News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dead End FX Hooke Reverb

Started by jjjimi84, October 14, 2020, 07:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjimi84

Here it is, the Hooke Reverb! I was looking into making a spring tank driver and then this board was announced and made my life a lot simpler. It is a cool build and went together really smoothly, albeit waiting for parts in the covid era. This video is actually the latest video I shot and am still working out the kinks with the talking head audio, I have eight others like this ready and in the meantime am switching to large diaphragm condensers to hopefully get better talking audio. Since this is Halloween month I will be putting out a video/build report every week that is Halloween themed, the following two weeks are going to be some fuzzy times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdbXgfz1EsM&feature=youtu.be

dan.schumaker

Sounds awesome!  I love mine, amazing reverb (but like you said, the box is huge :) ).  I want to learn to make professional looking videos like that, you did a great job on it (and your boy did too!)

jjjimi84

Quote from: dan.schumaker on October 14, 2020, 07:42:03 AM
Sounds awesome!  I love mine, amazing reverb (but like you said, the box is huge :) ).  I want to learn to make professional looking videos like that, you did a great job on it (and your boy did too!)

Thank You! We had the opportunity of spending a lot of time together with a covid lockdown, he will be in a bunch more videos as he loves the camera.

For the videos I was unsure if I was going to enjoy doing this so I have the worlds cheapest set up. I use my iPhone 7 as the pedal cam and a ten year old digital camcorder as my main camera. I bought a light set up from amazon for fifty bucks and film everything in my office. My audio setup is more expensive because I have been recording for a long time. Currently I have been using a Cascade fathead into a seventh circle audio preamp to a compressor to a focusrite interface.

For this demo, I wrote the guitar parts and recorded the drums bass and scratch guitars and then get behind the camera with my amp micd up to film. Then i reposition the camera for the taking head part, everything gets dumped to my computer, audio gets mixed and mastered and then everything is cut together using resolve.

It is a time consuming process but I really enjoy it, well mainly the writing songs and recording. If you get started and need help, I would gladly do my best to help. Too bad I gave away my lone wolf/beef pedal, i would have filmed the song I wrote with it.

danfrank

Thanks for the build report, I've wanted to make one of these for a while now. DEFX has reasonable prices for their boards but when ordering multiple boards from the USA (they're in Canada) the shipping gets outrageous very quickly. Too bad because I love their projects.

BTW, I LOVE the enclosure design and drawings!

jjjimi84

Quote from: danfrank on October 14, 2020, 11:00:43 AM
Thanks for the build report, I've wanted to make one of these for a while now. DEFX has reasonable prices for their boards but when ordering multiple boards from the USA (they're in Canada) the shipping gets outrageous very quickly. Too bad because I love their projects.

BTW, I LOVE the enclosure design and drawings!

Thank you very much! I want to say mine shipped out of California, I could be wrong though.

PMowdes2

No it definitely shipped out of Canada 😁
DeadEndFX

jjjimi84

Yeah i have no idea what i was thinking. I actually went back in my emails to find the reciept.

cooder

Excellent! Love me some sprng reverb and the video is great!
BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

Quote from: cooder on October 15, 2020, 01:52:27 PM
Excellent! Love me some sprng reverb and the video is great!

Thank you very much!

Thewintersoldier

This is excellent all around Dan. The pedal  looks and sounds great, and the video shows what a great reverb it is. Tasty playing too! I primarily use it like the outboard tube reverb I used to have. I run mine into the front end of my tungsten buckwheat for surf, rockabilly and west coast blues type of tones.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

Great build and a fun demo! Thanks for sharing it, pedal sounds awesome.

Leevibe

Rad pedal and I really enjoyed seeing you with your son. That's the absolute coolest. Great video!

jjjimi84

Thank you all very much! It is a great pedal and I highly recommend it.

Quote from: Leevibe on October 17, 2020, 09:59:11 AM
Rad pedal and I really enjoyed seeing you with your son. That's the absolute coolest. Great video!

My son loves filming with me and will be a constant figure on my channel, he contributes vocals to next Wednesdays video and in a month he makes a pop up appearance during my Aion Astra video. He has to be apart of it, he is the one who makes the suggestions for a lot of the pedal graphics.

tcpoint

I think I'm sold.  Gonna have to order a pcb.

jjjimi84

Quote from: tcpoint on October 21, 2020, 12:12:44 PM
I think I'm sold.  Gonna have to order a pcb.

Thanks for watching and you will not regret it!