News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Moon Angel

Started by pickdropper, November 10, 2012, 02:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

The text is basically a repost of what I put at BYOC.  Sorry for the laziness, but I would've basically written the same thing anyway.

A while back, I decided that it would be cool to have a 2 in 1 pedal that had CJ's wonderful Shoot the Moon with Rick's cool Little Angel Chorus.

I threw together a PCB that was itself a 2 in 1.  The top side is the Little Angel Birthday Edition.  The bottom side is the Shoot the Moon Trem.  Build one, build the other, or build both.  Lots of options.  It's all SMT except the LED/LDR.

I designed the PCB so that it would fit in a 1590A.  I knew that it would be a bit of a challenge stuffing it all in.  Turns out I was right.  While putting this together, it was even more challenging than I thought.  I had to use more wire than I had planned, because some lengths had to be longer to accomodate them being stuffed in in a certain order.  But what really made it difficult was the 3PDT toggle.  The toggle sits on top of two 9mm pots, so I mounted it as low as possible and it still brought the board up higher than I'd like.  But (after many hours) I was able to wire everything up, and it is a 2-in-1 pedal where both the Chorus and Trem are true bypass, you just have to use the 3PDT toggle for the Chorus.

Here it is from another angle so that you can see the control labels.

And of course, the guts.  No shot of the underside, but I can take the next board I populate if people are interested.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimmybjj

Craziness!!!!! So good!
Pcbs no longer available

Ettore_M

Holy cow!  :o Dude, that's just crazy!
The guts are unreal! Out of this world!  :o The enclosure colour and labelling are awesome too! ;D
Well done!

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

Om_Audio

Oh gat dam that's cool!! Smd allowing a circuit on each side, cool! Why don't you use smaller pots/knobs? I have a FT Distortion Pro that uses small ones for some of them, wonder if it would make it any easier?
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

pickdropper

Quote from: Om_Audio on November 10, 2012, 02:41:17 PM
Oh gat dam that's cool!! Smd allowing a circuit on each side, cool! Why don't you use smaller pots/knobs? I have a FT Distortion Pro that uses small ones for some of them, wonder if it would make it any easier?
C

I used the 9mm pots, which are the smallest that I have.  You might be onto something with finding smaller pots.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jkokura

Dave... you're blowing my mind.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

tagwap

That is stunningly professional. The etched enclosure looks amazing and I think 6 knobs and a switch is a record for 1590A.

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

sgmezei

Obscene dude. Great job!

alanp

That is dead cool. I've had the thought knocking around my head of pcb mounted 9mm pots in a 1590A, along with mounted jacks, maybe the stomp as well but I don't think life is that tidy.

The LED's positioning right in the middle of the stars is also a nice touch!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

icecycle66

Some times you make me reconsider whether or not "hammer space" actually exists.

fendman

What else can you say...Dave that is really class 8)

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

monkeyssj1

jkokura

Quote from: monkeyssj1 on November 10, 2012, 05:08:52 PM
Jesus

Is a friend of mine?

(Couldn't resist. Sorry Dave)

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations