Anybody else in a slump right now?

Started by Leevibe, April 15, 2016, 04:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Its hard to get motivated when I have:

Battlefield One
Titan Fall 2
Call of Duty: IW

haha, Seems like all I have been doing is work and play games. But, I think a good bench/shop clean will get me more motivated. There has been some great new projects out there I want to try and a few I have not boxed yet.

On a side note, I did get to FINALLY play some guitar last night for about 30 minutes or so. Had a blast with my Jazzmaster and BS/SS Mini and spring reverb. I banged away at some chords in a Ty Segall kinda way and it was a blast!

Cody

Addy Bart

Ah... Jazzmaster, Mini and spring reverb... Great combo!

Leevibe

Quote from: flanagan0718 on November 10, 2016, 12:21:36 PM
Quote from: brucer on November 10, 2016, 11:43:02 AM
Quote from: bcalla on April 16, 2016, 06:42:37 AM
I have 4 in process.  Two need serious troubleshooting ...

Yep.  That's me.  Worse yet, my serious troubleshooting builds are a Total Recall and Current Lover.  Not sure where to go next with troubleshooting.  Collected data, pictures, etc. for Current Lover, posted plea for help, no joy.   :(

Yeah troubleshooting has been an issue lately for me too. Looking on the bright side I found that the LDRs on my twin peaks were backwards and my FV1 was backwards too. On the gloomy side I now have to desolder 2 FV1 chips.  :-[

Maybe I'll try cleaning my work bench and try setting up that benchtop cnc...

Cleaning the bench is always the first step for me. I have a bunch of boards to populate but I always get sidetracked by other projects.

-I'm still waiting on some metal to get formed for the multi I really want to work on.
-I think I'll be starting in on an amp project soon. This one is going to be amazing if I can pull it off.
-I did just finish up an epic Hammond organ project. That's the biggest thing that was keeping me away from new builds.

Seeing some of the recent build reports has been getting me in the right frame of mind. Plus, this is just somehow pedal building season for me. Not sure why. I'm at least going to stuff some boards.

Muadzin

I've not built anything except cables for months now that I'm working and playing with my Axe-FX. That thing can do so many things, it's scary. Before I built like 4 pedals a month and few or any of them ever made it to my pedal board. But there was always a chance some could make it. I was always on the lookout for something new and interesting. The slim chance that I would find something new and interesting was enough for to keep on building new things. Now that I have gone digital there's just no need to build anything so find myself just no longer caring to build pedals. Maybe those parts for a bass driver I've ordered might change things. I could use one for home recording so there's finally a need.

m-Kresol

I haven't built as much over the summer despite my state of unemployment, which is hopefully changing very soon. Anyhow, the HiFi amp took a lot of my time and still isn't finished due to missing parts. Everytime I think I have the last bits, something else is missing or wrong. Hopefully I'll get my small diameter shielded cable today, than it's all good to go for testing early next week with a buddy. While this is not a pedal-build obviously, I still consider it to be the same sort of hobby. My friends will probably not even realize there's a difference between amps and pedals ;) But I have been actually playing more guitar for a change.

And Lee, with your massive organ builds, you're definitely not in a slump either. I would consider this time well spent on something that you like and will enjoy after it's finished too.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

cloudscapes

I've been in a slump for a couple years.

Mainly because it's stressful. It should be fun, but I raise my personal bar too high. I have a habit of trying to out-do past builds to the point of "I'm not smart enough for this", and get extremely frustrated when it doesn't work properly. I'm an anxious type of person. Other aspects of my life have been stressful these last few years as well, so I'm like "forcing" myself to take it easy with the DIY.

Occasionally I start prototyping an idea, and then abandon it half-way through. Not sure why. I have a nearly finished new programmable vibrato that's been in an unfinished grey box for about 6 months. I used to be so enthusiastic when I was close to finishing a thing, couldn't wait to paint, etc. But I got stuck on the tap tempo and some of the way it handles knobs/controls that would switch function, and sort of shelved it.

5 years ago, I was like "I must spend all my time building!"

peAk

I haven't built anything for over six months.

I got some new synths and a new acoustic 12 string and that's been taking up free time.

Soon I will be starting another synth. Hopefully finish up some pedals too.

raulduke

I've not built any pedals for close to 6 months now.

Our 1st baby Alice has taken care of that  ;)

I've started getting into woodwork with the little time I do have.

My grand aim is to make her a rocking horse. I've made her a play tent and some shelves so far.

Start small, aim big as they say!

Leevibe

Quote from: cloudscapes on November 11, 2016, 06:11:49 AM
I've been in a slump for a couple years.

Mainly because it's stressful. It should be fun, but I raise my personal bar too high. I have a habit of trying to out-do past builds to the point of "I'm not smart enough for this", and get extremely frustrated when it doesn't work properly. I'm an anxious type of person. Other aspects of my life have been stressful these last few years as well, so I'm like "forcing" myself to take it easy with the DIY.

Occasionally I start prototyping an idea, and then abandon it half-way through. Not sure why. I have a nearly finished new programmable vibrato that's been in an unfinished grey box for about 6 months. I used to be so enthusiastic when I was close to finishing a thing, couldn't wait to paint, etc. But I got stuck on the tap tempo and some of the way it handles knobs/controls that would switch function, and sort of shelved it.

5 years ago, I was like "I must spend all my time building!"

Trying to outdo yourself with each new build sounds like tyranny. Have fun, my friend! I slip into that a bit too, but I'm learning to just let this thing be what it is. When I'm motivated to build, I'm going to build. The rest of the time I spend imagining what I want to do next. That's my downfall. I chase too many rabbit trails. Deadlines, self imposed or otherwise, are usually what it takes to get me to execute.

Still, I'm sick of pressuring myself just because I have a drawer full of PCBs or a bunch of uncompleted ideas. I don't have any customer builds right now, which actually feels good. I'm tired of building to spec. I just want to build what feels fun to build and let it be what it is. I have some fun builds in the works that I can't wait to share here. We'll see.

Quote from: raulduke on November 11, 2016, 08:35:13 AM
I've not built any pedals for close to 6 months now.

Our 1st baby Alice has taken care of that  ;)

I've started getting into woodwork with the little time I do have.

My grand aim is to make her a rocking horse. I've made her a play tent and some shelves so far.

Start small, aim big as they say!

I really hope to see this in DIY. You are in the best years of your life, man. Enjoy all of it.

raulduke

Cheers dude that is really kind.

I'll post the play-tent when done (I've made a little viking style tent frame).

My wife's sorting the fabric out for it so it should be a nice family project.

The rocking horse is way off yet. The ultimate end game would be to build a guitar.... but I'm realistic in my expectations  ;) ;D

daleykd

Quote from: selfdestroyer on November 10, 2016, 12:56:53 PM

Battlefield One
Titan Fall 2

haha, Seems like all I have been doing is work and play games.

Are you console or PC?  I can't stop playing Overwatch.  I've been tempted to try BF1, but I've always preferred modern warfare to historical.  CoD:IW looks interesting, but I'm tired of playing against 10 year olds with fouler mouths than me.

At least I can still beat up kids in OW.

cloudscapes

Quote from: daleykd on November 11, 2016, 09:17:19 AM

I played that a lot of that after release for about 2-2.5 months. Even got okay at it, level 50-ish on the rank thing they introduced a bit later. Then put that away 'cause I started playing dota again for a small league/tournament at my workplace for a few months. Only enough room in my brain for a single highly competitive game at any given moment.

Maybe I'll start OW again next month.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: daleykd on November 11, 2016, 09:17:19 AM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on November 10, 2016, 12:56:53 PM

Battlefield One
Titan Fall 2

haha, Seems like all I have been doing is work and play games.

Are you console or PC?  I can't stop playing Overwatch.  I've been tempted to try BF1, but I've always preferred modern warfare to historical.  CoD:IW looks interesting, but I'm tired of playing against 10 year olds with fouler mouths than me.

PS4 for me. I got tired of upgrading my PC every year to keep a stable 60fps on new games.. Back to consoles for me.

Cody

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

davent

Cooking and photo's have kinda taken over that 'need-to-create-something' corner of my brain. I get obsessed with something and ride the wave until it crashes on the beach then it's falling into the next dark alluring rabbit hole.

Time to start dinner...

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?