News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Grilled, spiced pork tenderloin on a pita with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, baby arugula, lime juice, garlic sauce and Sriracha. Half a tenderloin from the freezer good for two, bottle of garlic sauce from the neighbourhood shwarma/falafel/pizza/wing shop, quick and easy with the basics and it didn't rain until we were doing dishes.

Rhubard/raspberry pie, last of the freezer rhubarb but the garden is maybe a week away from the first harvest and raspberry canes we planted last year are coming back strong, a mix of red, black and yellow.

Stay well. dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Local,  local, local - local asparagus hit the market this week to go with the ramps, baby arugula, eggs, as much as i can source from the farmers market, local 2019 baco noir, local musician for stereo tunes.

A two egg fresh pasta for two with ramps, asparagus, baby arugula sauce, lemon zest and juice, Arbol chili flakes, olive oil and a good pile of Parmesan. This one was killer.

Still enjoying rhubarb/raspberry pie with 11% plain yogurt...

Take care.dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

A couple from this week.

Have sixty tomato plant seedlings awaiting warm weather and jars of last summer's tomato sauce and tomato chunks to use up and make way for this years harvest.

Quick one to lower the jar count by one. Shakshuka which is a Mediterranean dish of eggs poached in tomato sauce. Lots of different names, spellings, seems every country ringing the Mediterranean has a version.

This one's a Lake Ontario version using pretty much what's on hand, what do i need to use up. One jar tomato chunks, half a red onion, minced garlic, red pepper, poblano pepper, chorizo, chili flakes, tomato paste, cilantro, feta cheese, eggs, sourdough bread...

Curried shrimp cakes, wanted to try grilling these but too soft and fragile & breaded so pan fried topped with cilantro, potatoes did get grilled then topped with garlic sauce, Sriracha and backyard chives, barely cooked - heated enough to melt butter local asparagus , squeeze of lemon, Maldon & pepper.

Have a good week.dave

mjg

Oh nice, I think I'll try out the Shakshuka recipe.  Looks like a good one to use up ingredients.

davent

Grill season is here, three for one, Friday, all beef sausage on the Weber Kettle, Hungarian mustard, sweet pickle relish & pepperoncini.

Saturday, pizzas on the gas grill finished under the oven broiler, hickory smoked chicken wings on the kettle with Cholula/butter sauce. Pizza #1 shaved asparagus with fior di latte and another cheese i'd never heard of before and can't remember the name, gift from one my cheese merchants, #2 our goto, garden tomato sauce, a dried sausege of some description this one cacciatore, pickled hot peppers this time pepperoncini, good melting white cheese this time the other half of the fior di latte ball.

Saturday, first garden rhubarb harvest and pie for 2021.

Sunday asparagus fix, striploin and potato discs grilled over lump charcoal on the kettle, heated through asparagus, buutter and salt. Striploin toppe with blue cheese butter.

Weather finally great this week, much transplanting of starts and seeding finally done.

take care.dave

davent

Last weekend's wings were a last minute add on to extend the meal for extra mouths to feed, so good we needed to make 'm the centre of a meal. To that end, grilled/hickory smoked chicken wing drums in Cholula butter sauce, local asparagus can carry on forever, lightly steamed, butter, chili/flaked salt. Green lentils braised in chicken stock, bacon, carrots, onions & garlic, finished with butter, Greek yogurt and parsley. Fresh squeezed lemonade because it's now hot here, someone flipped a switch.

Long weekend up here, have a good one!dave

davent

Time again to dig out the propane burner and paella pan, another use for the on going local asparagus binge. Bomba rice, chorizo. shrimp, local asparagus, onions, jar of tomato chunks, garlic and frozen romano beans from last summer's garden, cilantro,  shrimp & saffron infuse chicken stock. Dinner for two and then our daughter showed up to go for a run... another batch of shrimp was needed...

Have an okay week.dave

EBK

I am an open-minded, but skeptical carnivore cooking some Beyond Meat for the very first time today (hamburgers and hot Italian sausage).  I'm not hoping for an identical-to-meat experience, but I am hoping for something delicious.  Fingers crossed.

Update:  Rather than post a detailed review, I'll just say that I wouldn't eat it again.  There is a smell that I couldn't enjoy.  :( 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

PapaKev

Quote from: jimilee on May 31, 2021, 09:48:15 AM

I made that happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just fell in love with you. My, that looks amazing.

jimilee

[emoji16] thank you, it was. It's the first one of those I've ever made, I usually stick to cakes.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

Leftover grilled chicken wings, half a jar of garden tomato sauce boosted with sauteed onion, garlic, celery, red peppers, chili flakes and pasta water. Parmesan and parsley to top , not sure what the proper name is for the little hats.

Grilled Argentinian cross cut short ribs, coated with olive oil, minced garlic, chili flakes and dried oregano. Grilled Hasselback potatoes with chive/garlic butter, an hour on the gas grill then moved them to the charcoal grill when i was doing the ribs hoping to get some charring, wrapped in foil so no idea until opened up to eat and a fail there. Tasted great but no char so next time in contact with the charcoal not just very close. Crunchy local asparagus with butter and chili/flaked salt, maybe good for another month then it's asparagus hiatus 'til next spring.

ANd we're off, have good week.dave

midwayfair

Quote from: EBK on May 31, 2021, 08:58:53 AM
I am an open-minded, but skeptical carnivore cooking some Beyond Meat for the very first time today (hamburgers and hot Italian sausage).  I'm not hoping for an identical-to-meat experience, but I am hoping for something delicious.  Fingers crossed.

Update:  Rather than post a detailed review, I'll just say that I wouldn't eat it again.  There is a smell that I couldn't enjoy.  :(

Hopefully this doesn't put you off the idea of vegetarian beef entirely.

I prefer Impossible burger by quite a bit for both texture and taste -- and have friends who don't like it at all, though I'm not totally sure but they might not have made it themselves.

jimilee

Quote from: midwayfair on May 31, 2021, 07:02:32 PM
Quote from: EBK on May 31, 2021, 08:58:53 AM

I prefer Impossible burger by quite a bit for both texture and taste -- and have friends who don't like it at all, though I'm not totally sure but they might not have made it themselves.
Same here. I prefer the impossible burger also. Quorn has some done offerings. They make good chicken nuggets and a ground beef substitute. I use it in tacos, spaghetti and lasagna.

EBK

Quote from: midwayfair on May 31, 2021, 07:02:32 PM

I do plan to try the Impossible Burger, even though the Beyond Meat was disappointing.  By the way, it was this video that made me want to try this stuff:
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber