News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help! Cave Dweller + Taptation only has one repeat!

Started by brand0nized, August 05, 2014, 11:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brand0nized

Please help, my friendly forumites!

I'm only getting one repeat out of my cave dweller with a taptation circuit! I'm using vero layouts for both of the circuits.

Here are pics of my boards. On both pics, top board is the Cave Dweller, bottom is the Taptation circuit:

So far, the ECHO knob controls how loud the single repeat is, all the other knobs don't do anything.

I've checked all my components and connections and all seems well.

Here are my voltages:

reg
I - 9.12
G - 0.00
O - 4.94

PT2399
1 - 4.93    9 - 2.43
2 - 2.46   10 - 2.47
3 - 0.00   11 - 2.46
4 - 0.00   12 - 2.47
5 - 3.25   13 - 2.48
6 - 2.45   14 - 2.47
7 - 0.58   15 - 2.47
8 - 0.69   16 - 2.47

Taptation
1 - 5.00    8 - 0.02
2 - 4.87    9 - 0.02
3 - 5.00   10 - 0.01
4 - 4.40   11 - 0.03
5 - 5.00   12 - 0.00
6 - 5.00   13 - 0.00
7 - 4.82   14 - 0.00

MCP41100
1 - 0.01   5 - 2.46
2 - 0.01   6 - 2.46
3 - 0.01   7 - 2.44
4 - 0.00   8 - 5.00

jimilee

Have you tried different 2399 chips? Those are flaky.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

blearyeyes

Look for bridging on your solder work.
There are some places that look like they could be shorting.
Hard to tell from the pictures.

brand0nized

Quote from: jimilee on August 05, 2014, 12:55:56 PM
Have you tried different 2399 chips? Those are flaky.

Yup, just tried that, same problem, but here's a clip of what's going on:
The right 3 pots on the bottom row are the cave dweller controls, going DWELL, ECHO, and TIME (from the taptation circuit). The second to the right trim pot is the modulation from the cave dwellers taptation, kind of hard to see since it's black on black

http://youtu.be/l8SXNUjmnDk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

brand0nized

jimilee

brand0nized

Thank you, sir, for you assistance! Gladly appreciated! Already smarter than me... Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

m-Kresol

Check the following:
on the pics showing the solder sides: the top board's first row (where the yellow wire connects)... There should be 3 trace cuts if I read everything correctly. The most left one looks a little too close for my liking. Take a DMM and check continuity across to make sure the trace cuts are not shorting.
Same thing on the taptation board. Since you did cut the traces instead of drilling like in the other board, make sure they are not conductively connected.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

brand0nized

Quote from: m-Kresol on August 06, 2014, 01:10:24 AM
Check the following:
on the pics showing the solder sides: the top board's first row (where the yellow wire connects)... There should be 3 trace cuts if I read everything correctly. The most left one looks a little too close for my liking. Take a DMM and check continuity across to make sure the trace cuts are not shorting.
Same thing on the taptation board. Since you did cut the traces instead of drilling like in the other board, make sure they are not conductively connected.

Thanks for your response. I've checked everything you mentioned.

1. There are 3 cuts there, I cut them instead of drilling them so it's hard to see. No shorting between them either.

2. Checked all cuts on the taptation board. No shorts, all rows that are connected with jumpers are good.

Any other ideas?

jimilee

Next check all of your components and run a blade between the rows and check all your soldering. You should probably use a magnifying glass for that. I've been building for over two years now, and screwed up the soldering on a build last week.

brand0nized

On it!

But can I measure capacitor values with my multimeter? My box caps aren't labeled.

jimilee

Quote from: brand0nized on August 07, 2014, 07:48:27 PM
On it!

But can I measure capacitor values with my multimeter? My box caps aren't labeled.
Yes but not in the circuit. The usually have markings on the top. I'd just go by that. I'd start with the resistors first though.

brand0nized

Just figured out how to read the labels on the top of the box caps, looks like I put it a 100n that's supposed to be 10n, will report back.

Although I did replace the taptation chip, to see if that would do anything, not my single repeat is gone, it's just nothing...

brand0nized

Reporting back.

I somehow created a short where there wasn't one before, so after fixing that, I got my one single repeat back, but we're just back at square one.

Also, I didn't notice any changes after changing the 100n to the 10n its supposed to be.

I'm starting to really not like my vero projects... After this, I'm sticking to fabricated PCBs...