News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anybody else in a slump right now?

Started by Leevibe, April 15, 2016, 11:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesmokingman

I wish it was hobbies that has me in a slump ... I shall adapt and overcome.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

neandrewthal

Ive been in a slump in my career for years and now my Fiancee who built half of my pedals walked out on me with no warning(partially because of my career slump).

The pedals and DIY parts are the first thing I packed up for the upcoming move (cant afford this place by myself) and will probably be the last to be unpacked when I get set up all alone.

I have no interest in any hobbies, for one because this is a real eye opener that I need to get my shit together and for two, because we did everything together, there is nothing I can do by myself without missing her. 

Quote from: thesmokingman on November 13, 2016, 10:42:05 PM
I wish it was hobbies that has me in a slump ... I shall adapt and overcome.

What is it then?

m-Kresol

sorry to hear that. Hang in there, you'll find new hobbies and will get back to pedal building if you want to. I recently started to boulder/climb. Really great sport.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

peAk

I sometimes wonder what the average lifespan is of a pedal builder.

I think if you are just a pedal builder (not a circuit designer), that after a few years at this stuff, you have probably built most of what you wanted and things can start to get redundant.

That said, most of you guys branch out to other stuff and that keeps things interesting.

juansolo

I think I'd have hung it up at the beginning of the year had we not started dicking around with circuits more.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Govmnt_Lacky

I find the key to keeping this hobby interesting is to challenge yourself. If you are building the same OD, Distortion, Phaser, etc. each and every day... you get burnt out. Take on a challenge. Go outside the box and follow it through until its complete. Personally, I have ZERO items in my box of fail. This is only because I follow through until completed.
My biggest challenge is funding my hobby. It can get expensive! I typically sell pedals to keep the hobby going. However, as with the hobby itself, it can get deflating. I am sure many on here can agree that selling your creations can be upsetting. When you put $150 and 6 or 7 hours into something and someone offers you $40 for it... it hurts!

My advice: Try taking on a larg-ish project that is outside your comfort zone. Get challenged, learn something new. It will revitalize your interests  ;)

juansolo

I know we're incredibly lucky in that we're self funding. It's a necessary evil, and yeah, it pains me sometimes when I see our pedals changing hands for bugger all money. But, if it means we can build more stuff, I just let it slide.

But yes, you definitely need goals if you want to keep things interesting. I had the same issues with 'real' work as my job was continually cut into smaller and smaller segments so the could farm it out to less skilled (cheaper) workers abroad. Leaving me with a completely unchallenging, routine, boring job. I'm just not wired in a way that I can put up with that for long.

raulduke

There is usually something that comes along that piques my interest and gets me back into the hobby.

The availability of mn3005 chips again makes me want to build another analogue delay.

I still Think that the spin fv1 could get offer interesting stuff for diyers (and I still keep tinkering with this with the spare time I have).

I think integrating guitar pedals with modular/eurorack kit might be the next 'big thing'

The Euro rack bubble hasn't burst. More and more people are getting into it.

I'd see it as a logical step that guitar pedals will start to become more integrated with that world.

I have absolutely no interest in Building the next klon or tgp flavour of the month anymore though.

raulduke

There is usually something that comes along that piques my interest and gets me back into the hobby.

The availability of mn3005 chips again makes me want to build another analogue delay.

I still Think that the spin fv1 could get offer interesting stuff for diyers (and I still keep tinkering with this with the spare time I have).

I think integrating guitar pedals with modular/eurorack kit might be the next 'big thing'

I'd see it as a logical step that guitar pedals will start to become more integrated with that world.

I have absolutely no interest in Building the next klon or tgp flavour of the month anymore though.

peAk

Quote from: raulduke on November 16, 2016, 09:45:02 AM

I agree with this 100%

and with your other post right after  ;)

raulduke

Oops sorry...that's me and my new iphone (bloody thing)  ;D

GermanCdn

I haven't built in over a year now, but that's not due to lack of interest, it's more to do with not having the proper space to setup in.  Have to finish the basement before I can setup a proper build area, and that's still about three priorities down on the to do list and most likely another year-ish out.  Will have to re-learn pot orientation and how to solder :o

That being said, I've gone through a number of building slumps since I started in 2011.  They pass.  New projects come along that get you interested, new combinations of pedals drive you to try and fix everything you need in one box.  Key is not to get hung up on it and let it come back to you.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

flanagan0718

Quote from: GermanCdn on November 16, 2016, 08:58:31 PM
I Will have to re-learn pot orientation and how to solder :o

I have to do that along with LED anode and cathode every time I sit down at my bench.

alanp

My pet peeve with LEDs (and vactrols, for that matter) is the positive marking. Positive? Diodes have an anode, and a cathode. Depending on the application, either one may connect to the higher potential.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Quote from: alanp on November 17, 2016, 01:48:08 AM
My pet peeve with LEDs (and vactrols, for that matter) is the positive marking. Positive? Diodes have an anode, and a cathode. Depending on the application, either one may connect to the higher potential.

Man, with you 100% on this.