News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Shaving

Started by alanp, January 15, 2019, 08:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Picked up a straight razor -- Razor Emporium's "Try" kit. (You can't go too far wrong for $70USD, I reckon, and while it's a cheap-ass Chinese Gold Dollar razor, their in-house technician-sharpener gives it the treatment and a new handle.)

There was blood. I did the part under my nose, and cleaning up the edges, with my normal safety razor.

But that has to be the smoooooothest I've felt my cheeks since before puberty. Real smooth. And, to be fair, there was some amount of blood on a daily basis when I was learning how to use my safety razor. Might have to continue with this.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Good luck Alan, how much extra time do you need to get the job done? Do you have the gear to maintain, resharpen the blade edge?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Leevibe

Quote from: davent on January 18, 2021, 08:34:27 AM
Good luck Alan, how much extra time do you need to get the job done? Do you have the gear to maintain, resharpen the blade edge?
dave

Yeah. I think you just acquired a new hobby. Sharpening, honing, polishing. Still, pretty dang cool.

alanp

I'm still at the point where I'm working on hand-eye coordination, but it seems to be coming together.

The plan at the moment is to find someone who sharpens these semi-professionally and pay them to do it. I can strop mine okay... so far... I think...
- Terry Pratchett
My website

davent

Quote from: alanp on January 18, 2021, 08:13:13 PM
I'm still at the point where I'm working on hand-eye coordination, but it seems to be coming together.

The plan at the moment is to find someone who sharpens these semi-professionally and pay them to do it. I can strop mine okay... so far... I think...

Almost a month in now Alan, how are skills developing confidence building on this adventure? Had to resharpen yet?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

I've gotten to the point where I can shave my whole face with it (as opposed to doing the tricky bits with my old safety razor), but not to the point where I never get any blood.

Picked up a nice Thiers-Issard Coiffeur 37 razor!
- Terry Pratchett
My website