News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ibanez Super Metal SM-9

Started by Aentons, December 25, 2018, 06:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

I have an 80's SM9 Ibanez version and am curious about everyone's thoughts on it's inner workings with all the gyrators and such. I think it sounds really good but it seems to be one of those misunderstood pedals because of the complex obscure eq. Also, It only dips below unity gain when the eq controls are dimed. It's not an overly loud pedal but I get a boost at most settings. Everybody loves pays a lot of money for the Boss HM-2 and it seems to be fairly similar circuit.

I don't have any experience with the Maxon reissue or the new mini pedal but I have read that they are a different circuit.

I haven't been able to find any pcb's for it out there... Why no diy love?

Edit:
From https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=35451.0
"The Per Cederholm SM9 schematic contains errors (around the punch control. It took me 3 hours to find out why that control did not work. (it's the connection to the + input of that opamp)"

Space Monkey

The 10K resistor leading to the 10K volume pot forms a voltage divider. You could jumper the 10k resistor and change the pot to a 20K for increased volume with the same response.

Rockhorst

I think that this...
Quote from: Aentons on December 25, 2018, 06:23:38 PM
Everybody loves the Boss HM-2 and it seems to be fairly similar circuit.
...is a controversial statement at best ;)

I DO love the records that the thing was/is used on, but that's not in the pedal that's in the songs.

Aentons

Quote from: Rockhorst on December 27, 2018, 03:54:05 PM
I think that this...
Quote from: Aentons on December 25, 2018, 06:23:38 PM
Everybody loves the Boss HM-2 and it seems to be fairly similar circuit.
...is a controversial statement at best ;)

I DO love the records that the thing was/is used on, but that's not in the pedal that's in the songs.

Statement corrected...

Also, to clarify... I don't think they sound the same, I was just commenting on the similarities of the circuit. The SM9 is much more of a JCM800 Marshall in a box type thing that has a lot of the character and sparkle of a tubescreamer.

Rockhorst

The tone control is interesting for sure. And it's nice to see Ibanez/Maxon used a buffered output on the pedal. It definitely has a few things going for it looking at the schematic. I also saw Maxon has a 4-knob metal distortion that seems a derivative of this thing (called the SM-9 Pro +).

I might whip up a PCB in the coming week if there's any interest in it, how about that :) Let me know below

Aentons

Quote from: Rockhorst on December 28, 2018, 09:11:15 AM
I also saw Maxon has a 4-knob metal distortion that seems a derivative of this thing (called the SM-9 Pro +).
Yep, that's the reissue that I was referring to above. I haven't seen a schematic for it, but to my ears it sounds like a fairly different pedal. The new Ibanez mini pedal sounds much closer but still slightly different.

I might whip up a PCB in the coming week if there's any interest in it, how about that :) Let me know below
Count me in!

I'm not sure where I pulled that schematic from and I can't vouch for it's accuracy. I thought I had the Ibanez service manual but I can't seem to find it at the moment... I'll see if I can dig it up. BTW, It has been stated elsewhere that the Ibanez SML and MS10 are the same circuit.

Scruffie

The actual drive section is less like an HM-2 and a li'l bit more like a Shredmaster with frequency shaping up front.
Works at Lectric-FX

Aentons

It had been a while so I decided to open it up and have a look... behold

Aentons

Here is a MS10 Metal Charger schematic that someone drew. The internet says it's likely the same as the SML and at least very close to the SM9.

Edit: supposedly this schematic does not contain the errors that the Cederholm sm9 schematic has

Aentons

I think everybody was on break, so... bump

Rockhorst

Well mostly I've been swamped with work for the day job and will be so until mid February. Any spare time goes into staying sane, taking care of my kiddo and (hopefully) finalizing some new Nucleon projects that where supposed to come out past November. But this is still on my radar :) I'm actually more curious about that 4 knob Maxon. From the demos I've heard it seems a bit more my cup of tea. Might buy one to attempt a trace.

Rockhorst

Tiny update: I've bought a second hand Maxon 4-knobber for some real life testing. Will keep you posted :)

mojah63

The SML , SM9 is not the same as a Metal Charger it has a transistor output buffer. It is the same as a SM7 and there's a schematic http://www.freeinfosociety.com/media.php?id=4071  I know it's an old topic but some people do search like me. ;)

Aentons

Quote from: Rockhorst on January 28, 2019, 01:53:09 PM
Tiny update: I've bought a second hand Maxon 4-knobber for some real life testing. Will keep you posted :)

Now that the Sandstorm (SD-9) project has been released (and ordered), it reminded me of this.

I'm curious if you have explored your 4 knobber enough to enlighten us as to the differences between it and the old 5 knobber?

Aentons

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9005&start=20

Interesting, from the pics above it looks like the SM9 has the disguised black band LEDs for D1 and D3 as well. I'll have to see if they light up.