News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what are you guys listening to at the moment?

Started by the3secondrule, August 25, 2011, 06:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Quote from: Timko on May 24, 2017, 07:57:26 AM
I'm 35, but was lucky to get introduced to music in the early 90's.  I grew up as an grunge kid, and listened to a lot of the great alternative bands of that era.  But somehow, I never really listened to Dinosaur Jr.  I was able to see them live in Omaha in a tiny club a couple of months ago.  1.  It's the loudest show I have ever been to; if you ever see a rig rundown from J. Mascis, all of those amps are really on, whether it's at an outdoor festival or a 500 person club.  2.  The guitar chops, the killer bass, the hard hitting drumming; it's like the perfect storm for me.  The the crazy thing is that since they've gotten back together, all of the music they're recording is top notch. 

So here's to happily finding a band I missed in my youth.

I stopped listening to commercial radio in the early '90's so i'm still discovering a lot of music from the 'dark years' that i really enjoy and am adding to my collection. It was commercial radio/dj's i hated back then and still do, and not the music, commercial radio just ruined it for me.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Timko

Quote from: davent on May 24, 2017, 09:19:19 AM
Quote from: Timko on May 24, 2017, 07:57:26 AM
I'm 35, but was lucky to get introduced to music in the early 90's.  I grew up as an grunge kid, and listened to a lot of the great alternative bands of that era.  But somehow, I never really listened to Dinosaur Jr.  I was able to see them live in Omaha in a tiny club a couple of months ago.  1.  It's the loudest show I have ever been to; if you ever see a rig rundown from J. Mascis, all of those amps are really on, whether it's at an outdoor festival or a 500 person club.  2.  The guitar chops, the killer bass, the hard hitting drumming; it's like the perfect storm for me.  The the crazy thing is that since they've gotten back together, all of the music they're recording is top notch. 

So here's to happily finding a band I missed in my youth.

I stopped listening to commercial radio in the early '90's so i'm still discovering a lot of music from the 'dark years' that i really enjoy and am adding to my collection. It was commercial radio/dj's i hated back then and still do, and not the music, commercial radio just ruined it for me.

dave

I'm fortunate to have a public music radio station in Kansas City that I listen to, volunteer for, and donate to.  They play phenomenal music, and have phenomenal djs curating their playlist.

http://bridge909.org/

alanp

There's a really good station in my town now (Brian FM), I try to keep the radio at work tuned into it. Very good variety (Pink Floyd, Metallica, ACDC, Creedence, some of the teenybopper stuff, all sorts), and no advertising other than the station stings. I can put up with the odd tween-bubblegum song if I know that something good like Flock Of Seagulls is probably next.

Unfortunately, the supervisor has funny ideas sometimes about having a variety of radio stations playing.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

flanagan0718

m-Kresol

Quote from: flanagan0718 on May 26, 2017, 07:12:08 AM
Perfection

Caspian is one of my favourite bands. Just intriguing how all the parts and layers of instrumentation fuse together to give an amazing musical experience. Also one hell of a live band. I'm so glad that they come to Austria regularly. Also they hooked me up to my favourite austrian band called "Lehnen". Mike, the latest two albums of them could be right up your alley ("sounds over ice and wave", "I see your shadow")
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

flanagan0718

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Mahesh

Motherjane. give it a listen..

from India with love...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdeymyNcTZY

somnif

Over Fathers day I helped my Mom transfer a bunch of her old vinyls to CD (real hack job, but good enough for a car CD player). So if anyone is interested in the early 70s Los Angeles Irish/Celtic Folk scene, I got the hook up!

Aleph Null

Quote from: somnif on June 28, 2017, 04:34:06 AM
Over Fathers day I helped my Mom transfer a bunch of her old vinyls to CD (real hack job, but good enough for a car CD player). So if anyone is interested in the early 70s Los Angeles Irish/Celtic Folk scene, I got the hook up!

FTP  link?

somnif

Quote from: Aleph Null on June 28, 2017, 07:40:46 AM
FTP  link?

I don't have an FTP handy, but give me a little bit, I'll see what I can figure out

Aleph Null

Quote from: somnif on June 28, 2017, 02:16:19 PM
I don't have an FTP handy, but give me a little bit, I'll see what I can figure out

No worries. I used to follow a few Celtic bands, so I have a passing interest.

flanagan0718