News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeMonk

Gonna make this really simple.
Everytime I've been to the market, NO steaks. Pork chops, yes, hamburger, sometimes. but NO steaks. FOR  TWO DAMN MONTHS!

One of these is cooking as I type:

My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

alanp

Ah. I see where you've gone wrong.

What you want is New Zealand Angus Beef... ;)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

CodeMonk

My Jet has been in the shop or I would have picked some up.
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

midwayfair

Got a reasonably sized whole yellowtail at H Mart and filetted it. Loins will be for sushi, but Lexa wanted something hot for dinner today, so the bellies/flanks I made into this:

There's a tapas restaurant we like that does sardines a lot like this. Olive oil, pablano pepper for some heat; half a red pepper; some onion and garlic; and lemon, lime, and clementine for citrus. Couscous underneath and a pan fried purple potato.

The head and carcass were enough to bother making fish stock out of.

Still wish I had a fraction of Dave's plating game ...

EBK

Did you save the yellowtail collar to cook separately?  That's good stuff.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

midwayfair

Quote from: EBK on June 06, 2020, 04:43:58 PM
Did you save the yellowtail collar to cook separately?  That's good stuff.

Honestly I just didn't think we'd get around to it. I used it in the stock. :(

It was also a really small yellowtail, under 3 pounds, so I didn't waste very much. Normally I bake whole fish that we get (so literally every bit that you can eat gets eaten) but this was just way too big for us and I hate dealing with fish leftovers.

I am really paranoid about refrigerating fresh fish for even a couple days, especially when it's a fish I prefer rare. Most of the time I don't even buy a fish that won't get eaten in one setting.

davent

Paella tonight but the only thing from Spain is the pan. Pretty much Mandy Lee's Laksa-Flavored Paella recipe.

Shrimp paste made with dried shrimp, red & yellow curry pastes, curry powder, coconut milk and coconut oil, ground coriander, brown sugar...

Arborio rice, Bomba requires a special trip to the one of two place in the city i've found that might have some.

Topped with grilled shrimp, chorizo, edamames and cilantro which are all a stray away from the original approach which we did follow on the first trip through.

Massive massive flavor explosion and pretty good heat.

Had a half carton of buttermilk left after doing buttermilk chicken so always end up using it for panna cotta, made yesterday topped that with rhubarb roasted with minced ginger and honey. So far rhubarb's the only hing coming from the garden. Pretty perfect antidote to the heat of the paella.

Take care!
dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

Couscous with peppers, tomatoes, and onions; baba ganush; green tea with mint and raw sugarcane.

davent

We eat our years worth of asparagus, binging during the brief window in May & June when you can get the locally grown stuff straight from the growers.

Last night was shaved asparagus slaw for fish tacos, tonight it was briefly steamed to colour, couple fried eggs, 12 year old English cheddar, feta cheese, chives & Saigon hot sauce atop multi-grained toast.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

Dave, are you typoing when you say "12 YEAR old cheddar"?

If not ... could you please explain this to me. Like I've never heard of any cheese being aged past 24 months. Parmasean at that age is crystalized almost 1/3 of the way through the wheel, I can't imagine what another 8 years would do to a cheese. Is it like all rind or something?

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

davent

That's what it's sold as, 12 year old cheddar, they also have 7 year old orange cheddar, 3 year old, none is packaged, you pick what you want and how much you want. The 12 year is pretty delicate to handle, you're not going to be able to cut very thin pieces, crumbles away.

Looks to be a number of 12 year olds produced in Wisconsin.

https://www.google.com/search?q=12+year+old+cheddar+cheese&rlz=1C1OKWM_enCA899CA899&oq=12+year+old+cheddar&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0.9282j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

dave

midwayfair

I don't think I've posted my vegetarian ma po tofu.

Normally I make it just chopped mushrooms and tofu in chili oil with some black bean paste, shaoxing wine, black vinegar, scallions, and sichuan peppercorn (which my wife doesn't like, so I have to put it on top at the end), but I added some chopped red peppers and reconstituted dried Kashmiri chilis for color, and some fresh bamboo shoots (!) that I prepared today for some texture (unfortunately the yellow wasn't bright enough to show up once the sauce got on them ...). With some sweet rice. Chili oil continues to be the most dangerous thing in the kitchen ...

Incidentally: I am REALLY, REALLY glad I looked up how to prepare fresh bamboo shoots before cooking with them, as this was my first time getting them completely raw. They apparently contain cyanide in varying levels depending on the varietal and need to be parboiled first.

alanp

Came across something called "Chive Flower Vinegar" -- you or Dave tried that?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Quote from: alanp on June 10, 2020, 09:46:46 PM
Came across something called "Chive Flower Vinegar" -- you or Dave tried that?

I haven't tried it or heard of it before but do have a garden full of flowering chives. i imagine you would just steep some of the those flowers in white vinegar and you're good to go.
dave