News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

We're in summer right now, and it's too damn hot. I love winter, I wish it was winter right bloody now.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Swap?

I'm dreaming of a hot green Christmas...
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

I've apparently decided that grilled cheese sandwiches with fancy cheddar are the greatest thing ever. I think it has something to do with frying the bread in a lot of butter.

davent

Inspired by the offering of a local restaurant my last grilled cheese was made with triple cream brie, left over roasted pork, hot peppers and grainy Dijon, mmmmm. The panini press is just such a handy toy to have around.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

das234

On my cheese sandwiches, I like to butter the bread and dip the buttered side in freshly grated Parm Reggiano or Gran Padano (or maybe Vella Dry Jack) before grilling to give it a nice crust.

davent

Gotta try that, sounds tasty. What kind of inner cheese makes it all happen?

midwayfair

Well, I know what I'm making for lunch tomorrow!

das234

Quote from: davent on December 21, 2013, 08:41:59 PM
Gotta try that, sounds tasty. What kind of inner cheese makes it all happen?
Depends what you like.  I usually pick something that melts up nice, or a combination.  Fontina is good, some of the mild mexican cheeses melt nicely, maybe a goat gouda.  A touch of garlic is nice too. 

midwayfair

Have I mentioned my love of omelets?

Spinach, italian hard cheeses, novello olive oil, smoked salt, and a bit of herbs de provence. :)

atreidesheir

bread+provolone+pepperoni or other cold cut = grilled, then dipped in spaghetti sauce is very easy and very nice.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

das234

Made pizzas last night.  My favorite was a breakfast pizza: Hollandaise sauce, eggs, sharp cheddar & jack cheeses, crumbled bacon, breakfast sausage and green peppers.  Tastes like happiness.

davent

Right about now i need something that tastes like summer! (as they clear the snow banks from the road in front of the house and return it to two lanes of traffic.)

Looking and sounding good guys, got short ribs braising in the oven soon to be joined there by a tray of garlic, herbs and olive oil coated root vegetables, winter soul food.

midwayfair

Quote from: davent on January 11, 2014, 01:01:41 PM
Looking and sounding good guys, got short ribs braising in the oven

Holy coincidence batman, that was our dinner tonight, too! I did just potatoes (on top of everything -- not in the liquid), onions, carrots, and celery, with some reduced red and white wine in the bottom for the braising liquid. Almost no oil, just the rendered fat from searing the short ribs first. Tinfoil covering and an hour and a half in the oven. Twas very good, but it was one of those cases where I should have had the foresight to let the ribs sit in some salt on the counter for a couple hours beforehand to dry out a bit.

davent

Cross-cut short ribs, may be my favourite cut of beef, just so loaded with flavour and fall-apart tender when braised. Great food can be so easy!

More or less followed a recipe from a book called Bones, simple and so tasty.

(For two sets) Salt and pepper the ribs, browned  in a bit of olive oil. Remove from the pan, saute an onion in the rendered fat/olive oil until translucent, deglaze pan with 3/4 cup red wine, add a couple diced carrots, a cup of summer canned tomatoes, three large cloves minced garlic, chili flakes. Bring back to a boil add ribs back in, cover with a parchment paper lid then the pan lid, into the oven for 1 1/2 hrs. Remove parchment lid and cook another hour or so until meltingly tender. To serve sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.

No leftovers...

alanp

Massively lazy hotdogs.

Cut a small cut in two long buns. Butter 'em. (Margerine 'em, to be in keepin' with the spirit of this.) Chuck two lengths of cheese on one side, one on the other side. (Or two and two, your choice.) Microwave two frankfurters for one minute combined (the skin is nicely crunchy this way.) Put the frankfurters in the buns w' cheese. Add mustard and Whitlock's Tomato Chutney (best. Tomato. Sauce. EVER.)

Lazy hotdogs done fer consumption.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website