Whetstone kits

Started by Drew Hallenbeck, February 10, 2021, 07:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: DLW on March 10, 2021, 06:32:47 PM
Quote from: drezdn on March 10, 2021, 03:36:45 PM
Did anyone else pick up any of the other "kits?"

Yep - Whetstone, Fix'd Fuzz Deluxe, Cadvernous Reverb, and Crystal Dagger

The cadavernous reverb looks pretty cool.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

DLW

Quote from: jimilee on March 10, 2021, 07:01:31 PM

Kyle (Blackout Effectors) only had two Cadvernous kits. Drew bought the other and traced the circuit. I don't want to make any promises on his behalf, but it seems that if not boards, a schematic at least will be available to DIYers.

jimilee

Quote from: DLW on March 11, 2021, 04:07:30 AM

Kyle (Blackout Effectors) only had two Cadvernous kits. Drew bought the other and traced the circuit. I don't want to make any promises on his behalf, but it seems that if not boards, a schematic at least will be available to DIYers.
I saw someone said he only had 2. I raced over to eBay and, of course, they were gone. Is that an FV-1 pedal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

DLW

Quote from: jimilee on March 11, 2021, 04:30:12 AM

I saw someone said he only had 2. I raced over to eBay and, of course, they were gone. Is that an FV-1 pedal?

Belton BTDR-3H

jimilee

Quote from: DLW on March 11, 2021, 04:53:29 AM
Quote from: jimilee on March 11, 2021, 04:30:12 AM

Belton BTDR-3H
Nice, let's hope for some tracing then!

Drew Hallenbeck

I have indeed traced the Cadavernous!
I drew up two versions of the schematic. One with the original DIP switch arrangement for the expression pedal and another simplified version without it. The switches Kyle used have a unique pole arrangement and cost about $5 each!
I did two PCB layouts and ordered them last week. One will be a simple version without any extra jacks and will fit in a 1590BB. The other one is for use in a 1590XX and does away with the internal DIP switches and will have two expression pedal jacks instead. It'll also have an extra jack for using a remote switch for the "swell" function.
I started a thread in the "member projects" section and I'll be posting updates there!
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

jimilee

Quote from: Drew Hallenbeck on March 11, 2021, 05:26:44 AM
I have indeed traced the Cadavernous!
I drew up two versions of the schematic. One with the original DIP switch arrangement for the expression pedal and another simplified version without it. The switches Kyle used have a unique pole arrangement and cost about $5 each!
I did two PCB layouts and ordered them last week. One will be a simple version without any extra jacks and will fit in a 1590BB. The other one is for use in a 1590XX and does away with the internal DIP switches and will have two expression pedal jacks instead. It'll also have an extra jack for using a remote switch for the "swell" function.
I started a thread in the "member projects" section and I'll be posting updates there!
Nice

thesmokingman

so I noticed a pad for dry out/stereo ... anyone hook that up and try it?
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

jimilee

Quote from: thesmokingman on March 11, 2021, 07:10:12 AM
so I noticed a pad for dry out/stereo ... anyone hook that up and try it?
I saw that, I was wondering if the enclosure had a place for it, I didn't look yet. I'm waiting on the switch multi selector and I'll see what it does once I get it built .

peAk

I did pick up an extra Whetstone kit that I can sell. I am giving LaceSensor first dibs though since he wanted one.

Does anyone have a ballpark of what something like that would cost sending overseas?

jimilee

Well, here's mine. I did learn that slanting the board back so the nuts fit on the toggle switches causes a major problem with the pots. I think they don't look too bad counter sunk as long as they're all done that was. I have some either caps for the toggles that should enhance the look.

I assumed the wire origami was a must, since it seemed to be a trend, so I tried my hand at it.

culturejam

Quote from: peAk on March 12, 2021, 10:53:46 AM
Does anyone have a ballpark of what something like that would cost sending overseas?

Probably about $25. Sending a single pedal from Function f(x) to someone in the UK usually runs between $22 and $26.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

rockola

Quote from: culturejam on March 13, 2021, 06:48:53 PM
Quote from: peAk on March 12, 2021, 10:53:46 AM

Probably about $25. Sending a single pedal from Function f(x) to someone in the UK usually runs between $22 and $26.
Going to pick up my kit at the post office later today, postage was $28.25.

Not including the 2.95 EUR (+ 24% VAT) that Finland Post wants me to pay for the privilege of picking it up, of course. A little bit of protection money here and there, soon it all adds up.

PapaKev

Quote from: jimilee on March 13, 2021, 06:20:54 PM
Well, here's mine. I did learn that slanting the board back so the nuts fit on the toggle switches causes a major problem with the pots. I think they don't look too bad counter sunk as long as they're all done that was. I have some either caps for the toggles that should enhance the look.

I assumed the wire origami was a must, since it seemed to be a trend, so I tried my hand at it.

I like it. Nice job! I ordered the wrong pots, didn't get the long pin version. Completely missed that on the one that was sent.

jimilee

Quote from: PapaKev on March 14, 2021, 07:49:51 AM
Quote from: jimilee on March 13, 2021, 06:20:54 PM

I like it. Nice job! I ordered the wrong pots, didn't get the long pin version. Completely missed that on the one that was sent.
Doh!! I recently started using the pin pots rather than the solder lug pots. PCBs have come a long way in the last 10 years. Layouts are a little more uniform now.