News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD - PRS

Started by madbean, December 15, 2016, 01:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Well, I sold 5 guitars and 2 basses in the last 13 months so I figured I was due for a NGD. I had been eyeing a Vela for quite a while but I had a chance to play an S2 Standard at NAMM this year and liked it a lot. I found this one used at a good price and it was cheaper than a used Vela. Plus, satin finish which is my preference. So, a pretty good win. Just two very minor nicks in the body otherwise it appears fairly mint.

Good - Finish is great for me. Not everyone likes the McCarty style finish or the satin feel but I dig them. And a minimally finished neck is always superior to gloss, IMO. The fretwork is outstanding...the edges are smoother than anything else I currently own. Nut is also smooth and rolled over. Weighs 7lbs, so it's light. The pickups are very interesting. I had low expectations on coil tapping but through my rig the single coil and buckers both sound great. Rich and full. Not magic, but certainly on par with this price range. The neck carve feels really good, too...I can understand why ppl comment on PRS necks.

Needs work - I doubt this was the factory setup because the strings are quite high. Relief looks about right so hopefully I can just lower the saddles a bit without too much buzz. Interestingly, even with high action it is very very playable up to the 15th. Gets pretty high after that. But, this is nothing unusual with a used instrument.

Sorry for the mess of a bookshelf my wife and I share in the pic. Too cold to go outside for a decent picture.

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

sonnyboy27

That looks awesome. I love PRS necks. They feel really comfortable. The satin look is great on that one.

jimilee

Oh wow, that beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Leevibe

Congrats! She's a beaut

diablochris6

Very nice aesthetic to that guitar. Congrats.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jubal81

Now that's gorgeous. Played one at Dave's last year and really wanted to take it home. Congrats, bud!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Adam_DIY

Sweet that's one of the nicer s2s I've seen.  I desperately want a vela but I've not had the cash anytime one has been available.

culturejam

Very nice!

PRS is on my list to try out (and by that I mean buy one and play it for several months). I actually really liked the SE Zach Myeres sig that was in our NAMM booth. Pretty cheap and a very nice player (and sounded great unplugged as well).

I'll probably end up going the S2 route as well. I don't want to spend Core money, but I'm a headstock snob (finally just started admitting it), so S2 makes the most sense. Also, the S2 line seems to not have very many of the "spinnin rims" finishes that both SE and Core sport. I've avoided man PRS guitars in the past because they looked like Bill Murray's bowling ball in King Pins.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jubal81

Quote from: culturejam on December 16, 2016, 12:31:02 PM
Very nice!

PRS is on my list to try out (and by that I mean buy one and play it for several months). I actually really liked the SE Zach Myeres sig that was in our NAMM booth. Pretty cheap and a very nice player (and sounded great unplugged as well).

I'll probably end up going the S2 route as well. I don't want to spend Core money, but I'm a headstock snob (finally just started admitting it), so S2 makes the most sense. Also, the S2 line seems to not have very many of the "spinnin rims" finishes that both SE and Core sport. I've avoided man PRS guitars in the past because they looked like Bill Murray's bowling ball in King Pins.  ;D

Now that's how you analogy ...

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

Jabulani Jonny

...but I'm a headstock snob (finally just started admitting it)

You have put words to what I've been feeling for years.  I almost don't care how good the guitar is if the headstock looks like crap.  Like those James Tyler guitars...they may be great, but no thanks. 
Jonathan

culturejam

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on December 17, 2016, 05:40:10 AM
You have put words to what I've been feeling for years.  I almost don't care how good the guitar is if the headstock looks like crap.  Like those James Tyler guitars...they may be great, but no thanks.

Well, that too. But I also care what the name is on the headstock. I don't care how nice any given model is, I won't own an Epiphone. For some reason, I don't mind Squier or G&L Tribute. But Epiphone is a no-go for me. I know that's really dumb, but I can't help it.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on December 18, 2016, 06:23:55 AM

Well, that too. But I also care what the name is on the headstock. I don't care how nice any given model is, I won't own an Epiphone. For some reason, I don't mind Squier or G&L Tribute. But Epiphone is a no-go for me. I know that's really dumb, but I can't help it.

Apparently you're not the only one.  They changed the 2017 SE line

Function f(x)

pickdropper

...but I'm a headstock snob (finally just started admitting it)

Yeah, I don't get the Tyler guitars headstock.  Ouch.

For somewhat silly reasons, the Heritage headstock puts me off as well, even though they make really nice guitars.  I've often felt I should get over it and get one from my local dealer, but haven't done it.  I've always wondered why they've stuck with the headstock shape when so many people complain about it; they could probably sell more guitars if they changed it.
Function f(x)