Author Topic: Dead End FX Hooke Reverb  (Read 2363 times)

jjjimi84

• Electron Doctor
  • Dan
    • View Profile
Dead End FX Hooke Reverb
« on: October 14, 2020, 08:18:58 AM »
Here it is, the Hooke Reverb! I was looking into making a spring tank driver and then this board was announced and made my life a lot simpler. It is a cool build and went together really smoothly, albeit waiting for parts in the covid era. This video is actually the latest video I shot and am still working out the kinks with the talking head audio, I have eight others like this ready and in the meantime am switching to large diaphragm condensers to hopefully get better talking audio. Since this is Halloween month I will be putting out a video/build report every week that is Halloween themed, the following two weeks are going to be some fuzzy times.

&feature=youtu.be

dan.schumaker

• Electron Doctor
  • Schu-Tone
    • View Profile
    • Schu-Tone
Re: Dead End FX Hooke Reverb
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 08:42:03 AM »
Sounds awesome!  I love mine, amazing reverb (but like you said, the box is huge :) ).  I want to learn to make professional looking videos like that, you did a great job on it (and your boy did too!)

jjjimi84

• Electron Doctor
  • Dan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 11:45:08 AM »
Sounds awesome!  I love mine, amazing reverb (but like you said, the box is huge :) ).  I want to learn to make professional looking videos like that, you did a great job on it (and your boy did too!)

Thank You! We had the opportunity of spending a lot of time together with a covid lockdown, he will be in a bunch more videos as he loves the camera.

For the videos I was unsure if I was going to enjoy doing this so I have the worlds cheapest set up. I use my iPhone 7 as the pedal cam and a ten year old digital camcorder as my main camera. I bought a light set up from amazon for fifty bucks and film everything in my office. My audio setup is more expensive because I have been recording for a long time. Currently I have been using a Cascade fathead into a seventh circle audio preamp to a compressor to a focusrite interface.

For this demo, I wrote the guitar parts and recorded the drums bass and scratch guitars and then get behind the camera with my amp micd up to film. Then i reposition the camera for the taking head part, everything gets dumped to my computer, audio gets mixed and mastered and then everything is cut together using resolve.

It is a time consuming process but I really enjoy it, well mainly the writing songs and recording. If you get started and need help, I would gladly do my best to help. Too bad I gave away my lone wolf/beef pedal, i would have filmed the song I wrote with it.

danfrank

• Solder Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 12:00:43 PM »
Thanks for the build report, I've wanted to make one of these for a while now. DEFX has reasonable prices for their boards but when ordering multiple boards from the USA (they're in Canada) the shipping gets outrageous very quickly. Too bad because I love their projects.

BTW, I LOVE the enclosure design and drawings!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 12:05:36 PM by danfrank »

jjjimi84

• Electron Doctor
  • Dan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 11:18:53 AM »
Thanks for the build report, I've wanted to make one of these for a while now. DEFX has reasonable prices for their boards but when ordering multiple boards from the USA (they're in Canada) the shipping gets outrageous very quickly. Too bad because I love their projects.

BTW, I LOVE the enclosure design and drawings!

Thank you very much! I want to say mine shipped out of California, I could be wrong though.

PMowdes2

• Stompbox Star
  • DeadEndFX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 02:35:59 PM »
No it definitely shipped out of Canada 😁
DeadEndFX

jjjimi84

• Electron Doctor
  • Dan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 02:51:26 PM »
Yeah i have no idea what i was thinking. I actually went back in my emails to find the reciept.

cooder

• Electron Doctor
  • Stephan Nelson / New Zealand / Aotearoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 02:52:27 PM »
Excellent! Love me some sprng reverb and the video is great!
BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

• Electron Doctor
  • Dan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 03:06:56 PM »
Excellent! Love me some sprng reverb and the video is great!

Thank you very much!

Thewintersoldier

• Electron Doctor
  • Chris
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 08:04:48 AM »
This is excellent all around Dan. The pedal  looks and sounds great, and the video shows what a great reverb it is. Tasty playing too! I primarily use it like the outboard tube reverb I used to have. I run mine into the front end of my tungsten buckwheat for surf, rockabilly and west coast blues type of tones.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »
Great build and a fun demo! Thanks for sharing it, pedal sounds awesome.

Leevibe

• Electron Doctor
  • Lee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 10:59:11 AM »
Rad pedal and I really enjoyed seeing you with your son. That's the absolute coolest. Great video!

jjjimi84

• Electron Doctor
  • Dan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 03:49:20 PM »
Thank you all very much! It is a great pedal and I highly recommend it.

Rad pedal and I really enjoyed seeing you with your son. That's the absolute coolest. Great video!

My son loves filming with me and will be a constant figure on my channel, he contributes vocals to next Wednesdays video and in a month he makes a pop up appearance during my Aion Astra video. He has to be apart of it, he is the one who makes the suggestions for a lot of the pedal graphics.

tcpoint

• Solder Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 01:12:44 PM »
I think I'm sold.  Gonna have to order a pcb.

jjjimi84

• Electron Doctor
  • Dan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 03:37:19 PM »
I think I'm sold.  Gonna have to order a pcb.

Thanks for watching and you will not regret it!