News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Aww, we lost so many beautiful posts!

Not much to look at, but both were delicious:

Striped bass and fried eggplant.

H Mart had strippers for like $2.50/pound that day, which is just insane.

Venison medallions, hunter's sauce, and garlicky mashed potatoes:

And no pictures of this (my camera's dead), but here's a recipe of a sammich I made the other day that was fabulous:

Deer Cheese "Steak" sub
Per sandwich:
1/4 pound thinly sliced deer meat per sandwich is enough unless you're greedy.
Half a medium yellow onion, sliced.
Two slices of bacon
Some thin slices of mimolette (see below)
Spinach (or lettuce, but spinach is better, trust me)
Tomato (if you have it)

Cider vinegar reduction:
Bacon fat
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp honey
Half sub roll, toasted. (And don't use squishy bread.)

Season the deer meat with some salt and pepper.

Heat a skillet over medium heat and sautee the onions with a pinch of salt for 20 minutes. Or just put it in the oven for 30 minutes so you don't have to stand there and constantly stir. If you want to be really high-speed, deglaze the pan afterward with a little water and sautee them for another 5 minutes.

Fry the bacon in a separate pan and reserve 2 tsp of the fat per sandwich.

Push all the onions to one side in the skillet, put the heat on high, and put about 1 tsp of the bacon fat into the skillet. When it's hot, sautee the deer meat for about 2 minutes, then remove the onions and meat to a plate and cover.

Turn the heat back to medium, and deglaze the skillet with the cider vinegar, then stir in the bacon fat and honey. It's done when you get very thick bubbles. Either spoon it onto one side of the toasted roll or just stick the bread into the pan. I guess you could just toss the meat and onions in it, but that seems less fun.

Add the mimolette slices, lettuce, and tomato (if you have it) to the sub.

You might be asking "what the heck is mimolette?" It's a hard slightly aged French cheese, similar to Edam with annatto flavoring. It's really tough to suggest a replacement for this. Cheddar is too sharp but still goes with the apple cider vinegar. Regular Edam doesn't have much flavor, but you can add a little nutmeg to it to fake some of the flavor of the annatto in mimolette. Mimolette also tastes a little like Parmesan, so you could mix some parmasan and get closer.

raulduke

Looks delicious!

I love Venison. Its my favourite red meat.

I have it a lot in Austria (go every year on holiday) and they cook a stew with red wine, juniper berries, lots of rosemary. Usually served with their noodles (spaetzle).

Bloody gorgeous it is!

midwayfair

Quote from: raulduke on January 28, 2016, 09:36:36 AM
I have it a lot in Austria (go every year on holiday) and they cook a stew with red wine, juniper berries, lots of rosemary. Usually served with their noodles (spaetzle).

Yeah, this is one of my favorite ways to make it, but unfortunately our juniper bushes died years ago (some weird soil problem I think), and the Rosemary is freezer burned right now. :)

This was wild. My sister's boyfriend hunts and we were lucky enough to get some for Christmas. Consumable presents are the best.

lightsoundgeometry

you guys are awesome, holy shit im hungry !

SmoothAction

-Braised potato medley (garlic, shallot, irish butter, splash of chicken bone stock, rosemary, thyme, S+P)
-Baked asparagus (safflower oil, S+P, about 5-6min @500f)
-Ribeyes (room temp)... smoking hot cast iron pan, dry. 1:45min, flipped for another 1:45 in the oven @500f. Render fat, pull out. Let rest.
-Disable fire alarm (SMOKE!!11!1!)
-Gorgonzola irish butter (50/50, melted)
-A vegetarian couple savored it with passion. I'm proud of em. Warmed my heart to see blood dripping from their lips. Adorable.
-Blood, fat, wine, bed.

midwayfair

Scruffie

Quote from: SmoothAction on February 04, 2016, 11:42:34 PM
-A vegetarian couple savored it with passion. I'm proud of em. Warmed my heart to see blood dripping from their lips. Adorable.
Oh don't tell me you're one of those people...

Otherwise, that potato dish looks tasty.
Works at Lectric-FX

davent

Looks terrific and nice atmospheric photos!

... but i want my cutting board back...

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

SmoothAction

Quote from: Scruffie on February 05, 2016, 05:51:05 AM
Quote from: SmoothAction on February 04, 2016, 11:42:34 PM
Oh don't tell me you're one of those people...

Otherwise, that potato dish looks tasty.

Ha! Not quite sure what you mean.. Nothing against vegetarians, my girlfriend is vegetarian 98% of the time. I'm still stoked our vegetarian friends devoured rare ribeye. It's not a full conversion by any means. They are vegetarian for moral reasons, it's cool they had an open mind to try it. They ended up scarfing it up. Cheers.

davent

Quote from: davent on February 05, 2016, 10:53:11 AM
Looks terrific and nice atmospheric photos!

... but i want my cutting board back...

dave

And yes my wife approved too!

nicely done
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

lightsoundgeometry

Iron Chef - stompbox international !

HIGH CUISINE !

davent

Each month one of the other food threads i post in does a themed week, not my idea or choice but the consensus for this month was mac and cheese.

Yesterday

Haven't had a box of this since the early eighties so why not, naturally with a yogurt/spice marinated lamb cutlett.

And after thirty plus years, lipstick on a pig...

If yesterday was nostalgia today was about pasta.

Side

My butcher made me up some veal sausage with sundried tomatoes and fresh basil. De-case these and they make a terrific base to build a tomato sauce for the pasta of your choice, preferably something chunky but that's another day.

Cheese

White, white ball of mild buffalo mozzarella, sliced down to dime size pieces and marinated for the afternoon in EVOO with some muffuleta (alot of spellings for that one)  olive mix, chili flakes, lemon zest, minced garlic, parsley and minced dried tomatoes.

Mac

Cuttle fish ink pasta.

In the summer when the garden's bursting with tomatoes, basil and garlic we make an uncooked pasta sauce using those along with olive oil. This  pasta will work great with that sauce.

dave

alanp

Sorry, but that pasta...  :o

A month or so ago, my sister decided to book a table at La Strada (or something) for her birthday.

I felt so goddamn out of place and unwelcome, that the ONLY thing I ordered was garlic bread. And a beer to steady my nerves. (I'd've had another six, but it was a Sunday night, not Saturday...)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

raulduke

Looks tasty. You checked out smoked mozzarella (affumicata)? I imagine that would go very nice with some veal sausauge.

I'm not usually fussy about food, but the one thing I had that I struggled to finish was snails presented to me at a French restaurant (set menu). Just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should. I finished em' but I won't be stocking up any time soon (or scouring the garden for supper)  :o