News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Small bear retiring

Started by fair.child, September 22, 2021, 12:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fair.child

As the title says... who's going to continue the journey?

matmosphere

Very much a bummer, definitely the end of an era. I can't imagine how much the market has changed during their time. It sounds like Steve is just ready to move on. I hope them all the best.

cooder

Pedal DIY wouldn't be the same without tem, so many thanks for the years of dedication and help!
All the best wishes for their retirement!

I have read in the grapevine that Jon Cusack is talking to them, so hopefully he picks up the batton. Another fab dude!
BigNoise Amplification

harryklippton

Literally where will I get good knobs now? Small Bear was always my first stop for parts

dont-tase-me-bro

Hopefully he sells it instead of just going away.  They provide a great service
I thought this would save me money.

midwayfair

Quote from: cooder on September 22, 2021, 02:54:29 PM
I have read in the grapevine that Jon Cusack is talking to them, so hopefully he picks up the batton. Another fab dude!

I guess I haven't seen him in a movie in a while, this explains why.

gordo

Small Bear has been my enabler thru this crazy journey.  This is really sad.  Steve has done a ton for the community.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

Steve was kind enough to call me last week to let me know. I was tempted to say something here but decided it would be better to wait. I cannot say enough about smallbear and what an incredible resource it has been for me and for all of you. There probably would be no madbeanpedals if smallbear hadn't existed. It's a retirement wholly deserved. Still, I has a sad.

With luck some of our other favorite suppliers will step in and fill the very large gap that's coming. Best of luck to Steve and the smallbear gang!

Stomptown

Man, what bittersweet news.  I'm very sad for the DIY community but happy for Steve.  It will definitely be interesting to see how this unfolds.

peAk

Invertiguy

Man, this is a huge bummer. Small Bear was always my first stop for obscure ICs, obsolete transistors, LDRs, all sorts of pots, and pretty much anything else you can't find at Mouser or Digikey. While Steve has certainly earned his retirement, I can't help but wonder who (if anyone) is going to take his place. Hopefully someone buys the business and continues it and we aren't left at the mercy of fake Ebay chips and Reverb scalpers charging $50 for a v3207.
Doomsday Devices

culturejam

Quote from: midwayfair on September 22, 2021, 04:17:02 PM

TWO DOLLARS!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

fair.child

I really wonder who's going to pass the baton for smallbear.

Should be BLMS? Merge with Smallbear? Or PPP/Smallbear

At least we still have Tayda

A lot of good switches came from Smallbear, especially for my VFE builds

Also, enclosures. If Steve is done, I hope at least someone continues the business

glops

Man, the world is really ending. I am completed gutted by this news. I love small bear so much and going to miss that site, been shopping there for over 10 years now. I really can't live without that wire or those thin stomp washers and it was the only place I bought pots. Super depressing, what a shit year...

matmosphere

Quote from: culturejam on September 22, 2021, 08:20:36 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on September 22, 2021, 04:17:02 PM

TWO DOLLARS!

Perhaps one of the finest films ever made!