News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy DLX problems

Started by Orbis_Ignis, April 12, 2016, 05:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orbis_Ignis

I just put together an Aquaboy DLX 2015. I get clean signal but no delay at all. My voltages seem good except for pin 8 on the MN3101 is only 0.5v. I did omit D3 since I'm using the new MN3005. So I'm getting the same voltage on C19. Does this sound right?

I'm going to post my other voltages in a minute. Just wanted to ask the first question

Martan

What voltage are you running it at?

Orbis_Ignis

Orbis_Ignis

Just realized I have the same voltage on pin 8 of both bbd's  :o

Scruffie

Voltages look okay at a glance to me (0.56V on Pin 8 of the 3101 is fine, Vgg is 14/15th Vdd so 8.47/15 = 0.56V) your bias on the 1st BBD is low though.

Haven't gone over your compander voltages in depth but they look reasonable, possibly a little low on the compressor output at pin 7.

Are you powering this with a battery? 8.6V for supply is a bit low.
Works at Lectric-FX

Orbis_Ignis

Quote from: Scruffie on April 12, 2016, 06:02:19 PM
Voltages look okay at a glance to me (0.56V on Pin 8 of the 3101 is fine, Vgg is 14/15th Vdd so 8.47/15 = 0.56V) your bias on the 1st BBD is low though.

Haven't gone over your compander voltages in depth but they look reasonable, possibly a little low on the compressor output at pin 7.

Are you powering this with a battery? 8.6V for supply is a bit low.

Using a power supply. I guess I could put on one of my adjustable plug and raise it to 12 volts. I just don't want to run it 15 volts since I don't have it regulated

midwayfair

Quote from: Scruffie on April 12, 2016, 06:02:19 PM8.6V for supply is a bit low.

One version of the board had a 10R power supply resistor. 40mA would drop .4V across 10R.

Op: Where's the signal disappear when you audio probe?

Scruffie

Quote from: midwayfair on April 12, 2016, 06:16:33 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on April 12, 2016, 06:02:19 PM8.6V for supply is a bit low.

One version of the board had a 10R power supply resistor. 40mA would drop .4V across 10R.

But a DM-2 only draws about 10mA, but I forgot this has an optical modulation section which would add more  :) Anyway, I was just ruling out a weak battery.

I also didn't check the transistor voltages, Q3&4 are not right.
Works at Lectric-FX

Orbis_Ignis

That's what's really weird. I seem to not get a clear signal anywhere. I've used my probe many times with success. I even built another one, but I can't even get a clear signal when I put it on the input jack. But I get clear bypass signal and clean signal with the delay on. It's really weird. I'm going to try to play with it some more tonight

Orbis_Ignis

Quote from: Scruffie on April 12, 2016, 06:22:10 PM

But a DM-2 only draws about 10mA, but I forgot this has an optical modulation section which would add more  :) Anyway, I was just ruling out a weak battery.

I also didn't check the transistor voltages, Q3&4 are not right.

I was wondering about those, since those pins don't go to ground. I have them socketed. I wonder if they aren't making a good connection. I'll reflow those once my baby boy goes to bed, lol

Martan

Also read the build doc again very carefully. There are a few subtle things in there, like leaving out D2 with your setup. Might not be related to your problem, but I spent an hour removing/swapping parts after I thought I was close to finished and went through the build doc again.

dannoceti

I had a similar problem when I built mine, and eventually realized I left a jumper out (C40). There are a few direction on the true bypass page I missed first time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orbis_Ignis

I had it buffer bypass at first and then switched it to true bypass thinking that it might help.

I just took out the socket on Q3 and solder it straight in. Still the same voltages on q3 and q4. Got 8.65, 0, 0 on both. Tried looking for solder bridges and don't see any

Edit: d2, d3, r58, r59 have been omitted. R27, r55, c40 have been jumpered

Orbis_Ignis

Did some trouble shooting. I got the audio probe going and getting signal on pin 7 of ic3. I'm getting audio on another pin but I can't remember which one.

I think my problem is with q3&4. I can't figure out why both get voltage in but nothing out. I reflowed all the solder in that area. I've switched out different transistors and nothing changes.

Any ideas?

Scruffie

Well you have 3.48V on IC4s outputs, find out where between that and Q3s base the voltage drops off.
Works at Lectric-FX