News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cosmo Tremolo - stereo tap tempo with all the things

Started by midwayfair, January 12, 2014, 12:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

This might be the most complicated tremolo pedal ever ... Stereo Tap Tempo Tremolo based in part on the Cardinal using essentially every feature of the TAPLFO. I think the only pins I didn't use are the basic tempo LED and the "next multiplier." The stereo switching is kind of cool. I set it up so that it can run in mono (left channel only), left mono in > stereo out, left TRS in > stereo out, and dual mono in > stereo out. The only thing it doesn't do is sum stereo inputs to mono ... except it kinda does because I also added Harmonic and Vibe modes via a DPDT on/off/on switch (it's accomplished a little different than the Cardinal, but similar cutoff frequencies and it sounds pretty awesome), so you could have a different effect in the right channel and cross it over in the vibe mode. :o

There's also Expression pedal input selectable between the Rate and Multiplier (he wanted the multiplier instead of depth, otherwise I would have used a 3PDT toggle instead of a rotary ... the multiplier is a pain) and sync in/sync out.

The jacks are drilled in the back with exactly enough room to put seven normal right angle plugs next to each other, but something like George L's or straight plugs will fit much easier.

This was for a customer in Switzerland. I hope he's happy with it, it was a HUGE amount of work figuring out all the wiring and switching and I'm not keen on ever building another regardless of price. :p

p.s. I did fix the mistake in the waveform graphic. :P

jubal81

Holy Smokes. That's epic.  :o
And you perfed it ...

Hoping there's a demo forthcoming.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

GrindCustoms

Wow! Gotta hear that thing!  8)

Been working on something similar too, but based on the STM, great job John.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

midwayfair

Quote from: jubal81 on January 12, 2014, 12:34:23 PM
Hoping there's a demo forthcoming.

Sure, here's a clip. Direct to the Scarlett into GarageBand, sparkling clean for the amp (with the effects removed). Little bit of reverb. Don't really have time to do a video demo of this one.

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/jon-patton-3/cosmo-tremolo[/soundcloud]

Square Wave stereo > sine wave stereo > Vibe mono (slightly offset wave for some lope) > Harmonic stereo > Vibe stereo (surprisingly awesome) > Harmonic mono

Matt

Matt

jubal81

That sound is just stunning. Far and away best solid state tremolo I've ever heard. Seriously, Jon, that's a masterpiece.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

midwayfair

Quote from: jubal81 on January 12, 2014, 05:49:47 PM
That sound is just stunning. Far and away best solid state tremolo I've ever heard. Seriously, Jon, that's a masterpiece.

Thanks, Jason. :) It's four FETzer valves, so it does sound a little tubey! The channels are almost identical to the Cardinal's full-range band.

bcalla

rullywowr

That is simply just ridiculous...and on Vero too.  Nice work, Jon.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

hoodoo

This is a fantastic build that sounds as good as it looks mate. That middle bit, vibe mono? was mesmerising, you should go write a song with it on that setting right now  :)

lincolnic

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Tremster

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Cortexturizer

I love it! Haven't expected this amount of drilling from ya Jon haha but I guess it was worth it, awesome stuff, sounds spectacular!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams