of Carla Pellegrino

pictures don't do the dish justice.  the only downside:   it takes a long time to prepare.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pennette-ala-vodka-recipe-1948467

All You Need Is Love

alanp

Three quarters of a cup of vodka?! I need to know, what does this taste like to you?
- Terry Pratchett
My website

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on August 21, 2018, 09:41:56 PM
Three quarters of a cup of vodka?! I need to know, what does this taste like to you?

He can't tell you, he still has a hangover.

In all seriousness, I can't get vodka sauce to taste like anything except the vodka no matter how long I cook it, but I hadn't tried making it a cream sauce instead. Maybe the cream masks some of the christmas tree taste.

stringsthings

Quote from: alanp on August 21, 2018, 09:41:56 PM

tastes like chicken
All You Need Is Love

alanp

I've tried Smirnoff, and Stolichnaya. Both smelt and tasted of nail polish remover, to my tongue. (Standard disclaimer -- meatworker, etc, etc.) I also bought a bottle of Finlandia once. It took two years to drain that bottle.

Picked up a bottle of Russian Standard vodka, and wow! This stuff is seriously nice, no smell of nail polish remover, and smoooov. Really smooth. Very, very nice!
- Terry Pratchett
My website

EBK

Supposedly, you can pour bottom-shelf vodka through a water filter 6-7 times to turn it into slightly-higher-than-bottom-shelf vodka.  Overall, though, it is imprecise distilling or cost-shaving that causes distillers to keep the "tails" in the batch that make it taste less nice.  Stay away from any brand that also sells flavored vodka (which tells you that they don't care about or take particular pride in the vodka itself).
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

alanp

Okay, so I picked up some curry roux (from the Japanese section in the supermarket.)

I have 600gram of gravy beef. (It's cheap.)

I have potato. I have carrot. I have onion.

BUT.

The measurements on the box are in Grandpa Simpson measurements!

Can someone tell me what these are in terms of medium potato, medium onion, and average carrots?

13 oz onion, 3.5 oz carrot, and 5 oz potato
- Terry Pratchett
My website