Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Moon Angel

Started by pickdropper, November 10, 2012, 02:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: pickdropper on January 05, 2013, 08:37:25 PM
Quote from: jimilee on January 05, 2013, 07:23:44 PM
I just want to see a tiny pedal board with tiny pedals. That'd just be awesome.

I've been working on one for a while now.  I've got enough 1590A builds done, so I need to get around to finishing the board.

I've found the problem with the existing solutions from companies like Pedaltrain, is that the depth is really still designed for larger pedals, so I am going to do one from scratch.
That's the only way to fly these days.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on January 05, 2013, 09:31:49 PM

I've been working on one for a while now.  I've got enough 1590A builds done, so I need to get around to finishing the board.

I've found the problem with the existing solutions from companies like Pedaltrain, is that the depth is really still designed for larger pedals, so I am going to do one from scratch.

I actually like the Pedaltrain stuff and I think it is priced fairly.  I have a bigger one that I use and like quite a bit.  It just doesn't work for the smaller stuff.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Quote from: pickdropper on January 05, 2013, 09:39:23 PM
Quote from: jimilee on January 05, 2013, 09:31:49 PM

I like the look of the custom stuff like salvage customs and fresh pedal boards.my buddy built me a custom one one similar to a salvage custom.

I actually like the Pedaltrain stuff and I think it is priced fairly.  I have a bigger one that I use and like quite a bit.  It just doesn't work for the smaller stuff.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

I have 4 pedaltrain boards.

PT2, PTJr, PT-Mini, PT-Nano.

I've said this before, you don't save any room with a 1590a with side mounted jacks compared to a 125B with top mounted jacks... Maybe vertically, but like you've noticed, you don't really use up less pedal board space.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

Quote from: jkokura on January 05, 2013, 11:21:39 PM
I have 4 pedaltrain boards.

PT2, PTJr, PT-Mini, PT-Nano.

I've said this before, you don't save any room with a 1590a with side mounted jacks compared to a 125B with top mounted jacks... Maybe vertically, but like you've noticed, you don't really use up less pedal board space.

Jacob

With a pedaltrain you don't if you orient them vertically.  You can save some space mixing between horizontal and vertical, but who wants to do that?  The main problem with 1590a and Pedaltrain is the depth of the pedal board.  I have a PT2 and a PT mini.  The Mini in particular is interesting as it is considerably deeper than a 125B.  1590a enclosures swim in it.

The pedalboard I am making for will definitely be smaller as it will be sized specifically for 1590a.  I agree that it is only moderately advantageous compared to a 125B with top-mounted jacks, but it is a bit smaller and loads of fun.

Now 1590b make the least sense to me, so I rarely build with them.
Function f(x)

jkokura

Quote from: pickdropper on January 05, 2013, 11:30:09 PM
The Mini in particular is interesting as it is considerably deeper than a 125B.  1590a enclosures swim in it.
Now 1590b make the least sense to me, so I rarely build with them.

Both points are correct, but the mini does one thing with top mounted jacks - protect the plugs. If you use top mounted jacks (as I do), the patch cables 'hang' off the back end of the pedalboard. On a Mini, that's no problem as it actually protects those jacks from being interfered with because of the back lip.

The real problem I find with mini's is that the location or the switch makes the pedal itself unstable. I find they want to tip up towards me, often because I switch pedals on with my heel on the ground and my toe tilted towards my shin, so that doesn't make for good 1590a use, because there isn't enough bottom surface to attach to the pedalboard securely enough to keep it from tipping, or wanting to at least.

A 1590b makes no sense to me either. My first debacle, which was actually my first attempts, at building pedals was to order a bunch from Smallbear to go with some PCBs from Tonepad. I totally thought I'd be able to get two jacks AND a little metal DC jack in the top side of those 1590bs. I made a complete mess by trying to drill them out by hand with full size bits (after making 1/8" pilot holes only), which were of course just marked by pencil (no indent from a nail punch to rest the bit in, so they walked). And then the DC jacks ended up grounding on the enclosure (metal DC Jacks)... Then the PCBs didn't work, so the BYOC kits were ordered, I got those built up, and fell in love with the 125Bs.

The end, sorry for the derail. Yay for other people liking 1590as!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

No problem on the derail.  Frankly, it was interesting to hear a different perspective (some points I hadn't heard before).
Function f(x)