News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Balance other hobbies?

Started by selfdestroyer, July 15, 2013, 04:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

That was a freshly shawn sheep. Another was behind it and thankfully changed it's mind. Which is quite surprising as they're usually bloody minded buggers.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jkokura

I laughed out loud when I saw the sheep.

I also expected there to be more drifting.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

juansolo

4WD on slicks on tarmac. Most of the time drifting is slower. There are odd moments in other stages and odd bits of handbrake use for some really tight corners. But mostly it just grips and goes.

RobA

Quote from: juansolo on July 30, 2013, 08:20:10 PM
... But mostly it just grips and goes.

It certainly looks like it! The acceleration is what makes it look mad. It's got to be totally intense actually physically in the car. Is that G's on the readout on the left?
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

juansolo

Yeah that's a G meter. The Juno can pull over 2G on the brakes and through corners. The Evo not quite so much but it does have massive traction and is very low geared so accelerates very quickly indeed, but tops out at around 120mph.

I got back from Germany yesterday, not sure I should post the vid for this one as it's a bit dull in comparison to the last two. This is another car that's massively low geared, not to mention I'm not exactly thrapping it for reasons below:

a) It was 37 degrees Celcius and I'm wearing Colin's fleece that's about 6 sizes too small (have to have covered arms and legs, though they can't see that I'm wearing shorts).
b) I'm quite a large man in a very small car. I do not fit in it very well at all. I can change gear or turn left, not both at the same time as my knee is in the way of the steering wheel when it's on the clutch. Removing my foot from under the clutch is not a quick process.
c) It's not my car and I really didn't want to break it.
d) I still have no f**king idea where the track goes.

As such you'll be seeing: interesting gear changes, random lines, bizarre wheel sawing, short shifting and cruising up the long fast bits (the car as well as the driver was getting VERY hot).

But it boils down to mainly being too fat for a Caterham these days.

Sadly that's probably it for the year now. Just got some odd jobs to sort on the Juno then that'll be put away.

jkokura

hahah... I totally recognized most of that course! I kept wondering why you wouldn't go faster, and I realized that it's totally different to race that track in a pretend GT class car vs real life in that littler Caterham.

Anyway, thanks a lot for sharing Juan, I enjoyed it at least.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

juansolo

Yeah, it's not quick to say the least. They reckon you need about 100 laps just to learn where it goes. I've done about 12...

chromesphere

Is parenting considered a hobby?  Please say yes..
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

GhostofJohnToad

Parenting is more of a full time gig.  This  from the father of 3 boys under 13.  Grand parenting I believe is a hobby however.

chromesphere

Quote from: GhostofJohnToad on August 06, 2013, 01:27:58 AM
Parenting is more of a full time gig.  This  from the father of 3 boys under 13.  Grand parenting I believe is a hobby however.

I've heard it gets easier as you have more kids? 

I cant even type that without laughing...

timbo_93631

Quote from: chromesphere on August 06, 2013, 02:18:30 AM
Quote from: GhostofJohnToad on August 06, 2013, 01:27:58 AM

I've heard it gets easier as you have more kids? 

I cant even type that without laughing...

Maybe that depends on how far apart they are?  I have three, a four year old son, a 2-and-a-half year old son, and an 8 month old baby girl.  They are spaced about 20 months apart and we found that 3 was more than twice as hard as 2 for the first few months, but as they get bigger it is getting easier.  Our 4 year old is really helpful most of the time now.  Seeing things are getting easier we are going to try for four God willing.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

davent

Having more then one, for me, is just totally incomprehensible, both my brother and sister have four, it is not a hobby!

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

chromesphere

I have a 14 month old.  For me personally, everything revolves around him.  If he's sick, bad mood, not eating properly, not sleeping properly etc etc, decides entirely on how much i can get done, whether it be pedals, house work, going to the toilet, or even one of my new favourite things to do, play with him on the rug infront of the tv!

I cant imagine having another one at this point.  Its not his fault.  Its my fault.  I'm too focused on hobbies!  I wouldnt replace him for anyting and we probably will have atleast one more because i think its not fair on him to grow up with no siblings.

I couldnt get my head around having 4 though... +1 respect right there.
Paul

drezdn

Supposedly, three is the most stressful. (We just had our third nearly a month ago, the others are 3 and 5)

aballen

Juan,  you are living my dream.  I used to own an 04 us spec STI.  I really miss that car.  I've always wanted to rally.

I do get to go karting with my kid every weekend though.  70 mph with no suspension and my butt 1/2 inch off the ground is pretty good though.  Some day Ill do some rally.