News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what are you guys listening to at the moment?

Started by the3secondrule, August 25, 2011, 01:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesmokingman

that would have been me re: fanny ... I mine the gold that is beat club, old grey whistle test, top of the pops, midnight special, etc regularly

the oddball one I came across here lately was big head todd covering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJAsOGizkfU
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

davent

Cold wet and dark evenings so onto neglected jobs to be done inside again such as cleaning/listening/exploring the vinyl shelves.

First Bowie album i ever bought, Young Americans, The Temptations bought at a local record's vinyl's dead fire sale in the '90, he closed in March 2020 with a last vinyl fire sale, 40 years in business announced in january he'd be closing his store & retiring in March, impeccable timing. Sonny Rollins i'm pretty sure gifted years ago from my jazz loving vinyl loving best friend.

And ya gotta play something to help keep your focus on the job at hand.

A celebration of our times...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq7rALRVvFE

David Sanborn on sax.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9QR5p7uok0
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

flanagan0718

I am a MASSIVE Deftones fan and can't say enough good things about the new album (even though Steph uses a 9 string guitar). It's a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Link below. Name of the album is "Ohms"
-Mike-

//[url="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxA687tYuMWhi3UBi74hh6-_8OjaKNXYV"]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxA687tYuMWhi3UBi74hh6-_8OjaKNXYV [\URL]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alanp

I need to go and watch Taxi Driver this weekend, now.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

madbean

I kinda forgot about this band for a long time but remembered this tune recently. It's just about the heaviest thing in the world. I remember having heard nothing like it in, what, 1989?

[youtube width=640]gOc0-3s1DNg[/youtube]

davent

Quote from: madbean on October 15, 2020, 12:04:21 AM
I kinda forgot about this band for a long time but remembered this tune recently. It's just about the heaviest thing in the world. I remember having heard nothing like it in, what, 1989?

[youtube width=640]gOc0-3s1DNg[/youtube]

Nice cover of Astronomy Domine on there, yup '89.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Was out of inner sleeves for my record cleaning journey ordered a 100 more but added a couple things to reach free shippping, one lp left me ~ $1 short, so it goes.

dave

matmosphere

Quote from: davent on October 19, 2020, 11:29:37 PM
Was out of inner sleeves for my record cleaning journey ordered a 100 more but added a couple things to reach free shippping, one lp left me ~ $1 short, so it goes.

dave

I saw them do that record in it's entirety a couple years back. I'm not generally into the reunion/nostalgia thing but it was a great show. They seemed to genuinely be enjoying themselves.

davent

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 19, 2020, 11:48:49 PM
Quote from: davent on October 19, 2020, 11:29:37 PM

dave

I saw them do that record in it's entirety a couple years back. I'm not generally into the reunion/nostalgia thing but it was a great show. They seemed to genuinely be enjoying themselves.

Sounds cool, i wouldn't look on it as a nostalgia act, that'd about trying to relive/recapture the glory years which i don't think they ever really had in the sixties. From what i understand didn't tour much, lots of conflict, a tour now is just making up for lost time.

Must confess i haven't ever heard the album before but have exposure to other of their songs from various comps. The cover art was what initially caught may eye some time back as it reminded me of Miles Davis' Amandla which came decades later.
dave

davent

Record cleaning and listening...

Chased this 1976 SNL Patti Smith performance all over the internet for years... pardon the 14sec commercial before it begins, no idea how to get the video to embed.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6885155

Thirty one years on, bye, bye, bye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsKwqr2SKwo
dave

thesmokingman

Jerry Jeff Walker's Viva Terlingua album ... the loss is real for us fans of outlaw country
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-anHFFVsAI
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Thewintersoldier

Lately I've been listening to Noel Gallagher and his high flying birds, black pumas, deep sea diver and chicano batman.
Who the hell is Bucky?

EBK

Fifteen or so years ago, I heard a song on an indie rock radio station called WOXY 97X (in the movie Rainman, the title character repeated the station's catchphrase "97X Bam! The Future of Rock and Roll" over and over). The song was "The Coast" by a band called Cartel.  At some point, the band had to change their name because someone else had the name first, and eventually both the band and the radio station I heard them on ceased to exist.  The only memory left in a small part of my brain was that I really liked the song, but I couldn't remember what it sounded like anymore.  Funny how time can erase all traces of things if you let it.  Well, recently, I purchased the EP (Safety in Numbers) that had the song I remembered very little about from a used CD seller on Amazon for $2 plus shipping.  I'm quite happy that I did.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

Quote from: EBK on October 28, 2020, 03:01:13 PM
Fifteen or so years ago, I heard a song on an indie rock radio station called WOXY 97X (in the movie Rainman, the title character repeated the station's catchphrase "97X Bam! The Future of Rock and Roll" over and over). The song was "The Coast" by a band called Cartel.  At some point, the band had to change their name because someone else had the name first, and eventually both the band and the radio station I heard them on ceased to exist.  The only memory left in a small part of my brain was that I really liked the song, but I couldn't remember what it sounded like anymore.  Funny how time can erase all traces of things if you let it.  Well, recently, I purchased the EP (Safety in Numbers) that had the song I remembered very little about from a used CD seller on Amazon for $2 plus shipping.  I'm quite happy that I did.

WOXY!! I was on the edge of there broadcast signal so I used to drive a little south of town and listen to it in the car. It was hands down the best radio station I've ever listened to, heard so much good music for the first time there.

I've been listening to this album lately. Just turned 20 years old the other day. Great songwriter, simple songs that are very powerful. Live the singer is equal parts Bowie and James Brown. If you like lofi stuff, or Songs Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co. then definitely give it a spin.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lK26im1v7bTRqPUc8bJAQtsTecJsVhbok

EBK

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 28, 2020, 03:22:06 PM
WOXY!! I was on the edge of there broadcast signal so I used to drive a little south of town and listen to it in the car. It was hands down the best radio station I've ever listened to, heard so much good music for the first time there.
I never got to hear them as an over-the-air radio wave.  I only discovered the station after it switched to bitcasting a mpeg stream on the web.  Sadly, laws got changed to prevent bitcasters from operating under the rules of radio stations, and the resulting massive copyright licensing fees destroyed them all. 
I definitely discovered bands I would not have otherwise through them, The Decemberists and The Mountain Goats to name a couple.  Also, Kaiser Chiefs, and probably others I will think of later.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber