News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hey, a new store is coming! Give your input.

Started by madbean, April 11, 2021, 01:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Quote from: jimilee on April 12, 2021, 01:11:39 PM
I don't like when I click to buy something, it opens another tab. I like the little box that comes up on some pages, or if it would just add it to my cart, I can click on my cart when I'm done.

Yes, that's exactly how it will work.

Quote from: EBK on April 12, 2021, 01:25:32 PM
I'd like to see a somewhat hidden link to a super secret section of the store where we can buy things like scrapped prototypes and boards with errors and anything else sold as-is, no warranty.  You know, save the planet, one man's junk is another man's treasure, etc.  ;)

There will be hidden links most likely, but probably for silly stupid things.

benny_profane

I second the idea of a 'sample sale' section for unused prototypes. If you've got boards just taking up space, seems like a cool idea to free up stock space and maybe find some cool gems.

aion

madbean

Quote from: aion on April 13, 2021, 01:32:28 PM
Very cool! You going the Wordpress route?

Yeah. WooCommerce using DIVI to build the theme. The wife uses Divi on a lot of her sites so she should be able to help when I need it. There are just so many settings and procedures to know it's a bit overwhelming.

zombiesonore

Quote- (Infrequent) newsletters to announce releases or milestones via email, etc.
I would like that. One per month max is the good amount.
I don't look at the forum very often now but I would like to still be aware of what's going on at your shop.
Especially when you do limited offers, etc.
I don't use fasebook and all the others...

Aleph Null

Quote from: madbean on April 12, 2021, 03:48:33 PM

Everything on one page is nice, especially with the easily accessible documentation. It might be nice to be able to filter by type, but you tend to keep a fairly curated stock of projects. It's not like you're offering hundreds of overdrives, which would make it much harder to find something.

Feral Feline

Quote from: madbean on April 12, 2021, 03:48:33 PM

I like silly stupid things.

I also like things that work. Right now, the store works very well IMO.

I just bought all the Bass series and had some other stuff in the cart, the cart didn't "time-out" like some other PCB suppliers, and I was able to continue shopping after doing more research on what I wanted to add to the cart. BIG PLUS HERE! A cart that doesn't expire. Thank you.

I like the current MadBean products page as is.
Personally, I hate the new AION layout. It used to be more like MadBean, a nice big long list. Search for Aion PCBs and all you get is the new 1590N1 stuff, none of the legacy smaller 1590B boards, which for some builds I prefer. The 1590B is there, but not if you click on the filter "PCB".

When you get to the point that not everything will fit on one page, make it 2 pages, NOT an endless scroll like fecalbrook and other websites have adopted — please for the love of sanity. Having 10 items per page selectable to 20, 50 or ALL is good.

So paradoxically I like everything on one page, but hate endless scroll-sites!

One thing to improve (or I'm doing it wrong):
Adding items to the cart one at a time could be improved by adding multiple items. When I bought the Bass Series, I could've just bulk-selected all four items, but instead as soon as I clicked on one item I was taken to the PayPal interface. Not really a big deal, because the order system takes you right back to where you were, unlike some other online stores. I'm nitpicking.

What I can't seem to get my head around is the Forum. I lurked for a long time, I've started posting, but I still can't seem to navigate around the MB forum as easily as TalkBass or PedalPCB.

And despite sitting on watch all of February waiting for it, I still missed out on the RustBucket, I must've been in the loo or something when that dropped. Please make more!

Some day I'll figure out a way to keep my posts to a paragraph. Today is not that day.

harryklippton

Quote from: Feral Feline on April 20, 2021, 02:11:00 AM

What I can't seem to get my head around is the Forum. I lurked for a long time, I've started posting, but I still can't seem to navigate around the MB forum as easily as TalkBass or PedalPCB.

I do all my navigating from the recent posts page. That might be helpful: https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?action=recent

And despite sitting on watch all of February waiting for it, I still missed out on the RustBucket, I must've been in the loo or something when that dropped. Please make more!

Brian mentioned somewhere here this week that he hasn't been able to source the included bipolar power supply component for some time. I'd also like to give the rustbucket a go and have been waiting for it to come back in stock.

Feral Feline

Quote from: harryklippton on April 20, 2021, 02:44:23 AM

I do all my navigating from the recent posts page. That might be helpful: https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?action=recent

Brian mentioned somewhere here this week that he hasn't been able to source the included bipolar power supply component for some time. I'd also like to give the rustbucket a go and have been waiting for it to come back in stock.

Thanks Harry!

redkurn

When it comes to the build docs, really good pics of the project board populated and how you have routed wiring would be great.
My first couple of more difficult projects would have went easier with at very least a good top down fully populated board, especially when I was ordering so I could compare the part to yours and be sure I got the right one, which I usually did except for that one or three times I bought the wrong thing. 😂

I like the way the store is now, but if you were to maybe use a dropdown box or links to page anchors for different type of pedal that would save some scrolling time.
If you're doing a complete change, I'd say definitely keep the downloadable files available like they are now at the least.

As for the login, I am assuming if it has a cart capability the webstore would be using PHP, if that's the case you can change the login variables to use the forum login as well or the session variable.
I used to build websites before it became unlikely to make a living doing so, trade you web development lessons for pedal design lessons (how to choose parts) 😁

jubal81

Quote from: StevenMorgan on July 22, 2021, 02:36:47 PM
Very often, people misunderstand some info they read online. Shopify dropshipping is an online marketing strategy that enables small businesses to quickly set up a store on Shopify without any programming knowledge and start selling within 48 hours. The advantages are that you control your store's design and content, and you can take orders from your customers instantly, with few restrictions. Once the order has been fulfilled, the shopkeeper will ship your product to your customer's address provided on the order form.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair