News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wolfshirt - Build Report

Started by gtr2, November 22, 2010, 03:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

Sounds pretty wicked!  The enclosure layout is a little unconventional and proved to be a challenge.  Enclosure is transparent red from PPP.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

masterlk

Very cool man! Where do you get those green caps? Those are sweet. How do you get that tiny LED to stay put on the top? Nice build.

eniacmike

incredible! everything looks awesome. I love the resistors, caps, electrolytics, layout is super tight. great job.

gtr2

Quote from: masterlk on November 22, 2010, 04:16:10 AM
Very cool man! Where do you get those green caps? Those are sweet. How do you get that tiny LED to stay put on the top? Nice build.

I got the elec caps at mouser.

data sheet: http://products.nichicon.co.jp/en/pdf/XJA043/e-es.pdf

Mouser part #   647-UES1V100MEM

The small led lead is mounted to the dpdt switch,  it took a little trial and error but the mount is more stable than some of the pcb mounts I've done.

I also had to use some additional washers for the pots because I didn't like how the knobs were sticking out from the enclosure.  I could have cut the shafts shorter, but I would have had to pull everything out and re case.

The only thing I'm not happy about are the x's in the font i used.  It was stamped and you really couldn't tell until it was to late.  It's permanent stanzon ink.

I might give a try on my first demo...we'll see.  I know Mike did one for this with a bass (his wolfshirt build inspired mine btw) but I don't think anyone did one for guitar.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Lighter fluid removes Stazon ink.

+1 on the caps...what's the brand?

I really like the unusual layout.

mjcyates

gtr2

Link to elec caps added in previous post.  The 47uF is pretty big but I got it to fit, it wouldn't have in a 1590B.

Will lighter fluid eat the powdercoat?
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

I've used it on powder coat without problems. It's Acetone that eats finishes.

If you are unsure, try rubbing a small little bit into the bottom plate first. The LF will clear the ink, although there may be a small ink impression left (not noticeable a few inches away).

I do use LF to polish my finishes sometimes....it works well, and removes gunk.

jkokura

Really nice look on this one. I like the layout, because you could mount it sideways on a pedalboard, OR you can mount it vertically. Both ways work, it's really useful that way.

I use Rubbing Alcohol instead of Acetone or lighter Fluid. You can get it at the drug store, it's also called denatured alcohol. I think it comes in 75% and 99% concentrations where I am, and I usually get the 'good' stuff.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

k.rock!

Dude! This pedal is absolutely fantastic! Definitely one of my favorites...I love everything about it, the finish, the cool layout, the lettering (which I must say I even like the big Xs, which you might have fixed by now :) ), the green caps and even those resistors which look like delicious little hot dogs haha

I'm very intrigued about the toggle switch deal...So you are able to use one switch or the other? How does it work? if you don't mind me asking...

Thanks!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

gtr2

Thanks Kaleb,

The switch is to add the octave effect.  It's really apparent at the 12th fret and above.  You can get some cool nintendo like sounds as well.  ;D

The pedal still has the same lettering with the big x's.  I was to lazy to go back and fix it I guess.  ;)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

k.rock!

Nice! I'm not too informed on the Wolfshirt project so I was unaware about the octave switch. I think I got that impression after reading Jacob's post. That would be a very cool idea though. If you could put a switch like that on the top so that you could switch the effect on/off if it's sideways or just stomp it when laying flat  :P
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jkokura

Something interesting about this circuit is that there's a significant cut in sound when you switch the octave effect on and off. It's not often built with that function on a stomp because people generally don't like the sound break. It's better to have it on a toggle, at least as most people have built it.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

this pedal looks great. You did a really clean job! i really like the layout inside and how you placed the knobs. I'm sure this is a ripping fuzz! Looks almost like the original except the slight variation with the switch and knobs ;D

I'm thinking about searching for some nice velvet to make mine.  8)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

pandadandan

They're Nichicon caps.

I use the fancy gold versions in most of my pedals for corksniffer audiophile bragging rights or something.  My Poindexter build is loaded with them.

Be careful of the top-of-the-range Nichicons as they're huuuuuuge.  A 100uf cap is about 300mm tall!