News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cut Vinyl Label interest?

Started by mandrewbot3k, December 12, 2012, 10:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandrewbot3k

I started thinking about how my wife's craft cutter cuts adhesive backed vinyl for my pedals. Then I started thinking it would be best if I cut a bunch of labels at once. The cost of the vinyl isnt too much, but if I were to start making some precut sheets in various colors, would there be any interest in these?

I could provide in sheets of different common pot controls, level, gain, etc...
or if Brian was ok with it, I could go through and find what labels are needed for what pedals and provide them that way. This would be a very low cost item and would be limited to my availability. I'm talking probably be a couple bucks shipped in a first class envelope, but I'll have to calc it all out when i start getting the vinyl.

I'll try to cut some samples this weekend to show what can be done and to gauge interest. I'd also probably make myself available to do some custom ones for pedal names, or even multicolor designs if that was something people would like. Typically I can work with any TrueType font (and I have a lot). The detail of the font would restrict what sizes I could cut them out at. I can also trace stuff that are vector graphics relatively easily as well, but that takes more effort and therefore would cost more.

Another option is that of precut water slide decals. I can print them on inkjet sheets of waterslide, in full  color (except white) and have them cut out accurately around the printed images. This wouldnt be very practical for pot labels and such, but if you had a highly detailed image you wanted the edges cut really clean on I could do that. Not sure if this is a very practical item though.

I dunno, let me know what you think. I'm hoping to label some of my pedals this weekend, so I can show em off. For those interested in the machine I'd be using, its a craft silhouette cameo. It's a really cool machine and can be had for around $200.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

mandrewbot3k

And I apologize to Brian if this is post was against forum rules. I'm not trying to make any money here, just share the equipment I already have at home.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

pk1802

I would be interested in Pot labels, depending on the price of course. Do you usually clearcoat over the labels, or just stick them and leave them over the paint?

The really important question for me that I would ask is, can you do white or cream labels?

hammerheadmusicman

Or clear?

And would you do them to order? I.e a non bean build..

Thanks

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

2tonewarrior

mandrewbot3k

To be honest I havent done any yet, was planning on it this weekend, but have seen some folks that do it with good success. The 'premium' vinyl is supposed to be sun and weather resistant, so whether youd need to clear coat it is up to you I'd suspect. Another option is to simply use the vinyl cutouts as a mask for painting. You could actually transfer the letters and the background with it, then strip the letters from it, and spray on top of a powder coated box.

Available colors from silhouette are:
Black, White , Brown, Dark Red, Dark Pink, Leaf green, Silver, Turquoise, Straberry, Sand, Blue, Navy, Orange, Pink, Frosted glass, gold, purple.

As for clear, maybe the frosted glass would work, but i've never used it.

There is also some chalkboard vinyl i could size for various boxes so you can just write on them yourself, make marks for settings, etc...

I would be able to make any labels you wanted, but they would depend on my availability.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

jkokura

I think I'd like to see some pedals with finished examples of what you're describing.

Oh, and Sun and Weather proof is not the same as wildly inaccurately stomping guitarist who abuses gear proof...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

mandrewbot3k

Quote from: jkokura on December 12, 2012, 01:08:32 PM
I think I'd like to see some pedals with finished examples of what you're describing.

Oh, and Sun and Weather proof is not the same as wildly inaccurately stomping guitarist who abuses gear proof...

Jacob

haha, i've been thinking the same thing. Even in my pedal board case, stuff gets bumped around. I'll play with some of the stuff to see how strong it is, assuming i can find some locally. My wife makes bigger signs and actually just uses contact paper to make 'negative' painting masks.

I plan on doing my RC booster (quasar) this weekend. But it really depends on what my wife has planned for me. (She's pregnant with our first, and I've learned to do what she says during this).
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

mandrewbot3k

Heres a build report a fellow member, angrykoko, did using the same machine.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6121.0
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

jimmybjj

just an FYI, all of my my more recent build reports are done with vinyl. I don't use the actual vinyl for labeling, i use it as making for powder coat, the same can  be done with rattle cans.
Pcbs no longer available

angrykoko

I've been re-doing all my pedals with the vinyl letters, I think they look really nice.

It's a bit trickier than it may seem as the small letters (and dots above the i's ) dont stick well to their backing when your trying to pull away the part's you don't want to transfer.  I end up having to re-align everything and fiddle around with it for a while before transfer.  Try doing a few before you decide to offer this to folks :)

I've been using the "premium" vinyl, it's supposed to be stickier, weather proof bla bla bla but, I have no experience with being rough with them.  They do seem pretty darn stuck on though, takes some effort to remove them (like when you mess up).

As far as colors, this is a good site (look at the premium and standard vinyl colors):
https://www.ucutathome.com/store/subcat/Silhouette-America-Premium-Vinyl/id/544
https://www.ucutathome.com/store/subcat/Silhouette-America-Adhesive-Vinyl/id/199
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

mandrewbot3k

You know, the funny thing is my best friend is a screen printer, and I could easily have him do all of my pedals, but I like doing stuff myself.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)