News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Take two on chilaquiles, more great avocados.

Chickpea soup, pretty much a thinned down hummus with pomegranate seeds, lemon oil, cilantro and totally insipid cayenne, no heat whatsoever.

Saturday, take care.dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Delayed a week, last week ended up being entirely vegetarian or vegan dinners... back on schedule.

Osso Buco for two with polenta, orange/honey roasted carrots, pan roasted Brussels sprouts. The osso buco recipe i used this time was more  guidelines than recipe, no quantities or cooking times, general instruction suggested pureeing the cooking liquid and bits which i did and it tasted great but i know i would have enjoyed it much more intact. Onions, celery, carrots, fennel, pancetta, half jar of tomato chunks, half jar of tomato sauce, beef stock and wine.

Take care,dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

Nice Dave! I bake more than I cook. Here is my latest, it's a blueberry pastry. It tastes as good as it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rockola

Quote from: jimilee on January 31, 2021, 07:45:08 AM
Nice Dave! I bake more than I cook. Here is my latest, it's a blueberry pastry. It tastes as good as it looks.

Here's a pizza inspired by a silly poll on Twitter. Wish I had the photography chops of davent, because it was actually rather tasty. I substituted tomato paste for ketchup but otherwise it has every single one of the hated ingredients: onion, anchovies, black olives, pineapple, jalapenos, mushrooms.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

jimilee

Quote from: rockola on January 31, 2021, 12:14:58 PM
Quote from: jimilee on January 31, 2021, 07:45:08 AM

Here's a pizza inspired by a silly poll on Twitter. Wish I had the photography chops of davent, because it was actually rather tasty. I substituted tomato paste for ketchup but otherwise it has every single one of the hated ingredients: onion, anchovies, black olives, pineapple, jalapenos, mushrooms.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
As a vegetarian, I must say, it does look tasty.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

I love anchovies on pizza, as long as they are NOT white anchovies (the vinegary kind).  Yeah, ketchup is the only absolutely repulsive ingredient on that list for me (I do love ketchup, just not near pizza).
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

davent

Nice one Jimi, pefect for my sweet tooth slathered with butter.

Rockola, pizza looks good except for that pineapple, never ever heard of ketchup and pizza being compatible but all else good to go. When we do pizza we do two and on one anchovies are usually a topping of choice.

Pineapple, did once on a pizza, i love fresh pineapple but heat it, cook it or grill it, horrid, my mom would sometimes bake a pineapple upset down cake when i was a kid, didn't like what pineapple became then and nothing's changed.
dave

davent

Sunday dinner, Vegetable Masala started in the vegan corner then the ghee came out instead of vegetable oil to cook the vegetable, then i like to keep a bag of shrimp in the freezer cause you never know and this looked like one of those occasions...

Potatoes, red onion, our garden romano beans from the freezer, tomato sauce with fresh ginger and turmeric, a mess of spices, papadums, pistachios, cilantro and red sweet pepper because chilies are pretty scarce this time of year but have no fear, Arbol chili flakes for a bit uh zing. Shrimp.

February already, one down...
Take care,dave

rockola

Quote from: davent on January 31, 2021, 07:06:23 PM
Rockola, pizza looks good except for that pineapple, never ever heard of ketchup and pizza being compatible but all else good to go. When we do pizza we do two and on one anchovies are usually a topping of choice.

Pineapple, did once on a pizza, i love fresh pineapple but heat it, cook it or grill it, horrid, my mom would sometimes bake a pineapple upset down cake when i was a kid, didn't like what pineapple became then and nothing's changed.

Pineapple on pizza seems to be somewhat divisive. Here's an extract from the preface of my dissertation.

davent

Quote from: rockola on January 31, 2021, 10:16:59 PM
Quote from: davent on January 31, 2021, 07:06:23 PM

Pineapple on pizza seems to be somewhat divisive. Here's an extract from the preface of my dissertation.

Just one more thing to blame on Canada, we're sorry.
dave

davent

Roast/grill/rotisserie a chicken about once a month. I can take credit tonight for the shopping and the pictures.

Dinner for two, chicken stuffed with lemon, olive oil,  garlic, oregano and basil stuffed under the skin, roasted with potatoes, carrots, Brussels sprouts, radishes and onions, N. Spy apples for the pie, all from the farmer's market.

Have a decent February.dave

davent

Last few days have been the coldest so far this winter, soup to the rescue. Made stock on Friday, made the soup this afternoon.

Beef and barley soup, used short ribs, fall apart tender, beef, carrots, onions, celery, garlic, cremini mushrooms, stock, Guinness, Worcestershire, capers, tomato paste, fresh thyme, salt and pepper. Barley was cooked seperate and added to the bowls before ladling in the soup. Right kind of meal for the day.

Bucs up by a bunch... dave

jimilee

Shrimp and Grits, a staple on the South.

midwayfair

Quote from: jimilee on February 09, 2021, 03:42:20 PM
Shrimp and Grits, a staple on the South.

Is it the lighting, or zat yellow grits?

It's almost embarrassing how hard it is to get good grits in Baltimore, though Quaker is worth buying in a pinch. My favorite thing to do with it is set it into a loaf, slice it up, and fry it in butter. It's actually kind of funny how we've always had White Lilly flour for making biscuits here, and I can walk a mile in any direction to get some decent soul food, but there's just random food stuffs that don't seem to be popular a smidge too far north.

jimilee

It's actually just Quaker old fashioned grits. I put butter and cheddar cheese [emoji893] in there, that's probably what you're seeing.

It's hard to get actual stone ground grits, close by anyway. Last ones I got came from an hour away from here.