News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Quote from: EBK on February 29, 2020, 07:42:55 AM
I'm not the only one unable to access DIYSB today, right?

Presently gone again for me.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

EBK

Quote from: davent on March 03, 2020, 10:55:54 AM
Quote from: EBK on February 29, 2020, 07:42:55 AM
I'm not the only one unable to access DIYSB today, right?

Presently gone again for me.
dave
Yep. *Sigh*
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

thesmokingman

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 16, 2020, 01:06:09 PM
Quote from: thesmokingman on February 16, 2020, 12:33:06 PM
Granted I'm not going, but I can respect these guys getting a cash grab. They've more or less earned one.

You do realize that this band's whole identity has been anti-establishment, ant-Capitalism... right?

You respect them for doing something that goes against everything they have been preaching for 25+ years?
it's hard to be considered anti-establishment and anti-Capitalism when your net worth is north of 20 million dollars ... each.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

alanp

Quote from: thesmokingman on March 03, 2020, 04:33:56 PM
it's hard to be considered anti-establishment and anti-Capitalism when your net worth is north of 20 million dollars ... each.

That's what the marketing men get paid their money for 8)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Muadzin

Quote from: thesmokingman on March 03, 2020, 04:33:56 PM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 16, 2020, 01:06:09 PM
Quote from: thesmokingman on February 16, 2020, 12:33:06 PM
Granted I'm not going, but I can respect these guys getting a cash grab. They've more or less earned one.

You do realize that this band's whole identity has been anti-establishment, ant-Capitalism... right?

You respect them for doing something that goes against everything they have been preaching for 25+ years?

I think that is the trap of any successful progressive. You start out full of anger and piss and vinegar, and then gradually over time you become successful and gather wealth, how do you combine your new found wealth with your activism and not come across as a hypocrite? For starters I reckon it would help not to charge $300 per ticket, or at least not allow ticketmaster to charge $300 per ticket on your behalf. Nor engage in massive tax evasion while asking others to accept shitloads of 3rd world migrants and other costly things, *cough* Bono *cough*.

alanp

Quote from: Muadzin on March 04, 2020, 12:36:48 AM
Nor engage in massive tax evasion while asking others to accept shitloads of 3rd world migrants and other costly things, *cough* Bono *cough*.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/07/tax-bono-harming-world-poorest-glastonbury-avoidance-paradise-papers

U2 have always sounded preachy to me. It's only in the last decade that they started to sound decidedly holier-than-thou.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

America: an Old Fashioned: soak a sugar cube in Angostura Bitters, add ice, some bourbon, maybe some lemon peel if you're feeling fawncy.

Japan: that's it? No way is that it.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

thesmokingman

I got madder the more he messed with it ...
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Aleph Null

Quote from: alanp on March 04, 2020, 07:59:15 AM
America: an Old Fashioned: soak a sugar cube in Angostura Bitters, add ice, some bourbon, maybe some lemon peel if you're feeling fawncy.

Japan: that's it? No way is that it.

Looks more like a New Fangled than an Old Fashioned! He basically made the bitters fresh, right?

Muadzin

Quote from: alanp on March 04, 2020, 07:36:08 AM
Quote from: Muadzin on March 04, 2020, 12:36:48 AM
Nor engage in massive tax evasion while asking others to accept shitloads of 3rd world migrants and other costly things, *cough* Bono *cough*.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/07/tax-bono-harming-world-poorest-glastonbury-avoidance-paradise-papers

U2 have always sounded preachy to me. It's only in the last decade that they started to sound decidedly holier-than-thou.

You try listening to hundreds of U2 bootlegs and hear Bono preach about Africa. God, I love the music, but there were times that if you had given me a button to nuke Africa I would have pressed it. I wonder how the rest of the band cope with him. I reckon they must agree politically or the band would have broken up decades ago, but still, maybe they've managed to master the art of zen to tune Bono out until he gives the signal to proceed again. Or maybe they're like the Ramones. Where I think the singer was a bleading heart liberal and the guitar player a die hard Republican.

alanp

One American mentions it very, very briefly, but I think that Japanese bartending technique and approach comes straight from their traditional tea ceremony, as well as the general Japanese obsessive attention to the most minute details.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-51815537

Some nice pictures of the reconstruction of Notre Dame de Paris in this, it's good to see movement.

Also, you will notice several pictures that show wooden frameworks underneath the flying buttresses. As an interesting side-note, this was how the cathedral's stoneworks were probably constructed in the first place, using wooden frameworks to take the stresses and then, once the forces were in equilibrium, the frameworks would have been removed.

These tall cathedrals are a fascinating study in stresses, and how architects and stonemasons can direct them to create these buildings that rival skyscrapers, and were first made not long after the Viking Age. I mean, if you've ever been in a similar style of building, stand at the ground level, and look directly upwards, and appreciate that Notre Dame began construction in 1163 Anno Domini, finished in 1345, and was done entirely by hand.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

This video series is a wee bit deceptive... you think that it's a big piss-take, for a laugh, but the thing is... Thug Notes does have some very useful summaries and also analysis.

Kinda like Don Quixote :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on March 13, 2020, 08:24:28 AMThug Notes does have some very useful summaries and also analysis.

Kinda like Don Quixote :)

That was awesome.

It's my favorite novel, and some part of it lives in most novels that've been written since.

dawson

What on Earth?

I saw the odd-looking sarcophagus-style pedals and decided to dig a bit deeper into what this brand is/was doing..apparently making space-helmet and monster face-shaped TS-clones, and guitars out of magnesium for reasons unknown.

I'm not too savvy with chemistry- have any of you wizards out there got any idea why magnesium might be a desirable tonewood?
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.